• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

I know that it is a German pancake, but it is my understanding that the term Dutch baby came from a family owned restaurant in Wasnington around 1900 or so. The owner's daughter couldn't pronounce "Deutsch" and would say "Dutch", so the name went from there and just stuck with people I suppose.

I read the same thing, but one thing is for sure, after and during WWI many things German were changed. St. Louis had many German street names that were changed. There was of course a Kaiser Ave a Berlin Ave and many other ones which changed. They also changed the name of one small town near St Louis from Luxembourg to Lemay. Anheuser Busch even took off an eagle from what appeared to be German helmet and replaced German words with English. That war changed many references and that may indeed be "the rest of the story".

Budweiser.jpg

I read the same thing, but one thing is for sure, after and during WWI many things German were changed. St. Louis had many German street names that were changed. There was of course a Kaiser Ave a Berlin Ave and many other ones which changed. They also changed the name of one small town near St Louis from Luxembourg to Lemay. Anheuser Busch even took off an eagle from what appeared to be German helmet and replaced German words with English. That war changed many references and that may indeed be "the rest of the story".

Budweiser.jpg
Oh yea definitely, I remember learning about it in high school. Some of the name changes were hilarious that's for sure!

Trout fillet seasoned with salt and pepper and all baked, marinated steak (sautéed & finished by baking) smothered in sautéed white onions, with foccacia bread and Apple juice Sake bomb. 20160422_203439.jpg 20160503_231309.jpg

Chicken Fingers, Twice Baked Potatoes, Cole Slaw, & Peach Cobbler.
Finally convinced my son to try a twice baked potato. He loved it. I'm sure the cheese and bacon helped.

Another trip to my favorite seafood restaurant in KC.....grilled blowfish tails (no neurotoxins in the tail) and a sea urchin dish where he puts the fresh uni on a toast point, places a thin slice of lardo on top and then torches it at the table just long enough to soften the fat.

tmp_18413-20160512_204713-766684299.jpg

The potatoes look canned. Tell me they're not canned spuds.

Doc

The potatoes look canned. Tell me they're not canned spuds.

Doc

No way! :eek:

Thin sliced baby whites, baked 'em with the chicken breast in a little olive oil, pepper, and salt. Tucked 'em in close so they'd soak up some of the juices as they roasted.

"Canned spuds." Pffffft. My mama taught me better'n that! o_O

~Boar

She was an amazing cook, she was. Taught us all our way around a few pots and pans. One of my biggest regrets is I didn't make the time to have her teach me how to make pie while she was still with us. I'm going to be missing those pies of hers from here to the off ramp. :(

~Boar

Chinese Takeout. Spent a too big portion of the day dealing with a crapped out car. Right smack dab in the middle of a major intersection.
Funny at how people lay on their horns even with your hazard light on, and your hood up. Second Alternator this week. They don't make stuff like they used to.

From a surf taco truck yesterday, chicken mole enchiladas. Pretty much anytime I see mole on a menu, I know what I'll be ordering.
53obgh.jpg

Today after work: chicken asada salad from a fusion themed truck.
eiwarp.jpg

Chinese Takeout. Spent a too big portion of the day dealing with a crapped out car. Right smack dab in the middle of a major intersection.
Funny at how people lay on their horns even with your hazard light on, and your hood up. Second Alternator this week. They don't make stuff like they used to.
That sucks, people can be real a-holes on the road.

Tried my hand at bangers and mash yesterday. Well, bangers and champ to be specific. Made the gravy with 50% beef broth and 50% bourbon barrel aged barleywine that I didn't finish the night previous, reduced a bit and then added a blonde roux to it. The whole dish turned out pretty damn well, if I may pat myself on the back.
2njh8nq.jpg