• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor project underway!

This thread makes me wonder if it wouldn't be inappropriate (or maybe a waste of money) to just put a spanish cedar false bottom in the coolerdor, with beads 1/4-1/2 inch deep over the whole bottom. Overkill? Sure, but you won't have to recharge them any time soon and they'll help humidity bounce back with a quickness after opening the cooler. Thoughts? I'm planning my first coolerdor and this was one of my hair-brained ideas.

This thread makes me wonder if it wouldn't be inappropriate (or maybe a waste of money) to just put a spanish cedar false bottom in the coolerdor, with beads 1/4-1/2 inch deep over the whole bottom. Overkill? Sure, but you won't have to recharge them any time soon and they'll help humidity bounce back with a quickness after opening the cooler. Thoughts? I'm planning my first coolerdor and this was one of my hair-brained ideas.

I guess it would depend on what you are considering the "whole bottom". I just bought (yesterday) a 150qt Coleman marine cooler for my project. I plan on sitting my cooler upright, so lining the whole bottom probably wouldn't be an overkill. If I were to lay the cooler the way it was supposed to be then lining the whole bottom would probably be a huge overkill, no to mention it would probably a major PIA to recharge the beads, as you would need to pull all your cigars out to get to the beads.

I am going to be putting 1.5 pounds of beads in my cooler (Heartfelt only recommends 1lb though). I will have them spread out around the cooler, probably about 3/4lb in the bottom , and 3/4lb somewhere in the middle area of the cooler. Probably not a huge issue to have all your beads in the same place, but my thinking is that having them spread out will allow the beads to recharge the whole system more efficiently.

After having a cooler with Heartfelt beads in it for over a year now, I can tell you to put the majority of your beads at the top/middle as the humidity will fall to the bottom naturally.

Unless of course you want to create two different rH zones, the top can get as low as 63% and the bottom would be at 68% depending on your rh type beads.

In regards to lining with cedar, as long as you have your cigars in their boxes it will be fine. I have cedar shelves and I'm considering taking them out for more room.

Food for thought from a hungry man!