• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NY Based cigar company owners?

ThinBlueLine

I'm looking to start a cigar company. Yeah, I know. I have an LLC, I registered my DBA. What licensing do I need? I'm not going brick and mortar, strictly online/trade shows/private events. Researching online is not turning out the results I was hoping for. Tobacco resale license? NYS? NYC? ATF? Thanks

You may want to hold off on that until we see what the FDA does. Or are you talking opening a shop. If a shop, look at some of the retailer groups like United Cigars Retailers. They may have support materials. IPCPR might as well.

Your going to need a NYS sales tax number and a tobacco license. If you plan to roll you will need a Federal TTB license, and a NYS manufacturers license as well.

Hope this helps.

Who do I get a NYS Sales tax # from? Do you know? And is NYS manufactures license issued by Dept of State? Thanks

I've managed to get a list of licenses and tax collector's forms necessary. Now the hard part, finding a roller. There are so many. Any suggestions on a starting point? Thanks

Tom, you may want to look into a business club, usually through a college, (LINK) made up of current & former business owners who will mentor you through the process. Usually places like this are a wealth of knowledge when starting a new business. You may even find an investor along the way. ;)

Good luck....

Just one suggestion - listen to some of the back episodes of Cigar Authority that features some of the big name industry guys. They often cover what it takes to start a cigar brand. If that is what you plan on doing, it's not a cheap endeavor. Sourcing the tobacco alone can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that is after you settle on your blend. Then you are facing with sitting on that inventory for potentially years before you can bring it to market. You truly need deep pockets. Anyway, it's just a suggestion for picking up some of the basic info you may need to make smart business decisions.

Hoping to get some interest from Drew Estates, as they are a couple of fellow NYers. Rocky Patel, Oliva or Fuente would be nice too. I've emailed, no responses, not surprising. Hope to expand my connections to manufacturers at CigarFest at end of the month.

Met a few manufacturers, researching their history as they aren't any of the big ones. But have provided some fine samples.