• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Sheila Jackson Lee thought the Mars Rover might take a pic of the flag Neil Armstrong planted....

Ok, I have to bust your chops a little bit. Since when is Guam a state?
lol well they let Hawaii in as a state so Guam can't be to far behind! Kidding aside I'm pretty sure Hank Johnson is the Democratic representative for GA which is in fact a state that he was elected to represent the people of. Though his comments were about the US Territory of Guam.

Last edited:
Hank Johnson is the Democratic representative for GA
Yep, a GA. boy. He is famous for a lot of odd comments. He has an odd sense of humor, so it is "possible" he was trying to be funny.
Regardless, the Admiral is to be commended for his composure after such a statement.

This is my Blind review of the cigar from Bill

This cigar is very dense and firm, dark brown wrapper. It looks to be about a 50 rg and right around 63/4 inches give to or take. I didn't measure it to get an exact size before hand though I should have.
image.jpeg

Prelight: A very nice sweetness off the wrapper with some barnyard and earth. A slight gram cracker aroma is evident as well. The draw is very tight.
image.jpeg

After clipping the head the cold draw exhibited a sweetness on the lips with anise and baking spices of cinnamon and nutmeg. I used cedar strips to light the cigar.

image.jpeg

The first third has a creamy velvety buttery feel coating my mouth. The butteriness lingers on with a sweetness. There is a very nice flavor component of anise, nutmeg, cinnamon with a touch of honey. As I continue into further into the first third notes of cedar and leather come out. This cigar definitely has some age on it. It has some nice Partagas spice to it though much more mellow and refined. The burn is near perfect except for one spot which doesn't seem to want to cooperate, the tight draw has opened up at about the 1 inch mark and I've had no issues since.

image.jpeg

The second third of this cigar still maintains a sweetness mixing with the spice. This is not something I come across to often and it is a nice treat. Sweet cream and honey in the background with Pepper, cedar, leather and cocoa throughout. A very complex well rounded cigar that is surprisingly elegant. The ash fell off halfway through the second third when the burn evened itself out. THe draw has been perfect after opening up in the first third.

image.jpeg

Final third the cocoa and pepper has become more prominent while the baking spices are still there just more subtle. The sweetness has died down and comes in and out at various moments but is no longer one of the dominate characteristics. There is still a velvety feel on the lips and mouth as the smoke is very rich and thick. Leather and cedar round this cigar off as I get towards the end.

image.jpeg

Final thoughts. This was a very nice aged cigar. smoking tie was right around 2 hrs. Complex and strong yet mellow and refined. I would love to have a few more of these as it is one of the top 10 cigars I have smoked and probably one of the top 5 if not top 3 for me so far this year. The Partagas flavors were definitely there but softer more refined and mellow which I truly enjoyed. Based on the size, I can say that this is not part of their regular production. I know I have smoked this cigar in the past when it was more toothy and youthful. I can only recall one Partagas that is roughly this size so my guess would be the PSD #1 EL

image.jpeg

And the Answer is

image.jpeg

Partagas Series D No. 1 EL 2004

I am surprised that I am correct as I don't tend to smoke a lot of Partagas cigars. This one was an incredible cigar and a treat to have the chance to enjoy.

Thanks so much Bill!

Josh, excellent review, you were very accurate with the flavors, and this is also one of my top rated cigars...

Well done Bravo! Thanks for posting the review.

Just wanted to mention that my blind review is a bit tardy due to record low temps in my area coupled with the size of my mystery stick. But, hallelujah, warmer air is coming. So this Saturday I will throw open the window and smoke at will! :)

A beautiful day in Delaware! A great day for a cigar, I say. :) Here is a 6.5 inch x 52 ring toro that Josh sent me to review. It has a closed foot and a little nub on a double cap.
The wrapper and foot smells of barnyard with a hint of cocoa. The wrapper is rustic and rough with a couple prominent veins. I punch it but decide to clip to increase the firm draw. This cigar is well packed and quite firm. Prelight draw is the same as the wrapper - mostly barnyard. This reminds me of cigars from twenty years ago.

tmp_7585-IMG_20160220_1309317252129716907.jpg

After firing, the first draw is woody with vegetal aspects. Draw is firm and good with a decent amount of smoke. The ash is grey and first falls after an inch.
tmp_7585-IMG_20160220_141623755_HDR-491543404.jpg

Very little complexity in the first third as the second ash holds on into the second third.
Some sweetness develops but still mostly woody in character. At this point most big cigars would show more complexity but this has been pretty one-dimensional so far. With the good construction and the fancy closed foot and nubby cap I would peg it for a boutique cigar. But the lack of dimension makes me wonder. The last third does develop some Nicaragua spice which helps the blend some. I definitely have not smoked this before as I suspected initially. The strength is med-full. Body and flavor med. The last third has the best flavor and leads me to believe it is definitely a Nicaraguan cigar. My wild guess is some kind of Tat but this is unlike any flavor profile for that brand. But I don't know any other boutique Nicaraguan brands! :) What the hell is all this tobacco doing falling out of the answer envelope? The Face - what a weird name. It did remind me of old blends back before they got some character. ;) Well, it was different!tmp_7585-IMG_20160220_150943433_HDR1593627018.jpg

Haha yeah it was one of tats Halloween release from back in 2010 I believe. The tobacco falling out of the envelop was what he used as a band for that cigar. It was a pain to carefully take it off without screwing up the wrapper.

I am a little surprised it was so one dimensional for you. For me they always took a while to develop but they did eventually develop. Based on your profile I figured you'd like this one more than it appears you did.

Nice guess on it being a tat!

Last edited:
A cigar is like pizza is like sex - even when it's not great it's still good. :) I enjoyed it but it was not my cuppa. Age does not always treat Nicaraguan blends well(or people, for that matter)! Of course, it's all subjective. Another person would no doubt have another experience. Even I might at another time and place! ;)
But, once again, thank you Josh for the great selection and I'm sure I will enjoy them as Spring brings proper cigar weather back to the Northeast.

Thank you Steve for the great smoke, here's my review.

blind_review.jpg

1st - Good construction and a very spicy pre-light draw, cinnamon/clove with white pepper. Once lit it was very easy to draw, and delivered a balance of flavors well into the first third. I was trying hard to place it, too soon to be honest but I was thinking it has to be a Tat, or a Oliva as I kept on pulling.

2nd - It was changing, charred almost peaty notes were coming in and it was really starting to deliver a nic punch. I still couldn't place it and needed to let it sit longer in between pulls so I could get cooler smoke. Construction was holing up nicely, and the burn was very good. Still no idea as to what this is or any point of reference from what I'd smoked before.

3rd - Home stretch I was getting loads of sweet pepper, and toasted oak very much like pipe tobacco at this point. This cigar had been a smooth operator with no crazy swings just gentle shifts and I really enjoyed it. I can't say I've ever smoked one of these before but I hope it's not the last!

My guess - Tatuaje?

blind_review_band.jpg

Steve! You tricky bastid, you got me on this one. I've had a few Illusione before but never a stick with quite this much age. Thank you my friend, it was a blast.

Jimmy

I'm glad you liked it, Jimmy. It is an odd illusione and does smoke somewhat like a Tat with the pepper and strong punch of nicotine. I sent one to Bri along with some milder smokes hoping she would give it a go. Josh will probably end up smoking it. ;)

I'm glad you liked it, Jimmy. It is an odd illusione and does smoke somewhat like a Tat with the pepper and strong punch of nicotine. I sent one to Bri along with some milder smokes hoping she would give it a go. Josh will probably end up smoking it. ;)
Hey now...what are you trying to say here?? I take his stuff all the time, but he's dead if he thinks about taking mine :p :eek: I'll give it a try soon, look forward to it especially after reading this review. I haven't had much of anything lately from recovery and being really busy lately!