• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Wooden Ash Tray Thread

Vicster

Social identity theory
After seeing the great work being done making ash trays I was inspired to take a shot at one. I have a lathe in the shop that I haven’t touched in a year and a bunch of scrap wood. This was done from scrap cherry that I glued up and an old chunk of copper pipe. The wood is from a downed tree on my property. I also have some old growth wild Cherry, Maple, Ash and American Chestnut that I may take a run at next.

AT0041.jpg
AT0022.jpg
AT0062.jpg

Nice work. The copper pipe is an awesome addition.
You have talent my friend.

Dave

:thumbs: Those cigar holders are schweeet! Very fine job Vicster.

[sub]Very sweet work Man![/sub]

[sub]I love the copper idea. [/sub]

[sub]Paul[/sub]

Nice work, looks great. How long did it take to make it?

Nice work, looks great. How long did it take to make it?

I am not really sure. I would guess a couple of hours with the glue up, this is actually a pain in the azz. Around three hours turning, I did it over a couple of evenings so I am not really sure. The copper took at least four hours with all the filing and polishing. Next one I will have to keep track of my time.

I posted some larger pics in my gallery.

Ok, thanks for the info, can't wait to see more pics.

Nice job. I think turning it would be the way I would do it as well.

Thanks for the comments. I had some time this weekend and took a shot at a chunk of oak. You never know what you will get out of a turn until you get into it. This had some very interesting character. You can see what this started out as.

IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg

Your thread has started me looking at some wood I have laying around that could be used for such a project.

Now I have to convince the wife I really need a lathe :laugh:

Another nice job!

Nice work... I want a lathe someday. I'll just be making a hell of a lot of bowls and ashtrays, but I think it's interesting to see what's in the wood as it turns. :)

Those bowls look very nice. I like them both just the same, that last one have some good colors in it.