• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acid Cigars, Good or Bad?

I picked up 10 CI Legends Copper Labels a few weeks back. Still one of my favorites and well worth trying. Often CI will have them on a daily special, or better yet, invest in the CI Legends Sampler. You get one of each of the ten different cigars all from different cigar makers rolled exclusively for CI.

IF you watch the freefall auctions on Cigarbid, you can get 10-packs of the Copper Labels for $25.00 or so, if you are patient.

Good insight. Much appreciated.

Best,
JD

Jonathan, I think you're a tremendous asset to CP and you make some wonderful cigars. But you need to understand that we express our honest opinions here. Some may be good and some may be bad, but they are at least honest. While some in this tiny corner of the world may not care for your Acid line, there are literally thousands of people that do. Just something to think about when you see a criticism here of some of your cigars. Be well, bud.

JD, if you wander back into this thread, I'm curious how you view the distinction between the Acid culture and that of your other, shall I say, regular cigars. Do you see two different cultures at events and in interactions with you? Or is it just two small peaks on a wide, mixed middle ground? I understand as a business man you may not want to answer or go into details and I respect that. I'll take no answer, but I've always been curious. Take care.

Friends.

Good, bad and the ugly, I love the feedback. You guys know that. Nobody took as may years of a beating on the boards as JD. I'm talking 2,000 - 2,005, but I just hung in there and never really got to upset. There were a few times when my feelings got hurt, cause a few people said things that were disheartening, but overall I believe in this - That nothing is "deserved"in life. You have to earn it. So, I always kept my head up and my parents, wife and friends always believed in me and offered me strength through my struggle.

Now, on to the question of JHolmes763:

QUESTION: JD, if you wander back into this thread, I'm curious how you view the distinction between the Acid culture and that of your other, shall I say, regular cigars. Do you see two different cultures at events and in interactions with you? Or is it just two small peaks on a wide, mixed middle ground? I understand as a business man you may not want to answer or go into details and I respect that. I'll take no answer, but I've always been curious. Take care.

ANSWER: As the only child of two full time antique dealer parents I witnessed a lot of insane things. You could say that my parents were somewhere between Sanford and Sons, the Flea Market, and the Sotherbees Auction house. As a child, my parents would take me all around the United States to attend Antique Shows and try to keep me busy by encouraging me to collect things, such as GI Joe, Kiss Army, and comic books.

Between me collecting things, and working for my parents at the antique shops, (which I started cleaning toilets and mopping and getting peoples lunch at 14), I found that history and period, was extremely interesting. What I mean by "Period" is Art Deco, Art Nouvou, Primitive, Colonial, Classical, Stickley, Turn of the Century, Mission - you name it. I loved to learn about different times and cultures, and meet people who were pretty much freaks of nature. I spent many mornings hitting garage sales with my mom, etc. I learned things about style and time.

Anyway. The point is that later on in life, when graffiti and tattoos became my focus, I wanted to incorporate this into my production, marketing, and personality as a cigar manufacturer. Back in the old days, there was no photoshop, there were blacksmiths and woodmakers, metal fabricators and, tangibles that were engrained in my existence. These "real" things were part of me and I had to express them freely without letting anyone's "better judgement" mess with my constitution. There is a traditional side as well, make no mistake - and you can see this reflected in many of our brands.

ACID Cigars is a part of me. Liga Privada is another part of me. Ambrosia, NATURAL, TABAK ESPECIAL, UNDERCROWN, and JAVA are other parts of what I am made of - like spirits that I trust, if you will. I know that this is a long answer and I apologize for it.

Best,
JD

...and that is why we all love and buy Drew Estate cigars. :thumbs:

Thank you for the answer, JD. I love the passion and enjoy your smokes. Keep doing what you're doing. :thumbs:

Thanks Fellaz,

Burn something nice tonight ....!

Best,
Dizzle

Don't worry JD, I have a few Undercrowns resting in the humi and I think one of them is calling my name. Now if I can just get my hands on a LP #9 or T52...

You know, I very, very rarely see a manufacturer/owner of any product/company respond so cool and collectedly to harsher criticism on forums. I'm wanting to try as many things as possible in the start and think I'll have to at least give these a try in spite of this Thread. :laugh: When I was first looking around, they did catch my attention -- they look like an artisan's work who's mindful and inventive in the aesthetics of a cigar. I guess if the same holds true taste-wise, we'll have to see. :p

You know, I very, very rarely see a manufacturer/owner of any product/company respond so cool and collectedly to harsher criticism on forums. I'm wanting to try as many things as possible in the start and think I'll have to at least give these a try in spite of this Thread. :laugh: When I was first looking around, they did catch my attention -- they look like an artisan's work who's mindful and inventive in the aesthetics of a cigar. I guess if the same holds true taste-wise, we'll have to see. :p

Atreyu, you will hear this a lot here, Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I am not a huge fan of the acids, but I have smoked and will smoke them again. They are good cigars, the only difference is the target market is just smaller. You will not find a nicer more involved person than JD. I ill tell you to try every everything you can and not rule them out because someone said they didn't enjoy it.

Cqb_Guru.

Please hit me with an email when you have a chance at drewnica@yahoo.com and please copy John Brooke on it at jbrooke@drewestate.com

In the subject column please put Military Guy from Pass.

Thanks brother.

JD

Cqb_Guru.

Please hit me with an email when you have a chance at drewnica@yahoo.com and please copy John Brooke on it at jbrooke@drewestate.com

In the subject column please put Military Guy from Pass.

Thanks brother.

JD

You The Man J Dizzle!

I've honestly never tried an Acid cigar, my local shop doesn't carry them, I'd like to try some though, but I started off on CAO Flavours Moontrance nice tasting smooth cigar, ofcourse I've moved on to traditional cigars but every once in a while I will revisit the CAO Flavours line. I have nothing against flavored cigars at all however I do agree with everyone here when they say "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" and dont smoke flavored cigars around people who are smoking traditional cigars.

We are all born with a "sweet tooth" of sorts, and I believe Acids are good for the younger crowds. If you give a 18 year old that has never smoked anything before a regular cigar like something from Fuente or Padron, they would probably hate, and never try a cigar again. But give them something with a aromatic scent and a flavor profile of something other then tobacco it would be easier to enjoy, that's not the case for everyone, but in my opinion it's more likely. When I started smoking cigars, right around my 18th birthday, I immediately was drawn to want to smoke cigars that were flavored, but I didn't like them, maybe my taste buds are a little different. I smoked a good quality cheaper cigar, a curly head, and I got a peanut butter taste from it. It wasn't flavored and wasn't a strong flavor, but I found it was enjoyable, more so then something artificially flavored. I decided it's just like anything else, at first you may not enjoy it thoroughly, but with some more time and a open mind you will learn to indulge in it.

I'm sure many people did the same with beer or liquor in your early years, 16 sneaking beers from your dads stash wasn't exactly drinking honey, but with the mix of taboo and effect it had, you learned to enjoy it. I personally think Acids are a gateway cigar, as you age, you're taste buds change and develop, you normally enjoy food with stronger savory flavors, over those that are salty or sweet, once again not everyone does, but most do.

My taste buds have changed and sharpened, as I was and am more heavily incorporated into the culinary world. I have sensitive taste buds and easily recognize flavors, which helps me enjoy cigars. But I never drank when I was growing up, so now, alcohol and spirits are potent poison to me, but I'm using what I've said above, keeping a open mind, trying to learning to enjoy them.

Acids aren't "bad" cigars, but many in the cigar world are older, seasoned adults, who enjoy the finer things, things more refined even. They're tastes don't accommodate those artificial products that they were once accustomed too. Soda is replaced by beer or spirits, candy as a snack is replaced with fruit maybe, and even cigarettes with cigars possibly.

Just my $0.02

I have never smoked one. I am of the belief that if you like it, smoke it.

Well after reading this thread, I purchased my first Acid Kuba Kuba and Tabak Especial cigar. Though I liked the Kuba Kuba, it just wasn't for me. I really enjoyed the Tabak Especial all the way to the nub. Will buy those again !

Well after reading this thread, I purchased my first Acid Kuba Kuba and Tabak Especial cigar. Though I liked the Kuba Kuba, it just wasn't for me. I really enjoyed the Tabak Especial all the way to the nub. Will buy those again !

Time to try a Java agsansoo... if you liked the Tabak I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Amigos.

Thank you for the feedback on this topic. It is interesting for me to read so many various thoughts regarding ACID Cigars, Drew Estate (past & present), and other brands including JAVA by DE and Tabak Especial.

Wkoti' s thread was interesting, even if I dont 100% agree with everything he wrote. I am curious as to his thoughts on some of our NATURAL by Drew Estate cigars. If you are reading this reply, my brother, please let me send you a few to experiment with. I am not expecting anything. Trust me, they may also not be your cup of tea, but i would like to treat you to the experience if you have time. drewnica@yahoo.com

Best,
JD