• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenmorangie 18 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
I had to rent a truck and get some furniture today. The AVO XO I had during the drive was pretty good (my first) and I'll have to get more sometime. Anyway, once I got home I, of course, had to move the entire living room around a few times so we could decide that were we planned everything actually was the best place. You married guys should know what I mean. :) By the time this evening rolled around I was looking forward to dinner and afterwards a nice scotch.

Glenmorangie is made at one of the most northern distilleries in Scotland. The 18 yo version that I'm reviewing is 86 proof and costs $85 here in Pennsylvania but can be found for $65-75 most other places. The Glenmorangie distillery makes a number of "finishes" on their 12 yo offerings, Scotch stored in Port, Sherry or Madiera wood casks but the 18 yo is aged in Ozark Mountain Oak casks only.

Glenmorangie%2018.JPG

This scotch noses very well with aromas that remind one of Butterscotch and some chocolate in the background. Very nice. Glenmorangie has a light taste and because of this takes very well to water. The dilution of the alcohol lets the more subtle flavors emerge. Personally, I would recommend a 50% cut to start with. 2 shots of whisky and one shot of distilled water seem to work best for me but some may like a 1:1 cut.

Once diluted to your preference, Glenmorangie will give you that chocolate first noticed during the nosing. After a bit, a hint of mint a dry sweetness envelop your tastebuds before dissappearing in a fairly quick finish. This is not a "drinking" scotch but more of a sipping desert style scotch, one that should go well with a number of cigars due to the light taste.

For me this is not a great scotch but may be a good one for a beginning scotch drinker because it cuts so nicely with water. Not a "must have" but a "nice to have" in my collection.

Hey, thanks for your posts in this section, AVB. I'm trying to expand beyond my VSOP and Irish Cream addiction and have had some bad scotch in my younger years. Your recomendations will be put forth.

I suffered from Inver House, Windsor and Segrams too in my younger days. All nasty blends good only for spiking the punch in the frat house, if that. :p

Has anyone else noticed the price dropping on Glenmorangie 18?

Last fall about the best I could buy this for in AZ was $129.99. Today I saw it for $84.99.

Yup. Got the email today, on special for $76 at Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa. The Port and Sherry Cask are also on sale for $37, close to half off.

Has anyone else noticed the price dropping on Glenmorangie 18?

Last fall about the best I could buy this for in AZ was $129.99. Today I saw it for $84.99.

Wow, it hasn't dropped here yet. I just looked it up on my main B&Ms website and it is $150.99.

Edited because "local B&M" is redundant. :rolleyes:

No such price drop here, Randy. If it approaches $84.99 I'll be snatching one up.

Yup. Got the email today, on special for $76 at Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa. The Port and Sherry Cask are also on sale for $37, close to half off.
Those whiskies were discontinued years ago. Glenmorangie was originally owned by Brown-Foreman. When Moet Hennessy bought it, they discontinued a lot of items and released others. If it's in a canister, assume they are going to be discontinued.

If it's in a canister, assume they are going to be discontinued.

The bottles I saw were the newer version and came in a fancy display box.

I've never been a huge fan of this version mainly because it was about the same price as Macallan 18, which to me is far superior. At this price, I just might change my mind.

If it's in a canister, assume they are going to be discontinued.

The bottles I saw were the newer version and came in a fancy display box.

I've never been a huge fan of this version mainly because it was about the same price as Macallan 18, which to me is far superior. At this price, I just might change my mind.
The bottles in the box are the newer version. If you can get a good price on that, jump all over it.

Those whiskies were discontinued years ago. Glenmorangie was originally owned by Brown-Foreman. When Moet Hennessy bought it, they discontinued a lot of items and released others. If it's in a canister, assume they are going to be discontinued.

Yup. The sale prices are on the newer versions. Even has the new naming convention like Quinta Ruban, La Santa, Nectar D'or that Moet implemented when they bought Glenmorangie.

Yup. The sale prices are on the newer versions. Even has the new naming convention like Quinta Ruban, La Santa, Nectar D'or that Moet implemented when they bought Glenmorangie.
I'm going to have to put a call out to my Moet Hennessy rep. They always say they wont lower the price and now I see this. I might buy these bottles. It's a lot cheaper than my wholesale cost.

That's fine but please don't get Hi Time in trouble. They are one of the better vendors here is SoCal.

That's fine but please don't get Hi Time in trouble. They are one of the better vendors here is SoCal.
They didn't do anything wrong. I couldn't possibly get them in trouble. Moet Hennessy is just being difficult. You have to prove a point to them every now and again. Maybe I can get a better price and pass along the savings.