• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A good 20-40 count?

martinman

Hi Everyone,

I'm torn between a tupperdor and a nice small humidor. About 4 yrs ago I went the humidor route from cheaphumorous.com and had a heck of a time keeping rel. humidity up. It was a constant battle. (used beads, digital calibrated hygdrometer). Fast forward a few years and I'm slowly getting back into cigars. Currently it's a golf / weekend habit, with special occasions thrown in here and there.

So I'm thinking that i won't have to fight with a tupperdor, but, it's not exactly "presentable"... I'm really leaning toward a humidor and want a "good" one that is easy to take care of. I'd like to hold about 20 smokes + beads.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'll be doing my first noobie trade in a looong time soon, so I need something to store them in!

Thanks!
Mark

Id say go with a hundred count or so. I know you feel you need a smaller me but it's always better to go bigger than you're thinking especially hanging out here. You can get a hundred count a lot of places for under 90 bucks. I have one I paid 80 some bucks for at a B&M and it's still going strong. I know a lot of people use the beads but I personally like the boveda packs for smaller humidors (under 500).

Plus if you want it to be "presentable" I'm assuming youre having people over who care about humidors so you might want to stock some extra cigars for them. :)

If you're going to go that small, go with a travel humidor, imo. Works great for day-to-day use and you can always take it with you. If you want something nice to look at, go larger.

-John

I spent some time and looked at the travel options. Definetly the right size, but i dont think the sticks will age that much given the environment (yes, I want it all :) ).

100ct is way too much. Id have to fill it all the way up, then I'd have to smoke them.... Hmm... There are certainly worse things! Seriously, I think maybe 40-50ct might be my max.

Ah - maybe a bad assumption... I thought the humidor - specifically the cedar - contributed to the aging process (in addition to stablizing humidity).

Make it simple for yourself so you can get back into enjoying the hobby. Pick up a Lock & Lock container, new beads ( ...only use distilled water!) , fresh batteries for your digital hygrometer (...don't forget to calibrate it!) , and use your previous wood humidor as a dry box when you want a formal presentation.

Finally orderd the right one (38 cup Lock and Lock from Amazon) and I should have it this weekend. I was tossed up between another larger humidor or a coolidor/tuppador and wound up going the cheaper route. What made me go this route was someone saying you could spend $15-$20 vs $75-$100 on a humidor and have more money for cigars.

You'll have plenty of storage but wont have to worry about regulating RH. If you decide on the Lock and Lock, all you'll have to do is open the lid once in a while b/c it creates so good of a seal that air will not be able to pass through it. You can still get a smaller humidor as recommended above for display purposes. I am doing this as well. Good luck.

The lock and locks are great. I've used them since they were first released. Just remember that if you do not smoke too often, you need to open it up every few weeks for some air transfer.

OK guys - thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be going with the lock container!

Do you use cedar trays or separators to better organize things?

Well, close - I have a 58 reissue. The pic is a real '59. Only a slight difference :). *cough*.

The top is almost identical though!

I have a lock and lock that holds approx 15 sticks. I don't leave home (for any length of time) without it! Great product.

Depending on which size, you can go with shelves or old cigar boxes. Your local B & M should have them for free or a small fee. You will have to season whichever you go with. For some of your singles, you could put them in an open zip lock bag or a cigar zip lock bag that has sections. Im sure your local store has them too.

What im not sure about is if you need to leave the lid on or off and if on, opened or closed.