• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Ain't it fun when a day later you're proof reading a post you made while drinking. :)
I was hoping the whole review was going to be in third person telling us what Micheal did and then he changed it to first person. Was a better narrative the other way. :D

Now you're really not going to get a box of QdO Coronas.

I already ordered 3 boxes of them for you and let them know you wanted 2 of them sent here for safe keeping. She said "No problem, we have his CC on file."

I was hoping the whole review was going to be in third person telling us what Micheal did and then he changed it to first person. Was a better narrative the other way. :D

I already ordered 3 boxes of them for you and let them know you wanted 2 of them sent here for safe keeping. She said "No problem, we have his CC on file."

Good thing that card was lost and canceled last week.

"

Next time I'll go all Hemingway. "I lit the cigar. It was good. I don't know what it is. The end."

Call it ignorance on my part since I don't know what a Siglo tastes like. I had to guess, but I was guessing blindly. I would have never guessed that it was an ESSJ either though. But that is what makes this pass so much fun. Now I just need a volunteer to take it off my hands.
Your odds of guessing that were exactly zero! Reminds me of a brother at a herf in Philly. Bought a Tat Tainos next door, took the band off and passed it around. Many very experienced cigar smokers thought it was a well-aged Cuban! So you're in good company, bro.

every time I type Scap, it always autocorrects to crap. Gotta be a sign.

PIF #2 Review

First, thank you to MichaelD for the opportunity to do this PIF.

The bad news is I'm having an issue with image conversion, so no photos.

The cigar: if appearance counts, this was outstanding. Almost no veins or very well roller intervention because it looked very clean. Great brown color, great cap. Cut this with my Xicar and did a dry draw.

I swear I was hit by licorice, but that tasted good as I do like licorice. One or two more times and I got the same impression. On to the actual smoke.

I should mention the cigar was not totally firm, had some Give to it, but not what you would call soft, felt good in hand. Put the flame to it and was greeted with a nice portion of tasty smoke. I played with that for a few minutes trying to detect what was being presented to me. There was a pleasant spice which came across subtlety but with some hidden flavors riding underneath. I might say I found some leather along with the spicness.

As I smoked it, the burn was spot on, no adjusting needed while the smoke billowed. I tend to enjoy a full cigar and this struck me as medium to medium-full. It pretty much hit my sweet spot. I should also mention smooth, or as I like to say, sophisticated. It made me stop and think about what I was smoking, made me appreciate it. I knew this was not a run of the mill stick, or for me at least I felt it wasn't. The stick wanted and received due attention while it presented itself and opened up new paths for me to follow.

I followed the path to about the one inch mark as the heat and nicotine build up was making its presents known.

So my guess. I wish I was a real knowledgable smoke or had better taste buds but I am going with a Don Carlos. It is that quality of a cigar and DC makes some outstanding stuff.

Drum roll..... Well, poop, it was a Ashton VSG.

This is bad and good. I didn't guess it right, but I did find a new stick that will make it into my future rotatio.

Again, MichaelD, thanks for the great stick.

Pug

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ed. I figured it would be in your wheelhouse.

Edit: Also, great review!!

Nice review Pug! Wish the pics could have worked out. It's always great to discover a new cigar that you like.

Well done, Ed. Don Carlos is one of my favorites, as is VSG. Regarding the licorice impression you got. I've gotten that with a lot of Fuentes.

Great review, Pug! You were in the ballpark. I never got licorice from a VSG before so I would have been stumped too.

I've been very excited to smoke this because it's my very first blind review ever since I've started smoking maybe 8 or so years ago. While I considered smoking this on my off day, I'm the type that can't concentrate 100% on something new if I'm really trying to get the gist of it. Even when checking out a new album for example, I gotta be half distracted by chores or something. So here's my view and my setup for my morning smoke on this slow Monday.

20160829_105753_zps1pm0lz0y.jpg

Here's what's behind me. Must be obvious now that I work at a cigar shop but I figure where better to try this than at work while hanging out with some friends.

20160829_105819_zpszgqjkqcl.jpg

20160829_105606_zpsy7pq8xjp.jpg

Anyway, so here goes nothing!

Appearance wise the cigars looks medium dark but not like a maduro. Wrapper is not exactly seamless but it’s still a good looking smooth and shiny stick. Wrapper has a ton of aromas including cedar, barnyard and a touch of sweetness. Since I’m pretty badly colorblind, the aroma is my first “look” at the cigar and it’s already quite enticing. The size is roughly a 5x50 parejo that’s not hard to the touch exactky but well filled. The last bit of the foot however seems oddly underfilled. I also noticed the cigar is finished with a nice triple cap which should help with the guess.

20160829_105649_zpsrafrihwt.jpg
20160829_105657_zpsqr6flix0.jpg

Tools - Xikar straight cutter and single torch. Drink - water. Let’s get this show on the road!

20160829_105543_zps75m4r3zf.jpg

First third - tons of flavor! Fantastic, with so many cigars taking a half an inch to open up, I really appreciate when a cigar starts with a bang! Right away I get some earth mixed in with some leather in the background and a nice but robust amount of white pepper to round it off. The smoke is on the thicker side with a fantastic retrohale - just like I like. The finish is quick and clean on the palette while the nose has a lingering spice. The smoke is neither creamy nor chalky, but something in the middle for right now. Draw is nice and open just how I like it. I'd call this a smooth medium body for now, with as of yet unknown strength. My first guess would be Casa Fernandez family but something in the back of my head is screaming Honduran. Check back again soon.

20160829_113831_zpsfihcp7x8.jpg

2nd third - So I'm pretty damn confused at this point because now I'm going back to Nicaraguan because the spice has picked up and I'm getting a floral note similar to a Warped Flor del Valle or more likely, the Tatuaje La Riqueza cabinet. But since this cigar has more earth and leather than I remember those having, I'm sort of at a loss. This experiment is a mind trip, I'm tellin' ya! Much respect to those who can smoke and nail this sh*t. I'm blown away! The flavors are more or less consistent with the first third except with the addition of floral notes I mentioned. While the strength is about a mild to medium at this point, I'd say the body remains at a solid medium and overall the smoke has smoothed out nicely. Noticing the burn is razor sharp and the ash holds well even after falling, great construction!

20160829_113839_zpshdoqieuv.jpg

Final third - the flavor is still great, something I'd definitely smoke or already smoke? Who knows! The flavors have changed a bit here, I taste a little least earth/cedar and a little more spice and leather and no more of the floral notes. Now this third is reminding me of a totally different cigar, great, more confusion! Hah. One my favorite releases of 2016 so far is the Hirochi Robaina Claro Robusto, which to me is basically a more refined Illusione Rothchild, which I also love. The body at this point is more medium full and the strength has also started to pick up, a solid medium plus at this point.

20160829_120557_zpslwtkpcos.jpg

Final Answer: Total smoking time was about 1 hour and 5 min and my final guess is HR Claro. And now for the reveal....drum roll please...

20160829_125557_zps4hahvt5c.jpg

Yep, just as I guessed, I was not close at all! Be it as it may, this was a fantastic experience and I'm glad to have done it. Thanks to my friend Greg for a great smoke, I thoroughly enjoyed it. This sure is a great way to find a new smoke. Thanks for the find, I'll definitely be on the lookout for these! Now who wants some???

Great review! And holy-heck is that a large walk-in!

Great review! And holy-heck is that a large walk-in!
Thanks! Yea I'm lucky to live one of low tobacco tax states, which makes this size humidors feasible. Not to mention, Texas has a large population of cigar smokers as well! :D

Glad you enjoyed the experience Rob! Great guesses and I really enjoyed reading your review. These might be a bit hard to find as this was from Moreno's original sampler release prior to the full release and also prior to his passing. I know Atlantic took over the brand but not sure where that or how that panned out. Regardless, great review!

Today is the day for me. I went outside with the stick that Ed chose for me to review and let me tell you it was a good one.

This won't be a super detailed review because I wanted to just enjoy the stick as I was keeping some notes. So here goes, complete with some "Ed inspired" photography:

Initial impression:
Stick is a torpedo, Dark oily wrapper, very well constructed, almost seamless.
Firm to the touch and well filled. Aromas from the foot are Sweet, tobacco (duh), with juuuust a hint of spice. I clip the tip and draw and then clip a little more. Draw actually produces nothing at all by way of flavors. Interesting. No guesses at this point.

0CE09ABA-BE66-4E5D-BBBB-6E21F9ADD165.jpg

I fire it up and begin my observations on the first 3rd of this stick. First few draws are really nice. Mild-med. Great tobacco flavors with some sweetness and hints of something that remind me of a good morning cup o' joe.
The cigar draws perfectly and within the first 1/2 inch of the burn is already picking up to med-full. Coffee, milk chocolate, and good full tobacco (duh) flavors here. Burn is a little wavy and uneven at times but nothing a few touch ups cant handle.

And now for an "Ed inspired" photo:
24DCE4AB-3A22-439C-BD53-CE3D0F4F5758.jpg

Heading into the second 3rd I'm getting great coffee flavors. Really stumped here. Absolutely zero guesses. The ash is holding well and is a nice light grey. Really enjoyable stick. Definitely holding my interest and a great way to relax today.
A few more touch ups needed but again, not taking away from the enjoyment.

D827B3A1-7A0D-47B1-A1F2-6FEC83E8AA1C.jpg

35561CD7-8EE9-42BE-BF69-353EFA206A4A.jpg

Moving into the final 3rd I'm getting some really strong tobacco (duh) flavors now. Great stick. Definitely finishing out on the full end. Really great blind stick choice here, Ed. I'm stumped and can only take a stab at guessing maybe its a Xicar HC or something of that sort. Finishes strong with coffee, tobacco (duh) and a slightly sweet note lingering.

See below for the reveal...

141850C7-BA97-4834-95DC-122B97EFD16D.jpg

Drum roll:

EE205308-31CA-40EB-994D-B184D031A583.jpg

A cigar called Sobremesa....apparently from the JdN factory and is by Steve Saka former CEO of DE Cigars, now of Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust.

Great pick, Ed! Very good cigar and definitely a stumper. Thanks for the opportunity!

Nicely done, and a fellow admirer of Ed cigar photography, I also highly enjoyed the visuals. I really liked the one Sobramesa I tried. I still have one more in the humidor and may get a box to put aside.

It's a beautiful fall afternoon. I took the day off after waking up with a migraine. Luckily the headache passed giving me a free afternoon to put around the house before tackling this review.
IMG_3737.JPG
The cigar is a very dark maduro with notable veins. The seams are flawless as is the triple cap. The body is firm and oily. The ruler tells me it's 5 3/4" in length and I'd guess around a 46 RG.

IMG_3738.JPG

Sniffing the cigar foot doesn't tell me much. I'm getting a bit of cedar and a very pleasant light tobacco scent.

IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG

The cigar toast and lights with ease. I get some light red pepper on the tongue and lips with a stronger cedar and milk chocolate finish. The body of the cigar is medium and the strength is about the same. It produces a lot of light grey smoke.

IMG_3743.JPG

The flavors seem familiar to me. I'm thinking right out of the gate that this is a Crowned Heads Imperiosa. I have a couple of boxes of this cigar in the robusto and a box of the churchill. They were part of my stocking up for the cigar apocalypse.

The draw is perfect and the ash holds on for about an inch and a half. The first ash falls off accidentally onto my lap as I surf on my laptop and day dream. The ash is a dirty light grey with some nice banding. The burn line is near perfect. Crap the ash fall on my laps again...

IMG_3753.JPG

The aren't many crazy transitions with this cigar, but it doesn't bore me either. I simple love the interplay between the light cedar and milk chocolate. Every so often the red pepper pops back up.

IMG_3754.JPG
So finishing the cigar I'm sticking with my guess.

IMG_3744.JPG
And the ding, ding chicken dinner, we have ourselves a winner.

IMG_3745.JPG

This truly is a fantastic cigar. Many thanks for the opportunity to do this review.

Last edited: