• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Added a new cutter to the arsenal.

Nice looking cutter. I don't own a V cut but have used one at the lounge a few times and like it.

I haven't used a V cut in easily over 30 years. Have you tried it on a Torpedo? I always thought that is where they worked best. I knew one guy who used to cut a cross into parejos. Years ago, they were smaller, and they didn't work great on bigger ring ga. cigars.

I haven't used a V cut in easily over 30 years. Have you tried it on a Torpedo? I always thought that is where they worked best. I knew one guy who used to cut a cross into parejos. Years ago, they were smaller, and they didn't work great on bigger ring ga. cigars.

Just got it today.
Used it on the Ashton and then on the Vegas Robaina.

I have that one as well but prefer the cut of the Colibri version. I found that the Xikar cut a bit too shallow for my liking.

Well, hell, now I'm going to have to get the colibri too!

Really?

Jeez, it seems like lately after I bought my Colibri V Cutter that's all I use on everything. For some reason all my punch and straight cuts seem too open and too closed now.

Edited to add: Agree completely with Michael. Haven't touched any of my other V-Cutters since buying the Colibri

Not sure if you mean everything I said or just a portion. So, yes really. :D

Regarding too open or too closed, yea, I get that. There was a time when I used to like certain cuts for certain cigars, regardless of size. (I've been smoking cigars a good 40 years) That hole on the end that we draw through has a lot of "Physics" going on. I worked Aerospace for many years. A lot of the heating systems use absolutely no heating elements, just specific size apertures and chambers to heat the forced air. It's really pretty heady.

ETA: Oh, and The Colibri seems to be getting a good reputation. I've heard/seen a lot of positive comments on it. I can't think of any other V Cutter where I've seen that. Maybe they really gathered some real "empirical data" to determine the size of the cut.

That's a fine looking cutter. Never owned a v cut but I might have to pick one up.

Anyone that owns both, could you take a pic of them side by side?

Also, any chance you could cut a cigar with the smaller/shallower cutter, take a pic, then hit it with the wider/deeper blade, and take another pic for comparison?

Not sure if you mean everything I said or just a portion. So, yes really. :D

Regarding too open or too closed, yea, I get that. There was a time when I used to like certain cuts for certain cigars, regardless of size. (I've been smoking cigars a good 40 years) That hole on the end that we draw through has a lot of "Physics" going on. I worked Aerospace for many years. A lot of the heating systems use absolutely no heating elements, just specific size apertures and chambers to heat the forced air. It's really pretty heady.

ETA: Oh, and The Colibri seems to be getting a good reputation. I've heard/seen a lot of positive comments on it. I can't think of any other V Cutter where I've seen that. Maybe they really gathered some real "empirical data" to determine the size of the cut.

That 40 years is exactly why I was so interested in your comment. Do you still find yourself choosing the "right cutter for the moment" or more the "right cutter for the cigar"? Or maybe a combo platter? I guess I figured most people had a single cut they preferred 95% of the time and rarely used something else. I mean, I definitely switch which cut I prefer every few months or longer, but I'm just surprised! Then again, I can eat the same food for every meal for a month and be fine with it. Most people would get sick of that food. :)

Do you still find yourself choosing the "right cutter for the moment" or more the "right cutter for the cigar"?
Most of the time straight cut, but I do like a punch on a PSD4 or some of the Cuban Petit Coronas.
Mostly it's just convenience, and with the vast array of good to great cigars available these days, getting older, being a single dad, I just got out of the habit of figuring out which cut I liked per vitola. I distinctly remember often tasting a difference. For whatever black magic going on, I like the smaller hole on the PSD4, which I've stuck with for many years.
I guess I'll eventually have to get that Colibri. Now I'm curious.

On a tangential thought, what I don't ascribe to is the idea of Punching a hole on one side of LFD Chisels, which some claim directs the smoke to your "palate". The palate is the tongue and the roof of the mouth.

I think my Xikar is at the country house. I'll post a side by side as soon I hunt it down.

OK, bit the bullet and ordered the Colibri.
Haven't even used it yet, and already want to shit can the xikar.
Colibri: built like a tank.
Xikar: built like a disposable item.

IMG_20161021_160628.jpg IMG_20161021_160638.jpg IMG_20161021_160844.jpg IMG_20161021_160902.jpg

Welcome to the dark side. For me it's about the cut and the Colbri just cuts easier and better.