• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying a House...at an Impasse

Jamie76

So, after saving up for a 20% down payment on a new construction, my wife and I narrowed it down to 2 models. Of course, each has pros and cons, but the prices are nearly identical. We've looked at each multiple times and just can't seem to decide. This is frustrating. I am almost to the point of calling it quits and just continue renting. The agent we picked is absolutely worthless and doesn't respond to questions. Not sure I'm looking for anything here...just wanted to vent.

Get another agent. If you can't decide, the possibly neither is right. Does the builder charge to tweak the plans?

Get a new agent, and for the love of all things do NOT get a home where there's an HOA. Trust me, I know......

That is what I was thinking. Each model has different design options (i.e., gourmet kitchen vs standard kitchen, study instead of 5th bedroom, etc). I want a study, mainly so I can have my own room. Both have this option. Wife likes the gourmet kitchen offered in one model, but also really likes the bigger kitchen available in the other.

One has higher HOA fees and higher utilities but offers more things for the daughter to do (water park), while the other is quieter which I like. One is further from work, but offers more house for the money (not sure that we need too much house though). I also like that they use the spray in, expandable foam insulation throughout, vs. fiberglass batting in the walls and blown in cellulose above.

Go outside an HOA and spend the money saved on the house?

When I bought my home, it really came down to design quality and location. The builder I ended up choosing offered better flow and more efficient floorplans---I ended up with the smallest model (perfect for just me) because I liked having the kitchen at the back and the placement of the bedrooms. There are a lot of outside factors to take into account as well:

1. Since you have kids, REALLY look at the local schools---test scores, programs available, reputation.
2. What's the closest grocery store like? How far to the bank, post office, car wash, liquor store?
3. What are adjacent neighborhoods like? A nice subdivision next to blocks of apartment complexes is going to impact traffic, noise, crime, drive throughs, etc.
4. If the HOA allows renting out, what's the percentage of renters vs. owner occupants?
5. Visit each at different times of the day. Get a feel for the subdivision.
6. How close to complete are the developments? I had mostly vacant lots around me when I bought, and some of the neighbors that came later . . . well, it could have been better.
7. How far is it to a B&M with a smoking lounge? ;)
8. Are there any restrictions in the HOA codes that will be a problem for your lifestyle?
9. Backyards---which has more usable area? Sneeze lots are kind of typical nowadays, but how far is it from your back door to your back fence? Makes a HUGE difference.

~Boar

Go outside an HOA and spend the money saved on the house?
I would have to move to the Tucson area to get out of a HOA. That will add 30-50 minutes commute time. The fees aren't that bad...$103/month and $29/month. Though I understand fees are not the only thing to consider with a HOA.

Research your builder, choose the one who offers higher quality materials standard or upgrades. Plan to add several thousand in upgrades even if you go to your builders home gallery/design studio thinking your walking away with 0 upgrades. You will regret not budgeting for this and not upgrading a few things you feel are necessary or better quality. Do not go with the builders finance company or insurance. Even if they offer an incentive, it's likely not worth it in the long term. Select a lot with a yard size you will be able to afford to landscape. Plan to spend several thousand more in landscaping. As little as 4-5k to as much as 25-35k or more depending on the company, materials, size of project area. Plan on a budget area and stick somewhat to that area, even if slightly over, as long as you can live with that.

Good luck,

C

I would have to move to the Tucson area to get out of a HOA. That will add 30-50 minutes commute time. The fees aren't that bad...$103/month and $29/month. Though I understand fees are not the only thing to consider with a HOA.

HOA's ALWAYS give some person(s) that would never easily have access to power over others, or in politics that feeling of power and superiority their miserable lives seek.

You just have to hope for the best, but there's always one or a few in every neighborhood. I've lived in some that weren't too bad, and one that was pure hell for for the year I was there, and we couldn't move fast enough.....
Glad to be free of it now and have property surrounding me to only see the neighbors when I want. ;)

If you have the time to invest think about building yourself and being the General Contractor. You'll save about 20% per sqft and can pick the design that closest fits your needs and budget. While i didn't do it with this place, I did previously.

Keep renting. Really until you find the one that both you and your wife say - This is it - keep looking. Last thing you want is for one of you to not be excited about the decision.

Keep renting. Really until you find the one that both you and your wife say - This is it - keep looking. Last thing you want is for one of you to not be excited about the decision.

You'll never live it down and you'll always hear, "I told you I wanted the other house, geez I hate this kitchen, that other kitchen in the other house was much better".......blah blah.

You'll never live it down and you'll always hear, "I told you I wanted the other house, geez I hate this kitchen, that other kitchen in the other house was much better".......blah blah.
Sounds like the voice of experience!

All good recommendations! Don't compromise to only live with regrets. You patiently saved up your deposit, so continue to be patient until the best opportunity presents itself. You will know when you see it, and in the meantime your potential choices have time to gel.

Last edited: