• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cheese making

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Anybody else make their own cheese? I made some cheddar last weekend, and have some parm in the press, and am making ricotta from the whey.

Haven't had anything to do with cheese making since I was real young. My great-grandpa made several types of Italian cheeses. I loved to help. I used to knead and shape the mozzarella. You haven't lived until you've had fresh Buffalo Mozzarella! My other job was eating it.

He made something else called Ricotta Forte. I loved that stuff. I have found one place that sells it, and it costs 40 bucks to ship. Mostly the folks from Bari, Italy are familiar with it.

Not a whole lot of info on Ricotta Forte online, but what I've found sounds like it's Ricotta with cheese added and then drained periodically as it's aged. I'll have to give it a try.

Not a whole lot of info on Ricotta Forte online, but what I've found sounds like it's Ricotta with cheese added and then drained periodically as it's aged. I'll have to give it a try.

Yes, is is aged. It gets very pungent. We used to make a pizza with a potato dough. spread the dough, and let it rise. Spread hand torn San Marzano tomatoes, Buffalo (or fresh) Mozzerella, and Basil, cook it. We would take a slice of the pizza, and slice it in half, (butterfly the slice which risen is over an inch thick) then spread some Ricotta Forte in it. Man! Also makes a killer pasta "sauce".

Yes, is is aged. It gets very pungent. We used to make a pizza with a potato dough. spread the dough, and let it rise. Spread hand torn San Marzano tomatoes, Buffalo (or fresh) Mozzerella, and Basil, cook it. We would take a slice of the pizza, and slice it in half, (butterfly the slice which risen is over an inch thick) then spread some Ricotta Forte in it. Man! Also makes a killer pasta "sauce".

I just wet myself reading that!.....uuuuummmmmmm

photobucket-596-1330660066678.jpg

I love cheese... :love: My dad got me started on "good" cheese when I was a kid. He never came home from out of town without picking up some slices/slabs of the locals' cheese. Nice job on creating/attempting your own. It's nice to see people trying to do it themselves. Good Luck brother. Keep us posted on the progress.

Side note, whenever some says cheese- I always respond with the following:
"Cheeeeee-eee-eeese! Hey, didn't we lock you in a dumpster?" - Vince Vaughn in Old School

I've made Mozzarella many times, I'm actually about to make myself some for dinner tomorrow. Made a sourdough started for sourdough dough, no cook hand made fresh pizza sauce, going to pick up some hand made Duck Proscuttio and Veal Pepperoni from a buddy of mine who owns a high end salumi factory. Gonna be good eating tomorrow.

What type of wax did you seal it in? Does it have to be food grade or anything like that?

This excites me more than cigars......I'm just sayin......

All right Justin, you've got me curious. What is the process for making your own cheese? I would love to make some Mozzarella. I'm not currently aware of any water buffalo around these parts.

Clint, I bet you could find a water buffalo is your tried!

I was thinking it'd be cool to age my own cheese (either before or after I smoked it), but making it is interesting too. Don't know if I've got that kind of time... time to fire up my Google-Fu on cheesemaking.

Here is a link. (link) I've thought about doing it. My mom bought a cow for milk, but she has never gotten around to milking it.

photo-7.jpg

Sourdough pizza dough, fresh made mozzarella, no cook fresh sauce and some mini pepperoni I had laying around.

All right Justin, you've got me curious. What is the process for making your own cheese? I would love to make some Mozzarella. I'm not currently aware of any water buffalo around these parts.

Mozz is a totally different monster than other cheeses because you stretch it. I actually haven't made it yet, but there is a 30 minute mozz recipe that seems pretty well received.

I cut the cheeze, loud and proud, most every morning.

Did I win.....??..... :p