• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don't Buy Cigars from Johnny-O!

Ah, how I've mellowed out over time. Normally, I would have ripped this guy a new asshole, but alas, times have changed and it's already been handled! Dammit, that's the problem, I was late joining the party!

I'm right there with you!! LOL

I don't know how many Johnny-O's gh has smoked, but I have never had a Johnny-O issue with any of the many I've smoked - other than I never have enough of them in the humidor.

Thanks for starting this thread! What was Johnny-O's number again?

Last edited:
I remember a awhile back when members wanted to know the origin of his tobacco. Has that ever been resolved? Can't recall the member, although I had a conversation with them a while back, or the posts. I tried to search it but never found it.

As for issues with service, I have none. I do have some J-O culeberas (sp?) resting.

For me - the best part of Johnny-O cigars is trying to figure that out for myself. I love to smoke them and contemplate where that taste originates. And - quite frankly - after I finish the cigar I plan the next time I'm going to contemplate where they might have come from... :)

The only issue I've had with Johnny-O's was the fact that I don't have enough time to smoke some of the huge monsters from my samplers. Oh and running out of Johnny-O's.

I've bought a number of bundles from J-O over the years and never had a problem, except for letting them sit after their "green" period. Always enjoyed good service from Johnny.

Just got my order of Johnny's famous lanceros.

As a first time buyer, hopefully my experience can put some of the garbage from the original poster to rest. Johnny responded within a completely reasonable amount of time to our every interaction, from selecting which cigars I wanted to pricing to payment and to delivery. Every message back and forth happened within a few hours to a few days at most.

The cigars arrived in pristine condition and exactly as ordered. I knew from what I had read that you want to try Johnny's WF cigars fresh or let them sleep for 1-2 years, so I took the opportunity to try one right away. I had assumed the harsh MN weather would have sucked the humidity out of the cigars, as no matter how hard I try to get home to retrieve my mail, it always ends up sitting outside for at least a few hours. In the winter, that few hours usually dries them out pretty well.

My first lancero was incredible, except for the draw which was very very tight. I was confused by this, but figured it had something to do with not letting them sit. I thanked Johnny for the cigars and he mentioned perhaps dry boxing them for longer before smoking. So a day or two later I dry boxed one for a good 13 hours and then went for it, and it was like a completely different cigar.

Apparently fresh cigars maintain a hell of a lot of humidity and need some excessive time in the dry box before they return to something more normal or expected.

Overall, the second cigar was larger than life, a nutty/woody flavor bomb with tobacco from one certain source alone based on my taste buds, and truth be told the first was as well, just a little more frustrating with the draw issues.

As I mentioned before, I find it ironic that had this troll not dropped by to dis Johnny, I may not have decided so conclusively to buy from him. And I'm very thankful I did. Looking forward to being a good customer to Johnny for years to come.

Hope this helps!

"........ Fleshy black fruits meet with woodsy cigar box, tobacco leaf, graphite and crushed stone in a structurally alluring and complexly flavorful profile. Rustic yet clearly considerately composed, ....."

Just saw this on a wine site, they have got to be kidding, pretty good prose, but graphite, really, and crushed stone, who ingests that? Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you wanted to use it.:D

"........ Fleshy black fruits meet with woodsy cigar box, tobacco leaf, graphite and crushed stone in a structurally alluring and complexly flavorful profile. Rustic yet clearly considerately composed, ....."

Just saw this on a wine site, they have got to be kidding, pretty good prose, but graphite, really, and crushed stone, who ingests that? Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you wanted to use it.:D
I believe graphite might be "fresh pencil shavings" and crushed stone might be "construction site with sidewalk grinder in use".

I believe graphite might be "fresh pencil shavings" and crushed stone might be "construction site with sidewalk grinder in use".

Pencil shavings....yes, I tasted that in a Scotch once....it was almost as bad as drinking out of a soda can with an extinguished cigarette in it.

Pencil shavings....yes, I tasted that in a Scotch once....it was almost as bad as drinking out of a soda can with an extinguished cigarette in it.

My dad calls that "tastes like the ashes of dead Scotsmen."

Awesome. I guess the 4 or 5 samplers (at random) I've purchased over the last 7 years or so must have been flukes. Smoke em fresh then let them sit. That's the recipe for me! Great product, great service, and OP, wtf?

Seriously people stop posting in this thread my will power to not spend my allowance is dwindling quickly....

Seriously people stop posting in this thread my will power to not spend my allowance is dwindling quickly....

You won't regret having to brown bag lunch for a bit to get some of these.

It's a conspiracy! Trash Johnny and he gets 100's of good reviews and loyal customers standing up for him. All to make me buy some. I think I want to buy some Johnny O cigars now. CONSPIRACY! LOL :p

Old thread but, I buy johnny o cigars a couple times a year always great. Had one small issue John took care of it lickety split!! Just placed another order today b52's and flying pigies!!

Smoked another JO Short on Thursday....loved it!

Dry boxing when fresh is an absolute requirement though, IMO

I'm down to 5 of my shorts. Everyone I shared this bundle with has absolutely loved it. Need to get some of his CGs and Lanceros!

I'm down to 5 of my shorts. Everyone I shared this bundle with has absolutely loved it. Need to get some of his CGs and Lanceros!
I can vouch for the lanceros. Ordered 15 and only 6 made it past a month. Hoping the rest make it more than a year.