• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Whole fried fluke at an amazing little Mexican seafood place here in KC....CIA trained chef from Veracruz who gets stuff shipped in that was swimming yesterday.

tmp_1327-20160430_184322-426704052.jpg

Top loin NY boneless strip steak (cubed, then sautéed & finished by baking) and tilapia fillet as a backup. Seasoned with salt and pepper and all baked.20160501_015619.jpg 20160501_021620.jpg 20160501_021834.jpg

Yesterday morning I cooked breakfast for my parents. I made one of my favorite things, dutch baby. Added some pepper bacon on the side.
28hz8g1.jpg

And with the leftover bacon, made a bacon omelette this morning.
2mcexxe.jpg

A sleeve of girl scout cookies... Do si do to be exact...

Whole fried fluke at an amazing little Mexican seafood place here in KC....CIA trained chef from Veracruz who gets stuff shipped in that was swimming yesterday.

View attachment 12616

That's a new spot, less than a year old isn't it? Do you know the difference between fluke and flounder? It's a political thing, left side or right side up! :D

That's a new spot, less than a year old isn't it? Do you know the difference between fluke and flounder? It's a political thing, left side or right side up! :D

Yeah, Jarocho Pescados y Mariscos over in KCK, my old 'hood. Carlos Falcon does some amazing stuff, things I didn't even know existed like softshell crawfish. With the neighborhood it's in, down the street from some great taquerias, people get the wrong impression and think the quality will be low to crank out cheap seafood...it's anything but cheap, but the value is huge. He sent out some raw Hokkaido scallops that came in live with just had a little bit of oil, chile and salt that blew us away. A selection of bottled Mexican Fanta sodas....I'm in heaven!

Last night made a couple of smoked pork chops from a butcher about 45 minutes away, they are fully cured, but not too smoky, absolutely delicious.

upload_2016-5-2_11-23-1.png

It isn't a Dutch Baby it is a Bismarck and it isn't Dutch it is German. The story told to me by my Great-Grandmother (and she was in her 30's around then) was that Bismarck's were fairly popular not only with the German community but in restaurants for breakfast and as desert when topped with fruit. When WWI started there was a backlash against the all things German so sauerkraut became victory cabbage (remind you of "freedom fries?") and Bismarcks became Dutch Babies among other things. Well, victory cabbage didn't catch on and Bismarck was no longer looked on as a great man in the states so Dutch Babies remained.

God, I feel like Paul Harvey, and now you know the rest of the story.

We throw butter, powdered sugar, strawberries and blueberries on top of ours. So so so good.

Reactions: AVB
It isn't a Dutch Baby it is a Bismarck and it isn't Dutch it is German
Ah! I had to look it up, and not one reference I found mentioned that it was originally a Bismarck. Thought I never had it until I read this.
We called them Bismarcks when I was a kid. Used to get them in the German Delis and Restaurants in NYC.

We ate at Fatz tonight. Calabash Chicken for me, and it was pretty good. I had a generous free Birthday meal coupon.
My son got some sort of Calabash Chicken Sandwich loaded with Bacon, Mac & Cheese, etc. etc. A pretty massive sandwich.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup for both of us, Bacon & Cheese Fries for him, Baked tater for me (brought it home. We have at least 2 meals worth of leftovers)
Peach Cobbler for me, NY Cheesecake for him. Time for my post age 55 nap. :)

Last edited:
It isn't a Dutch Baby it is a Bismarck and it isn't Dutch it is German. The story told to me by my Great-Grandmother (and she was in her 30's around then) was that Bismarck's were fairly popular not only with the German community but in restaurants for breakfast and as desert when topped with fruit. When WWI started there was a backlash against the all things German so sauerkraut became victory cabbage (remind you of "freedom fries?") and Bismarcks became Dutch Babies among other things. Well, victory cabbage didn't catch on and Bismarck was no longer looked on as a great man in the states so Dutch Babies remained.

God, I feel like Paul Harvey, and now you know the rest of the story.
I know that it is a German pancake, but it is my understanding that the term Dutch baby came from a family owned restaurant in Wasnington around 1900 or so. The owner's daughter couldn't pronounce "Deutsch" and would say "Dutch", so the name went from there and just stuck with people I suppose.

I know that it is a German pancake, but it is my understanding that the term Dutch baby came from a family owned restaurant in Wasnington around 1900 or so. The owner's daughter couldn't pronounce "Deutsch" and would say "Dutch", so the name went from there and just stuck with people I suppose.

Like Pennsylvania Deutsch;)