• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Search results

1. P

My most recent estate purchase

The 2 on the lower right look to be either Marxman or Webers (kinda the same things given ownership changes). They would likely be worth full restoration is you were a collector of those lines but otherwise...... Anyway, have fun with your adventure! $11!!!! SCORE!!! :thumbs:
  2. P

That's simply the way it's listed in "Who Made that Pipe?" Whether it's an actual date code is not known to me. However, in the book "Pipes", the entry for Guildhall reads "English brand, a Comoy's second. Dating, at least, from the 1930s, it is still produced." There's no further information in...
  3. P

Well, let's see. Certainly the Dunhill is worth restoring. The Guildhall is a Comoy variant circa 1932, and the Digby is from GBD. Hardcastle, with no other modifier is listed as "Dunhill Owned" so again, likely worth restoring. I think the others would depend on how much the designs appeal to...
  4. P

Mac Baren Roll Cake

I like this tobacco a lot, but find that it bites like crazy on the first couple of lights then settles down nicely. I usually let it dry for 15-20 minutes before loading a bowl. Nice that you're remembering your grand-dad in this way.
  5. P

Gawith

The blend that I'm singing the praises of lately is Robert McConnell's Scottish Flake. It's a basic red Va., no artificial anything that I can tell, and if you smoke it gently it won't fry you. Goes really well with coffee. I'll also second the Chocolate Flake reommendation; great stuff.
  6. P

Samuel Gawith Best Brown & Savinelli Autographs - Photos added

Damn, wish I'd seen this earlier!! Look forward to hearing about the Savinellis though.
  7. P

Nording I just bought

Wups!! My bad, mine's a Stanwell. But I haven't found a Nording yet that was a bad smoker.
  8. P

Nording I just bought

I have a Nording identical to that pipe and it's been a great smoker. Nice score for your first briar!!
  9. P

Pipe gift

American Smoking Pipes by Mark Tinsky. His stock designs are available in finishes near your price point.
  10. P

Pipes and Tobacco Magazine

Another great publication is "The Pipe Collector" put out by the North American Society of Pipe Collectors" $14 for four issues a year, and has lots of good discussion and information. http://www.naspc.org/
  11. P

Pipe Tobacco and Accessory Wish PIF

Holy, I can take care of your Nightcap wish. PM me your snailer and I'll get this out to you. May take a few days, having minor surgery tomorrow, and a knee that's acting up.
  12. P

Frog Morton on the Town

Just tried this again after a long time away from the FM blends. The tin had sat, opened, in the cooler for a couple of years. I LOVE it! Wish it came in bulk, but several tins will be on order soon.
  13. P

Sterilizing an estate pipe

That pretty much covers it. I'd only add that, if the pipe cleaner has trouble going through the shank, a 5/64 (or smaller) drill bit carefully twisted through the draw hole can speed things up. Don't neglect the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortise, lots of gunk can accumulate there...
  14. P

What's in your pipe today?

Great minds think alike! FMOTT in a Ferndown bark prince.
  15. P

Won on eBay

Nice looking freehand. Congratulations on the deal!!
  16. P

Is this Scarilige?

While there are some blends with cigar leaf (usually 10% or less), I'd think twice before I smoked an actual cigar frequently in a pipe. Unless, of course, you enjoy the taste of cigar tobacco along with all the blends you smoke in that pipe. I'd be more willing to dedicating a pipe to cigars...
  17. P

Vermont Maple in a Viprati bent bulldog. The maple flavor is present thru the whole bowl.
  18. P

My lighter quit on me

I'd take Byron up on his offer. The new Zippo fluid has eliminated the naptha smell/taste that people used to complain of about Zippos, and the Old Boys are truly the last lighter you'll ever buy. Strictly indoors or in a dead calm though, the slightest breeze will put them out.
  19. P

I'd agree with the non-flavored burley comment. It's also sort of variable. Of 2 pouches I got recently, the second is distinctly different from the first, much sweeter.
  20. P

Aged cigars are better!

Seems obvious, right? But when I joined this board over 5 years ago, I spent a long time secretly doubting this wisdom. Then, the other day, I pulled out a Jose Padilla robusto from the cooler, first cigar I'd had in over 2 years and about 4 years old, as I recall. What a revelation!! It had...