• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bourbon Chase

obmike

I did a 200 mile relay race this past week in Kentucky. It visited about 7 distillers and had a bourbon tasting at the end.

I've not tried too many different bourbons. I always have a bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet and usually stick to that. However, I took a shine to the Woodford Reserve. It got me thinking that I might need to try some different brands.

I want to try the Elijah Craig 18 year. Any others for my must try list?

You might give Booker's a try, one of my favorites. Be careful, it is 128 proof, so a little water or ice might make it right for you. It is also a bit pricey for bourbon, I paid $45 for 750ml yesterday. As a much cheaper alternative, I like Old Weller Antique (107 proof). Not as good, but I like it better than most popular brands (appr. $24 a fifth).

Ken

There's tons of them out there, but here's a couple that are pretty easy to find.

Four Roses Single Barrel
Four Roses Small Batch

If you haven't tried it, give Maker's Mark 46 a try. If you can find it, Van Winkle 12 year Lot B is very good.

I personally would recommend Knob Creek before Booker's unless you like bourbons that have a high alcohol content.

Knob Creek is very good. :thumbs:

I'm also partial to 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, a very smooth, wonderful sipping bourbon that sells for about a third less than brands like Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve. BTW, if you like Woodford Reserve, try Old Forester. My understanding is that it's a "young" Woodford made at the same distillery. Not as good, but quite similar, and only $13 or so for a fifth.

My big bourbon moment every year comes with the BTAC release and my annual case-plus of George T. Stagg cask strength. Oh, my. Bourbon of the gods. :love:

~Boar

I drank Makers for years without branching out. Then tried the 46 right around the time I joined CP. Tried a bottle of EC a few years ago but didn't really appreciate it and will likely revisit it. Recently I've branched out and like Woodford Reserve alot and Four Roses Small Batch. Just started some Buffalo Trace that is good as well. They're each a different flavor profile, but all good.

I'm also partial to 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, a very smooth, wonderful sipping bourbon that sells for about a third less than brands like Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve. BTW, if you like Woodford Reserve, try Old Forester. My understanding is that it's a "young" Woodford made at the same distillery. Not as good, but quite similar, and only $13 or so for a fifth.

My big bourbon moment every year comes with the BTAC release and my annual case-plus of George T. Stagg cask strength. Oh, my. Bourbon of the gods. :love:

~Boar

Old Forrester is distilled by Brown Foreman in Louisville in the same distillery as Early times. Woodford is distilled outside of Frankfort in its own facility, they do not cross blend. In the beginning when Woodford was introduced, obviously they did not have any 7 year old stock to bottle so they purchased their first several runs of stock from Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill.

EC 18 is good but you have already tried that. Im really digging Blantons Single Barrel right now. Knob Creek single barrel is good too.

George T. Stagg

Eagle Rare 17

Sazerac 18 yo Rye

Thomas H. Handy Rye

William Larue Weller

Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B"

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20

Vintage Bourbon 17

That should keep you busy drinkin' for awhile.

Rock Hills Farm is my favorite.

Woodford is very good for the price

Eagle Rare is yummy.

Eagle Rare 17 is some of the best bourbon i've had.

If you like regular Knob Creek spend the extra bucks and get the singe barrel version, it's much better!

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and many months ago, but I can't say enough good things about the Four Roses Small Batch. The Single Barrel is good but inconsistent in my opinion.

Dan, you amaze me. You are the Rain Man of bourbon. :)

I really like Basil Hayden at the moment.

~Boar

Old Forrester is distilled by Brown Foreman in Louisville in the same distillery as Early times. Woodford is distilled outside of Frankfort in its own facility, they do not cross blend. In the beginning when Woodford was introduced, obviously they did not have any 7 year old stock to bottle so they purchased their first several runs of stock from Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill.

Dan, you amaze me. You are the Rain Man of bourbon. :) I really like Basil Hayden at the moment.
Ha, I doubt that, it's called over zealous pursuit of information. AVB is waaaaaay more nowledgable than me on the subject.

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15
Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20

I wish people would stop mentioning this brand, I have searched high and low and can't find any near me :( reminds me how much I want to try some without giving up my first born :)

Back on topic sorry - I know a lot of people here like the more "specialized stuff" but Jack Daniels Honey is really good in coke or tonic water.