• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Next Question: Favorite Lighter

523g2.jpg

I bought this Xikar G2 Forte in gun metal finish a few months back at a local Xikar event.
I loved it at first, then when it ran out of fuel I refilled it with some Bernzomatic fuel from Home Depot. Suddenly, the flame sucked and I couldn't even toast the foot. I was feeling down in the dumps and didn't want to do a warranty claim without trying the Xikar fuel.

Went back to shop I bought the lighter from, got a small can of Xikar fuel, refilled my lighter last night, and suddenly I had a hand held fire breathing dragon again.

Long story short, use good fuel as not all butane fuels are created equal, and I'm happy I didn't ruin it.

Xikar G2 Forte in gun metal finish
How is that Gunmetal finish holding up? Any of my Xikars with that finish have had it wear off. Looks hideous. Now I just go for plain finish.

Long story short, use good fuel as not all butane fuels are created equal, and I'm happy I didn't ruin it.
Yeah, "Butane Cigar Lighter 101"...ALWAYS use that multi refined butane! We all learn that lesson eventually.

How is that Gunmetal finish holding up? Any of my Xikars with that finish have had it wear off. Looks hideous. Now I just go for plain finish.
Same here Danny, almost every dark finish on a lighter wears off or peels eventually. My Xikars & Colibris all had it happen. Even that rubbery finish comes off over time.

I recently won a Colibri Julius double soft flame lighter on CBid. Always liked a soft flame and I was interested in trying this one. Vertigos are great and inexpensive. The Vortex is simply great, huge tank and easy tool-less adjustment. To me, a lighter must have a tool-less adjustment for it to be considered decent.

So far so good. It lives in the free body condom they send out, though. Also, I don't carry it with me, so no pocket rides, either.

Same here Danny, almost every dark finish on a lighter wears off or peels eventually. My Xikars & Colibris all had it happen. Even that rubbery finish comes off over time.

I had a plastic wind proof lighter, many years ago, that had the soft coating come off...it was truly nasty until it all sloughed off.

I started kind of collecting inexpensive (not cheap) cool looking lighters, like toys. Most have minor issues, like not lighting every time, but I have a couple that are great. My favorite for cigars is the
Xikar NEW ALLUME Stealth. I got both a single and double tourch model. They light first time every time and have never let me down. The single is a good pocket size and the double lasts a long time and better for the larger RG sticks.

Gentlemen, I have a serious yet somewhat embarrassing question...asking for help. What is the best / proper method to empty and refill a lighter? I won't say what I have been doing, but out of the four lighters I own, none of them hold fluid long (maybe one or two lights / touch ups) or they are not getting the fluid in them at all.

Please, what is your step by step routine to empty and refill your butane lighter?

The first thing I do is turn the lighter down to the lowest flame setting.

Then I purge what is currently in there by pressing down on the valve. You want to bleed it dry of any remaining butane or air.

Then I shake the butane.

Then I hold the lighter and butane upside down, match up the butane stem to the valve, and press down for about 5 seconds or so.

Wait 3 or 4 minutes, and it should be good to hook.

Gentlemen, I have a serious yet somewhat embarrassing question...asking for help. What is the best / proper method to empty and refill a lighter? I won't say what I have been doing, but out of the four lighters I own, none of them hold fluid long (maybe one or two lights / touch ups) or they are not getting the fluid in them at all.

Please, what is your step by step routine to empty and refill your butane lighter?

1) Use a small metal screwdriver or similar piece to completely bleed /empty your lighter. To empty it have the lighter facing up so that the value intake is facing down.

2) Use high grade multi-time filtered butane to fill. To fill, the lighter should be held face down and the can upside down. DO NOT SHAKE the can before filling.

3) Press and hold everything together until you see if fill up.

4) I then use the screw driver and bleed any remaining gas and top the lighter off.

5) Give it a minute or so before lighting the lighter.

The first thing I do is turn the lighter down to the lowest flame setting.

Then I shake the butane.

Shaking the butane is a bad idea. There is a combo of butane and inert gas in the can. These naturally separate, but by shaking before filling you are mixing the gases which will cause lighter issues down the road. For this same reason you fill a lighter with the can held upside down. That way you fill only fluid and not the gas.

Last edited:
Shaking the butane is a bad idea. There is a combo of butane and inert gas in the can. These natural separate, but by shaking before filling you are mixing the gases which will cause lighter issues down the road. For this same reason you fill a lighter with the can held upside down. That way you fill only fluid and not the gas.

Hadn't heard this before, but I by no means think I know everything about it, so I did some amateur research on it. It seems the community is 50/50 split on shake or no shake. No big deal, I can easily not shake. I'm just curious why there are reputable sources that instruct to shake and those that also forbid it. You think there'd be a clear and concise decision on this.

All I do know is, shake it more than twice and you're playing with it.