• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Search results

1. C

Salt test mechanics

Here's a picture of my salt test set up. I use a shot glass. The wet salt shouldn't be real smooth; it should look a little coarse. This is visible if you look closely. I put the salt and hygrometer in 2 closable bags; it seems to work fine. Squeeze out most, but not all, of the air.
  2. C

Grappa anyone?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Went to a grappa tasting like 15 years ago with another couple, because the bottles looked so cool. We still joke about it to this day. Reminded us of, well, gasoline. They're talking roses or honey taste and we're thinking Shell or Amoco. As noted above, it's the distilled...
  3. C

Whats in your glass right now?

Dirth Grey Goose Martini w/ blue cheese stuffed olives, well only one olive now........
  4. C

Laphroaig 30 yo Islay Single Malt Scotch

AVB: Saw you have the Lagavulin DE, too. When I saw you had the last post here, I thought I was gonna read you have the HP 30 and Bowmore 30, too. Looking forward to doing the "research" for the review.
  5. C

What do you like to do while smoking?

Sitting outside in the evening, sipping bourbon, listening to music and talking to my neighbor or whoever walks by with their dog. We did this a few Saturday nights last month and it was rather relaxing.
  6. C

Laphroaig 30 yo Islay Single Malt Scotch

I will have to give Laphroig another try. I find the 15 yr old too medicinal; too much iodine taste. Maybe they'll have it at Whiskyfest in April. Just bought 30 yr old Highland Park and Bowmore; will post when I open them this fall, hopefully soon.
  7. C

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15

Pappy is AWESOME, especially the 20 yr old.
  8. C

Lagavulin 16 yo Single Islay Malt

Nice review. I first had Lagavulin in 1991. I was in London and the salesman in the liquor department at Harrod's told me to buy Springbank and Lagavulin; he said the Lagavulin would be very different than any scotch I had tried. I was immediately hooked. Another good Islay malt is Bowmore...
  9. C

travel humidor

Look here, too: Famous Smoke Shop The X-Treme cases are great; I have a 5 and 15. I also got the Aluminum travel humi and the Perfecto that holds around 6-8 sticks; it has a little piece of surgical foam you wet and a little analog hygrometer built in that I salt tested and was pretty close...
  10. C

Pappy Van Winkle 20yo Bourbon

My Pappy collection: The 15 yr old is great on the rocks and a bargain relatively speaking. The 20 yr old is great straight or on the rocks. The 23 is actually a little overpowering with regards to its alcohol taste. Here's the label and Julian's signature on one of my 23 yr old bottles:
  11. C

studyin' rye whiskey

Can't find the link now, but I found some site saying the 3 best ryes were (not necessarily in order): van Winkle Family Reserve, Old Potrero 19th century style, and Sazerac 18 yr old. I was able to get the Old Potrero 18th century; having trouble finding 19th.
  12. C

smoking room

Pictures, Master, Pictures
  13. C

CHI-TOWN AREA BOTL's FEB26th

:angry: #@*&&%$#@##$ That's my one in seven weekend to work. That's where I've been buying my cigars; tempted to buy a watch, too. Quite a selection of stuff in there. Maybe next time. Seems like a good place to watch a weekday afternoon Cubs game..... Up north, Cubby Bear North and Pete...
  14. C

Pappy Van Winkle 20yo Bourbon

Pappy has become my favorite drink. I even like the 15 yr old family reserve on the rocks. I have 2 bottles of the 23 yr old waiting to be opened; one is signed by Julian that I drastically overpaid for on ebay when NO store in Chicago had a bottle. The next weekend, the local Binny's guy...
  15. C

favorite 5 bottles in the collection

AVB: I'm working on a bottle and I have one in reserve that must have been one of the last ones in Chicago. Is it back? I haven't seen it at the major liquor stores here in the last month. xraydoc???? Are you a radiologist, too? We have similar taste in booze; Tanq 10 is my choice for a...
  16. C

favorite 5 bottles in the collection

1. Pappy van Winkle 23 yr old. I was lucky to get a bottle. 2. Talisker 175th anniversary 3. Lagavulin 16 yr old. Impossible to get for now. 4. Don Julio 1942 anejo 5. Bowmore 17 yr old
  17. C

Getting Started

Although it's several months away, keep Whisky Fest (Malt Advocate home page) in mind. It's Nov 6, 2006 in NYC. I've gone to the Chicago WF the last 2 years and it's been great. Essentially all single malts and many good bourbons to taste. In Chicago, it's $95 or $135 to get in an hour early...
  18. C

Chicago cigar bars

Another vote for Cigar King on Lincoln Ave in downtown Skokie. Probably only 20 min from downtown if no traffic. They also sell very nice accessories and even some great looking Swiss watches. I read about CK in the Chicago Tribune a couple of months ago; supposedly they have a stash of...
  19. C

My first single malt scotch tasting

Consider Highland Park or Balvenie Doublewood for well rounded single malts. Talisker is more "smoky" than peaty and is one of my favorites, the only whisky from the Isle of Skye. I currently have unopened Talisker 10 yr old, Distiller's edition and the 175th anniversary edition bottles waiting...
  20. C

Best Tequilla

Don Juliio 1942. I bought a bottle in Puerto Vallarta at La Cas de Tequila when it wasn't even available in the U.S. The bottle is shaped like an agave leaf. Now it's available here, about $140 last time I checked. As smallg says, it's pricey, but worth having for special occasions. My other...