• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mason Dixon Project 2014 - Southern Edition

suprchunk

What kind of bug is this?
Here is my review of the second in the Crowned Heads MDP 2014, the Southern Edition. Review of the Northern Edition can be found here. That should alleviate the need for me to repeat most of the fluff.

Details of said cigar, again sniped from Halfwheel:
  • Cigar Reviewed: The Mason-Dixon Project—Limited Edition 2014 Southern Edition
  • Country of Origin: Nicaragua
  • Factory: My Father Cigars S.A.
  • Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
  • Binder: Nicaragua
  • Filler: Nicaragua
  • Size: 6 Inches
  • Ring Gauge: 52
  • Vitola: Toro
  • MSRP: $9.85 (Boxes of 20, $197)
  • Release Date: Oct. 22, 2014
  • Number of Cigars Released: 1,250 Boxes of 20 Cigars (25,000 Total Cigars)
Visually almost the same as the Northern with the obvious being the shade of wrapper, this being Connecticut. Slightly veiny, smooth as well with a texture that some may say is toothy, but I feel it is just from the veins. As the wrapper itself is very smooth to the touch. I've had a toothy wrapper, and this isn't it. Nice latte color. Slight blemish where the wrapper near the foot may have been snagged on something. Possibly when putting into the cello wrapper. Other than that, a very well constructed stick. Same 'give' as the Yankee version, firm but with some soft spots. Not much in the aroma; tobacco, leather, slight wood - nowhere near as woody as the other edition had.

Cut just below the cap as per my usual routine. Took a draw and was met with sweet tobacco, leather and wood. More leather than wood, and more leather than the other edition. And the wood more like balsa wood. Medium draw, same as before. Tobacco is more light than the other one as well.

Light and first third:

After toasting I only get a very faint whiff of tobacco. Very little pepper. Dry tobacco - only way I can think of to describe it. As I get into this third it starts getting a bit creamy. Still not a whole lot going on. Further still I start getting a creamy coffee, similar to a cappuccino or cafe au lait. Reminiscent, to me at least, of a Vegas Robaina. Except I'm not getting the slight cinnamon I get from the Robaina. One of my favorite cigars mind you. This, like the last, cannot keep the ash intact. Continuing on greets me with the same level of creamy. Gone are the peppery notes.

Second third:

The third picks up where the last left off - creamy. The pepper returns and the profile switches to a more rounded creaminess that likens itself, to me, of a Cuban Cohiba. This continues throughout and is really impressing me. There is glimmers of cocoa popping up from time to time, but does not persist but for a few draws. Towards the end of this third I start picking up some leathery notes, but the creaminess is still there.

Final third:

Entering into this third, within a few draws I start getting some more of the pepper from very early on. It starts to overpower the creamy notes for a good while, though the creaminess is still there. The pepper, I'm guessing because of the creaminess mixed in with it, is less like a black pepper and more akin to white pepper. But not as strong. And it is more prevalent in the retrohale. The ashes continue to fall at the most inopportune times. Often on my reading material. The burn thus far has been razor sharp, and continues. I've not had to relight or retouch this one, unlike the other version. The smoke is getting stronger. A slight nicotine buzz is coming on. It's losing some of the pepper, but remains creamy. Towards the nub (about 2 inches left in the smoke), the burn starts to lose its sharpness and I have to touch it up a bit on one side. Also the pepper picked back up. A slight bitterness at the end. Perhaps from two draws so close together, as the last draw is the familiar creamy pepper.

Overall:

I wasn't impressed with this one until I got a good half inch into it. From there it stayed the same, mostly, throughout the entire smoke. With just the slight peppery to full on peppery spiciness dipping in and out. If I could have started at the point where it started hitting its stride and reminded me of the Vegas Robaina I really would have loved this. As it is right now I only really like it. It is by far better than some cheap smokes I've had, but not as good as other smokes I've had in this price range. If it was priced $3 less than it is, I'd be all over it. I might still pick up a box to pass out or trade, but I'll wait until I try the 2015 versions before making that decision. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone try them out though, at least once. It's a good Sunday morning smoke. What that means for me is a nice cigar to sit on the porch on a lazy Sunday morning and sipping a good cup of latte and reading the paper. This one I enjoyed in just at two hours. This and the Northern version are the longest I think I've ever smoked a stick. Often I seem to rush through them. Usually I don't have the time to sit back and relax with a cigar for that long. Luckily I did these two times.

Please excuse this last crappy picture, I almost all out of light. Damn daylight savings time!

Between the two, which did you like more? I gravitate to the Northern version.