• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

12 hours

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
12 hours. 12 hours 'till I'm on Terminal. 12 hours 'till I wake for the AF for the last time at o'Dark Thirty. 12 hours 'till I get to start a new chapter. 12 hours 'till I stop putting on combat boots as daily all day wear. 12 hours 'till I get to look back with pride and satisfaction of a job that changed me and I worshiped, and was good at for 2 decades. 12 hours 'till I no longer have a commanding voice in our fight to defend our homes. 12 hours 'till I cry. 12 hours 'till I become one of the past. 12 hours 'till I become a knowing look and nod to someone else. 12 hours 'till I wonder what new life I want. 12 hours 'till I am forced to deal with people who will never understand the horror and pain of loss and the exhilaration of a mission well done. 12 hours 'till I know few who have felt the bond. 12 hours 'till I judge those around me with my own calculated opinion of whether they would or could have helped in scary places. 12 hours 'till I fall asleep and wake myself after horrible nightmares. 12 hours 'till I fall asleep and wake myself laughing. 12 hours 'till I won't worry about and prepare for being gone. 12 hours 'till I no longer get to know. 12 hours 'till I don't think of killing and breaking things. 12 hours 'till I get to quietly observe and know they know not. 12 hours 'till I get to Salute my Flag in uniform one last time. 12 hours 'till my Air Force is behind me. 12 hours 'till I continue to have their six. 12 hours. 12 Hours. -Starbase Ops, Maj. Trey "Axl" Smith, Intelligence, is out. 12 Hours.

Officially 27 June, but, yes. Uniform today for last time. Mix of elation/sadness/what the hell do I do now? Sleep in is first! :p I've got a ton of other options lined up. Ridiculously high security clearance, search and rescue with my dog, EMT/Paramedic, NRA Instructor license. But, for the next day or twelve, not a damned thing productive!

Welcome to the civilian world. My dad spent a year off and did projects around the house when he retired. Since I was just leaving college and working, my younger siblings got to help him. Worst year of their lives as they tell it.

Yeah. Today was hard. Hard to describe the emotions. Pride, lonely, satisfaction, knowing, not knowing...I have nothing to wear! Ha! I actually need to go clothes shopping! *Facepalm* Ha!

It will take a lot longer than 12 hours until you stop make yourself understand everything you just wrote is now your life. I can't tell you how hard it was knowing that I was no longer a "part of it", or deal with everyone else I knew still having to go places unsavory, yet I wasn't with them this time when life sucked. It's quite a change -- at least you get a few months of terminal to get used to it. Very poignantly stated, though, all those thoughts in your head. Best of luck in the Land Of The Blue ID.

Congratulations on a career that reflects credit on yourself, the United States Air Force, and this Country. Long days, longer nights... lots to look back on. It's a bittersweet time, for sure. Keep living your life in service of others as a way to retain that feeling of contribution to society and a greater good. Congratulations, Trey. Embrace it. And, give Murph a treat for Ciao Bella. ;)

He's so short, he can walk under non-skid.

Doc

Congrats brother. Now you're going to need a hobby - full time cigar smoking!

Thank you so very much for your service! Congratulations on retirement.

Congratulations, Trey. Thank you for a life full of sacrifices.
Wishing you all the best as you start your journey towards a new horizon.

Congrats Trey and Thank-you.

A word of warning; Your new life still doesn't have time for a glass of wine at the end, middle or start of the day.

Your service was greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks for your service and congrats on a full career.

I've spoken with several of our recent FD retirees about how retirement is going and they have given mixed results. We recent lost a less than 6 month retiree to suicide. I've taken a couple of different classes on stress/retirement/loss of identity, so if you ever need to talk let me know