• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Yesterday, like a good Italian, I went shopping for supper with nothing in mind other than to buy the freshest. Anyway, to make a long story short, I found veal, beef and pork suitable for a Neapolitan ragu. I served it on a parmesan cheese risotto. Of course it was good. It ain't my first day on the beach.

Doc

Only thing sorta interesting is my son asked me to make him a "grilled cheese pizza".
Dough, a cheese sauce, then a variety of shredded cheddars on top (had to get into my pimento cheese stash). He loved it. I liked it a lot, but damn, that's a lot of cheese.

25-one-tub-large-chocolate_1.png

:oops: :( :eek: :rolleyes: :( :confused: :oops: o_O

First two meals of every day. It's actually not bad. Not really losing any weight yet, though.

~Boar

I do smoothies with unsweetened almond milk, ice, and a banana as meal replacements. You'd think between that and being back in the gym the pounds would just melt off, but . . . well, that's life pushing 60 and on Synthroid, I guess. Whatta ya gonna do? :rolleyes:

I do have to say, my digestion is improved and I can definitely tell it's good for me.

~Boar

So first time smoking anything on my grill. Smoked it uncovered until about 1:00 then put foil over it to finish. Finally took it off at about 8:30. The smaller of the pieces was nice and tender and made a big bowl of tasty kalua pig. The bigger piece wasn't as tender but flavor wise is great. We will just slice it up and eat it as is. Too tired for pictures tonight.

The bigger piece wasn't as tender but flavor wise is great. We will just slice it up and eat it as is
Any meat that is not tender enough get's turned into salad, in my house. I can't deal with it otherwise. Mayo and a food processor fixes everything! :D

Gyros sandwich! And onion rings!

May not seem like a lot to be excited about, but that is a really difficult thing to find in this town. But it turns out my new office location come August is right across the side street from a Middle Eastern deli, and when we finished our CTG work conference there at noon so the Austin staff could get home before I-37 turns into a giant parking lot . . . that's where I headed! :D

I am going to weigh 400# by Yule if I'm not careful. :oops:

~Boar

Let's just say I ate pretty damn well on my trip to Croatia and Austria. Here are some highlights.

First night I was flying solo in Split, Croatia. I would hook up with a group of friends the following day. They were currently sailing but had given me some recommendations of spots to go while I was there. This was at Wine and Cheese Bar Paradox. A selection of cheeses from the Island of Pag in Croatia, along with smoked goose breast, dates, bread, and of course wine.
1zfo7ld.jpg

The following night I went out with a couple friends to Bokeria, a nice, rather upscale restaurant in Split. They have this appetizer of cheese (I forgot the name of it) topped with tomatoes. It was absolutely incredible. Imagine a half-formed mozzarella. Super creamy. I could have eaten that all day. We had entrees and wine of course, but this cheese was the show-stopper.
epof0o.jpg

The rest of the food we had in Croatia was good-to-quite-good but nothing quite on par with these two meals.

Okay, now for the Austrian/German/Styrian food. I'm quick to call it German food, however since we were in Austria and not Germany, that wouldn't exactly be correct. But really, I imagine it being the same (not to offend any Austrians on the board).

Upon arriving in Graz, Austria, our first meal just had to be from a wurstelstand, which are kiosks that specialize in serving grilled sausages. Pictured is currywurst and a regular bratwurst. The currywurst was excellent and the bratwurst was perhaps the best brat I've ever had. Later we would go for the kasekrainer, which is a sausage with cheese inside. Amazing. The cheese had a custard-like flavor to it which sounds kind of weird but was delicious.
30cq461.jpg

Later that day we went to Glockl Brau which serves traditional Styrian cuisine. I had the "Farmer's Feast" which I suppose the French would call chacroute. Each cut of meat was tender and cooked perfectly and the saurkraut was the finest I've ever had.
2ytrwgo.jpg

Traditional fruhstuck at Cafe Central in Vienna, Austria.
o89d12.jpg

This is brown bread covered in schmalz with little bits of bacon mixed in. We got this and a bunch of different cheeses from the Naschmarkt in Vienna (which is basically a large farmer's market).
nwx5jq.jpg

At a restaurant in Vienna that specialized in traditional food. While my friends got weinerschnitzel (which was excellent, I tried a piece), I got this. I forgot the name (it was long and started with blut- if I remember correctly). This is black pudding cooked with onions and potatoes. What looks like cheese sprinkled on top is actually grated horseradish. I ordered some dumplings on the side.
2uh6zjr.jpg

Cafes, coffee, and desserts are a huge part of the culture in Vienna. Here I had to try the Sacher Torte (was okay. Nothing grand). The coffee was always good and always too small in quantity for us Americans. I wouldn't say the coffee there was leaps and bounds better than good coffee here in the states, just that it was always good whereas here it's always a roll of the dice whether you get good coffee or swill.
6sf30x.jpg

Next to last night and our group was breaking down. I went with a friend to an Argentinian spot around the corner from our hotel. While that sounds like a weird thing to go for in Vienna, like all major cities it has it's share of immigrants. Truth be told we had stopped at a Chinese spot for fast Chinese food, we also ate at an Indian restaurant, and I had to keep my streak going of finding and eating Mexican food in countries that have no business serving Mexican food. At any rate, my friend and I stopped in to this Argentinian place not expecting something amazing but at least something decent. We got much more than that. Here was an appetizer of morcilla (blood sausage) sandwich. True, it may not look all that appetizing, but it was perhaps the best morcilla I've had. Not greasy and with a clean finish.
20kx6bk.jpg

This was the entree I had after the morcilla. The steak was cooked perfectly. My friend had a "double cooked pork" which we both expected to be like carnitas, but was actually a pork steak that was so tender you could cut it with a fork.
30w2rex.jpg

Last day in Vienna and of our vacation, and we have to do things righteously. My buddy who is like rainman when it comes to vacation itineraries and finding the great spots to go to leads us to another traditional restaurant/brewery in Vienna. There we got the stelze (what I know as schweinhaxen) which is a crispy roasted pork shank. They got the serving for 2 and I got the serving for 1. We also got litres of the house beer (mine being the marzen on the left). On the small plate was what they called "beer cabbage" which was like a very mild pickled and creamy saurkraut. This meal was absolutely amazing. I've had schweinhaxen twice before and it was not as good as this (which I suppose is to be expected considering the other times were in Vegas and at a small place local to me).
2wrf8xs.jpg

Did I mention that desserts are kind of a thing in Austria? Well, last night there, again, we have to do it right. Kaiserschmarn along with the accompanying marmalades. Think of it as a dense, thick pancake that has been cut or diced up.
2re0az7.jpg

Suffice to say the food in both countries ruined me. I gained 16 pounds from our trip. The worst thing is that as many great spots as we have here in L.A., German food is hard to come by (other than brats, and really, any place can do brats) and German food of this caliber is unknown around these parts.

Giada DeLaurentis's Pasta primavera, added smoked salmon from the honey smoked fish company. image.jpeg

Well it was one of my grand-daughters eighth birthday. Got her an American Girl doll. Rule around here is you get to pick the menu when it's your birthday. She picked macaroni and cheese with ham. No big deal; except my macaroni with cheese is the only one she'll eat, and she loves macaroni and cheese. Hush now, don't tell any one, but some would call it Fettuccini Alfredo.;)

Doc