• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The family lost our best friend

I may be off on this, but for US (my wife and I) we changed things up with Ruby. New bowls, collars, leashes, pads, toys, routines, everything. We tried to make it as 'new' as we could, without being TOO new, if that makes any sense? Believe you me, we are 150% into our dogs- not having kids has made them take over that role more than most. Things like Ruby is now allowed on the couches downstairs by the TV with me, whereas that has NEVER been allowed with any dog. Little things like that.

As far as the ashes go... it helps. Hell, I even made a little 'shrine' with them along with a digital photo frame that has nothing but their pics showing. I spread a little of their ashes here and there, places they loved like my raspberry bushes and sisters yard in Homer, to help keep them close. It's not uncommon for me to put a chair in either place and sit with a cigar and reminisce.

it's tough... I'm a big softie when it comes to my animals (no surprise to anyone that knows me) whereas with people I'm a hardass. Just don't do anything too soon. You'll know when it's right. I waited over 4 years to spread my girl Amber's ashes, and I'm glad I waited. It felt so much more special when I did it. And even though it's been 5 years today, it still hurts. But the hurt has faded slightly into fond memories. I made a memorial video for Amber that I can now watch, but Porter's I cannot... it's too soon, not having been a year yet.

Thank you. You don't know how much reading all this really helps.

Nick, I'm so sorry friend. Cry a lot and hug your girls for me. Damn.

So sorry to read this man. I hope the healing goes well for everyone. Dogs are special and are a huge part of any family that treats them how they should be treated. It's obvious you did him well and he returned the favor.

Sorry to hear. When my dog Anka was sick and passed I cried for 2 weeks straight. With time the hurt heals and you can remember the good times without feeling the sorrow.

Pretty soon I'll be looking to take in a rescue. Just gotta payoff some bills first.

We have a wonderful Mimosa tree we planted, where the ashes of our departed fur family members are buried. It's actually quite a comfort to see the tree, blooming like crazy, and reflect on the love we shared with them over the years.

You also may find comfort in planting a tree for your dog, and putting her ashes there. I know we sure do......

Sorry to hear this! To me it IS the hardest decision in life; to have to say good night to a family member who did nothing but give, give, and give. It always amazes me how they know and they can look at you as to tell you it is ok, its the right time, and I'll see you soon.

Damn, I'm sorry for your loss. It was heartbreaking reading this and hope that you and the family heal soon.

Condolences to your family. Its hard saying goodbye.

Again, thanks, all.

I picked his ashes up earlier this week and we made a nice little spot for him on the shelf above his pillow where he always laid (half blocking my fridgidor...). The vet made imprints of his paws in little ceramic hearts, and I almost lost it again right there in the office when she showed me as it was very unexpected. They really went above and beyond -- I expected a small bag or just a cookie tin full of crust and dust, but they gave us a whole nice little "condolence package", if you will. He has an urn on the way so we can properly put him on the shelf... ;)

Getting his ashes back really helped. It was a week ago today, and though we still miss him like crazy and I still expect to see him walking into our room, or snoozling the blinds apart to watch me when I'm outside smoking, we really mainly think now about the good he brought to us for so many years. I like the idea of planting some of his ashes (the package actually contained some seeds to plant if putting some of his ashes in a garden or something was a plan), but we are military and will be moving in a few years, so there's no roots here. It's a nice thought, though, and I'm glad it helped you out to do so at your house. Maybe some day when we settle down.

I thank everyone again for their words and their kindness. I know I'm not the only one who's ever lost a pet that meant a lot to them, and I won't dare equate it to losing a child, but he was part of the family and it was still a hard loss. It's getting better, though. I'm thankful to him that he was just part of our lives for so long.

Very sorry for your loss. I've been though similar situations and none of them has been easy. Very nice gesture on the vet's part, thanks for sharing that.