• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Love the little Cuban flag. :)

PS I have noticed a few of the same things you did in your wonderful review and maybe they should sit a little longer like a couple of years before smoking again.

golfgar said:
Love the little Cuban flag. :)

PS I have noticed a few of the same things you did in your wonderful review and maybe they should sit a little longer like a couple of years before smoking again.
Well let me know if you ever need a test Guinea pig. I had a blast trying to figure it all out.

So I smoked this cigar Tuesday at work since I wasn't going to have time to do my proper review.  This is going to be short and sweet.  This one came from the Pugman.

sml_gallery_19975_1936_269528.jpg

To start off, its a perfecto shape about 6" with a nice wrapper and firm feel to it.

sml_gallery_19975_1936_325414.jpg

First couple of puffs after the light are ho hum but it quickly begins to take off with a sweet wood and spice.  The spice is a singular spice but still can't name it, clove maybe.  By the end of the first third I am thinking a cromagnon with the smokes rustic quality, just not as beastly in its body.

Decided to take a short break for a word from our sponsors, the Hawaii Tourism Authority.
Come for the views, stay because of traffic.
med_gallery_19975_1936_1308665.jpg

The second third was pretty much a continuation of the first but with the strength going from low medium to high medium.
sml_gallery_19975_1936_618787.jpg

Went well with a RB since I couldn't have a real beer.
sml_gallery_19975_1936_1688019.jpg

The last third had the flavors start to muddle with the strength staying in the high medium.  Still thing Cro-Magnon with this one.  The wrapper began to unravel about here but that was my doing so eventually put it down.
sml_gallery_19975_1936_1009703.jpg

At the end I was still thinking Cro-Magnon but don't recall this exact vitola.  Maybe another Roma Craft, like Intemperance?
med_gallery_19975_1936_426716.jpg

Nope a Macanudo.  Decent cigar in my book.  I remember seeing these at my local with the metal ring on them.  May just grab one next time I am there.  Thanks Ed for the nice afternoon.

Thank goodness I had a chance to smoke this one last week, because the temp has dropped to highs of 20 degrees, and now there's snow covering my porch.

So here goes nothing! Zack3140 sent me this stick.

Beautiful oily wrapper. Perfecto style. Cameroon from the looks of it. I want to say an Oliva series O right off the bat, but maybe I'm being hasty.

Smell is pretty thick hay with some earthy notes.

For the record. It's 2:45 here and the sun is setting. I've got maybe an hour and a half of light and warmth left. 45 degrees. Nice temp for a cigar. :) but hey, no snow! That's fantastic news!

First 3rd.
Lots of hay, sweet cream and a bit of garlic salt. Then again, the garlic salt might be coming from the kitchen. This cigar billows white smoke and leaves a pleasing aftertaste on the tongue. Straight up medium body and strength so far.

I've only had one Oliva before but it has a distinct taste. I feel my first instinct was right. The cold weather forces more relights than I care to admit, and it is causing a bit of a burnt taste to the tobacco. The burnt taste is picking up as I go, not pleasing on the aftertaste or the retrohale. I'm hoping this cigar is just warming up.

2nd third
Starting the second third in getting a lot more hay and cream but no real distinct difference of flavor. Starting to lean more towards an Alec Bradley now. Perhaps a black market? Pretty average cigar at the moment. Nothing mind-blowing. The construction is starting to peel pretty badly, and the aftertaste is still very rough. The ash is holding well. Burning okay too.

3rd third
The wrapper is starting to really splinter, and the creaminess is still the chief taste. Very disappointed in the construction. I've never seen a cigar do this. Still getting a bit of a burnt aftertaste in my mouth. The construction is giving me more problems now. Disappointing because the oily wrapper with no real veins at the beginning had made a strong impression. Also disappointed with the lack of the complexity, but there is plenty of billowing smoke!

Total smoke time? 1.5 hours almost on the nose.

Verdict? Personally this cigar has a generally appealing creamy taste, but the aftertaste of burnt smoke, the lack of complexity and the construction for me makes it a no-go. I wasn't a big fan, but I'm always happy to try a new cigar. I appreciate Zack sending it over to me so I can pinpoint my own profile.

If you're into a lot of billowing smoke and creamy flavor and don't mind a little bitter in the aftertaste, this cigar is for you!

Turns out it was a Johnny Tobacconaut!

I was way off. :) Good times!

Thanks for the well done review!

I didn't forget about my review. I am responspible for a major case which started a few weeks ago. I've been working 16 hour days for the past few weeks and so I've had no time to enjoy the blind cigar. I hope to have it done soon. Please be patient with me. This case is really involved. Thanks

I didn't forget about my review. I am responspible for a major case which started a few weeks ago. I've been working 16 hour days for the past few weeks and so I've had no time to enjoy the blind cigar. I hope to have it done soon. Please be patient with me. This case is really involved. Thanks

Prime example of life happening and letting us know. Thanks for updating and good luck with the case!

Brian - I wonder if the cold and low humidity weather came into play and helped causes the wrapper to crack and split so much. I have a couple that I've been letting rest. I may wait until it turns warm again.

I'm wondering the same thing. Cigar season (other than indoor smoking at the very few MN establishments who allow it) is pretty much over for me until spring... :( Now we're getting temps in the 20's and below, and the humidity level outside is 15% or so. My wineador is really struggling just to hold at 60%. I may need to invest in active humidification.

Ok in Chicago 56 degree weather I ventured outside to relax and enjoy my blind cigar compliments of Michael D.

The first look it's a nice wrapper a few strong veins running through. My first smell before lighting up I detected a sweet aroma not sure but it peaked my curiosity. The wrapper was dark giving me the belief it was maybe Honduran. The light was even and very nice.

View media item 11545
The first 1/3 I detected some sweet notes that matched what I sensed earlier. Also detected maybe some light oak, spices maybe pepper. It was a very smooth draw very enjoyable even with a cold breeze blowing. After the draws I could detect the same notes. Very enjoyable, definitely a full flavor, maybe medium to full body smoke. I swear I am still detecting something sweet but I have no idea what it is. As you can tell the burn is not even but that may be due to the breeze outside.

View media item 11546
The next 1/3 of this smoke I still get a lot of the same flavor notes. Its definitely very smooth and really enjoyable. You can detect the earthiness of the tobacco, the sweet notes seem to be fading. But as the sweet notes fade I get some strong oak flavors. The ash was very nice but a stiff breeze came through and took care of that. But this smoke has got me stumped. I am not sure, maybe not Honduran, Nicaraguan?

View media item 11543
As I get to the last 1/3 I laugh cause I wonder if I have ever tasted leather because I get a strong feeling that is a flavor I am getting. So a note of leather but still the oak, and spices. The real thing that comes through is the last 1/3 is much stronger more of a full body smoke. I get a slight hint of the sweetness but not much. Its a good smoke definitely one to add to my arsenal. By the end I am totally lost but no matter what this is it's good and gets a thumbs up from me. The winner is ...

View media item 11544
Pardon Importado!! Very nice

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it. Now get those photos fixed. I for one can't see them in your thread and the links take me to a AOL site.

OK, just so we are clear. My taste buds are on/off switches. I'm terrible at discerning nuances.

View media item 11642
Here we are before fire.

Nice high quality wrapper and very nice feel to the cigar. It's still a bit dry from the trip from MN to TX, but it should be good to go. Smells a bit sweet like cherry or raisins. Touch of cedar.

Clipped the cap and cold draw had a definite sweet aroma. Can't really place it. Dried prunes, raisins again?

View media item 11643
Lit up at 7:15.
Very mild flavor with a touch of nicotine tingle to the lips and tongue.
Rich creamy white smoke....and lots of it.

7:30 still 1/3
Tons of smoke.
Smooth, creamy and mild. Bit of Caramel and coffee on the retrohale. Almost tastes like dark malted barley.

View media item 11644
7:50 moving into 2/3
Wrapper is splitting in a couple places. Still too dry. :(
Still on the mild side and lots of smoke like a Drew Estate??? Totally clueless on this stick...

8:10 2/3
Burning a bit faster, bit less smoke. Flavor is suddenly spicy. Really digging this new profile.

8:20 about half thru 2/3
Spice is gone. :(
Smooth is back. :)
Still ranking this one as mild to medium. Assuming at this point this stick has some good age on it. Clueless.

8:30
I can taste a toasted flavor. Like a toasted cherry coridal....hell yeah, that would be awesome. A toasted cherry cordial would be delicious.

View media item 11645
8:45 Final third is online.
Still a delicious toasty flavor. Smooth and pretty mild. Have I mentioned how clueless I am on this stick??

9:20
Had to relight. Suddenly copious amounts of smoke, flavor is full tilt bold now! Delicious. Suddenly, it's hitting on all cylinders and feels like it could be an Opus. Very strong notes of cedar after relight. I'm really enjoying the last few minutes I have left with this stick.

9:25
Down to the nub, hate to be at the end. It started so good, and was great by the end.

View media item 11648
And the blind stick was a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic. This may have been my first, but it won't be my last!!! Great stick, thank you @MNBrian for sending this blind review package out to me.

I had so much fun doing this review. Honestly, I believe it helped not knowing the name, because I was completely objective.

Nice review, puts us right into the experience ! I have fun reading along with these blind reviews and jumping to conclusions about what it might be.

Fantastic review Scap! Loved it!

Yeah like I said, for some reason I haven't tried many Don Pepin's but this one really took me by surprise with the complexity. Had to see what you thought!

Seems like your experience and surprise mirrored mine! :)

That's an older band, therefore at least from 2009ish/2010ish when el Rey de Los Habanos became my father cigars. That original 1979 Cuban classic was one of my early favorites. Nice review!