• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WindingDown

It's been about 6 months since I built my "File-a-dor"

I know when I first was looking into building a new storage unit for my cigars I was searching high and low for the "right way" to make it. All the information pointed to cooler-dor (too big for my needs) or tupper-dor.
Based on my storage need I opted for a Tupper-dor but for the life of me could not find a suitable size (all too small). Now I've seen videos of people storing there cigars in totes (no seal) with success but for where I live, this time of year, it gets DRY. The one realization that I had despite having read it a thousand times is that any plastic container that has a decent seal will do.

While walking through target I came across this "air resistant, Moisture resistant" file storage box. It was $9.99 so I figured worst comes to worst if it doesn't work, oh well.

To those who are new to hobby and need some storage you can follow these simple steps:

1. Figure out the size you want and double that... I mean it.
  2. Get creative, if you need to modify something, make it hap'n cap'n.
  3. This isn't a piece of furniture like those humidors that cost the big bucks so don't worry about someone seeing it, and if they do and are in the cigar hobby, then they will surely understand the value. Function>Aesthetics. If it seals, it's safe.
  4. Regardless of the container it WILL NEED A WASH (and a few days to air out). Baking Soda and water does indeed work.
  5. Humidification, for me with a build of this size, all I needed was Heartfelt beads (65%, use your own preferred beads). Most on this forum will tell you Heartfelt is the way to go.
  6. Lastly, go to your local B&M and get some cedar cigar boxes (of your preferred size). Not only does it provide storage (generally stackable storage) but the cedar helps regulate the humidity.
This is not all inclusive and there are certainly much better Threads on this site to read into the "how-to" details of it but I wanted to show those that may be on the edge of whether to build or to buy that building is easy and (relatively) cheap. This entire build cost me less than $90.00 which includes the accessories. Actual storage + Humidification is less than $60 and could probably store +/- 500 (thats just a guess).
  • Storage Unit: $9.99 + Tax
  • Spanish Cedar Cigar Boxes: 3 for $10.00 at my [preferred] local B&M. (I'd give them a shout out but I don't know the rules on doing that here?)
  • 1 Pound Heartfelt 65%: $33.95 + Tax and Shipping
  • Semi-disposable food storage containers: $5.00
  • Spray bottle (to spray the distilled H2O on the beads): $3.00
  • Xicar Digital Hygrometer: $20.00
  • Boveda Hygrometere Calibration kit: $5.00

Thank you.

I've been thinking of adding a plastic box to expand my storage, this is just what I needed to see to put me over the edge.
Great writeup and great pics.

:D:D:D:D:D

What I didn't mention was that this thing has been rock solid at 65% and maintenance free.
I really have to keep an eye on my savoy this time of year and have to go about the business of keeping a shot glass of distilled in it to maintain 65%

Thanks the detailed review, it's a great idea.
Edit:
I forgot to add, nice stick selection!

Thanks the detailed review, it's a great idea.
Edit:
I forgot to add, nice stick selection!

Thank you. I haven't quite hit the point in my life where I can drop the big bucks (only 27) so I've been fortunate to find many cigars to my liking within my preferred price range of $4.00-$8.00 per stick.

Nicely done, maybe add a little fan in there to have better air circulation and remember to open the box at least once a week.

Nicely done, maybe add a little fan in there to have better air circulation and remember to open the box at least once a week.

I do open it every 1-2 weeks. Honestly I'm not sure I would even know how to put a fan in? Are they just battery operated fans?

What's the theory behind opening the box every week or so?

I do open it every 1-2 weeks. Honestly I'm not sure I would even know how to put a fan in? Are they just battery operated fans?

You can use either or but if it was me, I would use computer fans with a simple lamp timer to control how often and at which times of the day should the fans come on. I would make a small hole on the box, put the wires through it and then seal it with some type of non-toxic aquarium silicone sealant. Do a couple of searches here or on google for "wineador computer fans with timer"

You can use either or but if it was me, I would use computer fans with a simple lamp timer to control how often and at which times of the day should the fans come on. I would make a small hole on the box, put the wires through it and then seal it with some type of non-toxic aquarium silicone sealant. Do a couple of searches here or on google for "wineador computer fans with timer"

Thank you for the info. I may have to look into that. Unfortunately it'd have to be battery powered or not at all as my fileador sits in my closet which isn't near an outlet and there is nowhere else to move it as I live in a 2br 800 sq/ft apartment and have to keep it out of site of my almost 4 year old. Damn kids, glad I never was one...

That's a great idea. Wondering, did the box have a bad plastic smell when you got it? If so, how did you get rid of it?

That's a great idea. Wondering, did the box have a bad plastic smell when you got it? If so, how did you get rid of it?
It did have a plastic smell. I used baking soda and water. I made a slightly thinner than paste mix (just enough that it stays on the side) and rinsed it out after 10-15 minutes. After that I just let it air out for a few days. Voila, no more plastic smell