• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Odd humidor question!

Jim Westbrook

I have a small humidor (the first one I ever bought), that I don't use (for cigars) anymore. For a couple of years now, I've stored my pipe, pipe tobacco and accessories in it. Now I have a friend who is new to cigars but wants to buy and keep a few on hand. I'd like to give him this humidor, but I am kind of afraid. I can easily re-season it. But it still smells of the pipe tobacco aroma.

1. Is there any way to safely remove this aroma?
2. If not, is it safe to store cigars in now? How great is the chance that the smell will effect any cigars (in or out of celo) that he keeps in it?

Any help/suggestion/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would probably have him Get a new one of his own. A small table top can be had for little money but it will give lots of piece of mind that you didn't contaminate his cigars.

Try Tupperware filled with baking soda or a glass bowl/cup. The baking soda may absorb the smell. It may take a few days. That may work as it tends to absorb all sorts of odors in other household applications. Not certain if it will absorb all the cedar aromatics, which would suck.

Try Tupperware filled with baking soda or a glass bowl/cup. The baking soda may absorb the smell. It may take a few days. That may work as it tends to absorb all sorts of odors in other household applications. Not certain if it will absorb all the cedar aromatics, which would suck.

Charcoal briquets---the cheap kind, not the ones with lighter fluid or mesquite sawdust in them---do a good job too. I de-stank a flooded car with them once and was amazed how well they worked.

~Boar

That all sounds like a lot of work for what is likely a cheap humidor. I'd just get a new one and keep using yours for your pipe stuff.

That all sounds like a lot of work for what is likely a cheap humidor. I'd just get a new one and keep using yours for your pipe stuff.

And yes, cigars are like sponges and will absorb any odor left behind from the pipe stuff. It's why you never want to store flavored cigars in the same box as normal cigars.

Charcoal briquets---the cheap kind, not the ones with lighter fluid or mesquite sawdust in them---do a good job too. I de-stank a flooded car with them once and was amazed how well they worked.

~Boar
That's actually an excellent idea. Even a bowl of Aquarium Charcoal if you don't BBQ. A pretty popular pipe tobacco blender told me he uses charcoal to defunk estate pipes.

Last edited: