• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Y'alls thoughts on a humidor design

Asel.mike

Professional nerd
I'm thinking of making a 150-200 ct. humidor. I was inspired by a wine crate I saw and I've decided to use 3/8" formaldehyde-free cabinet grade plywood for the whole thing. The cost is not prohibitive, seeing as a sheet is $40-60, and thats enough for probably 2 humi's if I'm careful.

The box would have outside dimensions of 11.5"x12"x20"
6923839012_9e25363842.jpg

Here's the inside with a view of the bottom. These dividers would be removable for boxes. However, they are spaced appropriately for a 25 ct. box in each section. The spaces between dividers are about 6"x5"x9".
Also, for humidification, a false back wall is included. It has 6 long vertical holes for airflow to all the lower and upper sections. The beads would hang in bags behind the false wall.
6923839022_7a9078d1d6.jpg

The first singles tray sits above the box storage area. Its 1.5" deep, but has a 2" lip on both ends to allow space between the singles trays for airflow. The lip would also allow for stacking singles.
6923839046_5bf129c2b4.jpg

The second singles tray is the same as the first, except it has a hole in the middle to allow the handle from the first tray to come through to grab.
6923839048_04014d35ac.jpg

If anybody has any criticisms please share, so I can improve my design.
Thanks!

Make it a 2000 count, you'll need it. Just saying... Looks nice though!

Nice design. Would there be issues with the wood warping since there's only the one thin plywood wall?

The pieces are small enough that I wasn't too concerned about war page, I guess I could double up though.
The woood would be joined by butt joints or dado joints with glue and nails

On the small one I built (100 sticks), I added a slightly raised slatted bottom for circulation under the sticks. Seems to work real well.

That's a really cool design! Any sort of handle or grip indentations planned for the top tray? I like it a lot.

I can't speak to the construction or materials that you are thinking about using. I would however encourage you to have slots cut in your top tray as you see in most humidor trays. The false back may allow for proper humidification of the tray but why risk it? Make sure you post pictures as you go through the building process. Have fun!

Alright, so we're thinking a false bottom, and slots in the bottoms of the trays.

The new tray with ventilation.
6925873500_815c1b22f0.jpg

Bottom with ventilation.
7071954129_b17b70345d.jpg

X ray view of new vents on the bottom.
6925875582_6e007b8aa9.jpg

Vey cool ideas you have. I can't wait to see this bad boy being built!

Paul

Also bad ass design work mike!

Very nice!!! can't wait to watch it take shape.

I'm going to be addicted to seeing this progress. The design graphics and idea so far are fantastic as expected.

I like the idea of the humidification along the rear wall. That will service all levels. The relief on the bottom will aid circulation, as do your slots in the trays as well.
Just make sure that your glue will not be toxic or outgas. Just call the company and talk to an application engineer or look for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
I will enjoy watching this come to fruition.

I like the idea of the humidification along the rear wall. That will service all levels. The relief on the bottom will aid circulation, as do your slots in the trays as well.
Just make sure that your glue will not be toxic or outgas. Just call the company and talk to an application engineer or look for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

I'm planning on using my normal wood glue. (the same stuff I used for my current humidor)
It's food safe for things like cutting boards so I assumed it would be okay. I think calling the manufacturer just to be sure.

I'm planning on using my normal wood glue. (the same stuff I used for my current humidor)
It's food safe for things like cutting boards so I assumed it would be okay. I think calling the manufacturer just to be sure.

OK, Brother. It's time for you to work your magic. Have fun.

Looks like a great project. Nice CAD work also, what program are you using?