• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Medicaid/Medicare experts on board? Open for some Q&A?

MadMonk

My Mom has gotten to where she cannot take care of herself. Physically, wheelchair bound. Mentally, she's mostly there except for Diabetes related sugar spikes screwing up her insulin admin. She does not want to live with me (She trusts me most. I'm child #3, but I have Power of Attorney), and while my siblings haven't offered, I suspect her answer would be the same.

If anybody knows how these govt insurance plans work as related to long term care/nursing home, and you feel up to some PM Q&A, I would appreciate it. Talking to these agencies is like talking to a rock, and the Homes, whom I would think could help me navigate better, saving time, seem to play dumb and focus on us signing payment guarantees, which I suspect is an attempt to maximize profit.

Thanks!

Danno

Hospitals have social workers who know all the in and outs of the system. See one of them. To think these clowns on a cigar forum would know is ludicrous.

Doc

Hospitals have social workers who know all the in and outs of the system. See one of them. To think these clowns on a cigar forum would know is ludicrous.

Doc
Yea, We're trying to get the Social Worker. She's been scarce.
Well hell, if they're clowns, maybe they can make me laugh. I could use a good chuckle.

I work in the Retirement industry if anyone ever needs help with their 401k, IRA, 403B ect, but no luck on the medicare. :(

My mother passed two years ago and things got . . . complicated, during her last years. But yes, get to a qualified social worker. Ours was through the nursing home, and a real godsend. There's a fuck ton of paperwork and regs to navigate, as I recall, but they'll help you through all of it. Once you actually make contact!

My mother's Medicare plan required hospitalization prior to nursing home stays, and there was a days limit on how long she could be there. Full time residence was a separate step and I can't tell you much about it; we ended up needing hospice instead by the time it came to that.

~Boar

Skilled nursing facility (SNF) care
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers skilled nursing care provided in a skilled nursing facility (SNF) under certain conditions for a limited time.

Medicare-covered services include, but aren't limited to:

*Medicare covers these services if they're needed to meet your health goal.

Note
Medicare covers swing bed services in certain hospitals and when the hospital or critical access hospital (CAH) has entered into a "swing-bed" agreement with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), under which the facility can "swing" its beds and provide either acute hospital or SNF-level care, as needed. When swing beds are used to furnish SNF-level care, the same coverage and cost-sharing rules apply as though the services were furnished in a SNF.

If you're in a SNF but must be readmitted to the hospital, there's no guarantee that a bed will be available for you at the same SNF if you need more skilled care after your hospital stay. Ask the SNF if it will hold a bed for you if you must go back to the hospital. Also, ask if there's a cost to hold the bed for you.

Who's eligible?
People with Medicare are covered if they meet all of these conditions:

Your doctor may order observation services to help decide whether you need to be admitted to the hospital as an inpatient or can be discharged. During the time you're getting observation services in the hospital, you're considered an outpatient—you can't count this time towards the 3-day inpatient hospital stay needed for Medicare to cover your SNF stay. Find out if you're an inpatient or an outpatient.

Here are some common hospital situations that may affect your SNF coverage:

Situation
Is my SNF stay covered?

You came to the Emergency Department (ED) and were formally admitted to the hospital with a doctor’s order as an inpatient for 3 days. You were discharged on the 4th day. Yes. You met the 3-day inpatient hospital stay requirement for a covered SNF stay.
You came to the ED and spent one day getting observation services. Then, you were formally admitted to the hospital as an inpatient for 2 more days. No. Even though you spent 3 days in the hospital, you were considered an outpatient while getting ED and observation services. These days don’t count toward the 3-day inpatient hospital stay requirement.
Remember, any days you spend in a hospital as an outpatient (before you’re formally admitted as an inpatient based on the doctor’s order) aren’t counted as inpatient days. An inpatient stay begins on the day you’re formally admitted to a hospital with a doctor’s order. That’s your first inpatient day. The day of discharge doesn’t count as an inpatient day.

Note
If you refuse your daily skilled care or therapy, you may lose your Medicare SNF coverage. If your condition won't allow you to get skilled care (like if you get the flu), you may be able to continue to get Medicare coverage temporarily.

Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay:

• Days 1–20: $0 for each benefit period.
  • Days 21–100: $161 coinsurance per day of each benefit period.
  • Days 101 and beyond: all costs.
Note
If you stop getting skilled care in the SNF, or leave the SNF altogether, your SNF coverage may be affected depending on how long your break in SNF care lasts.

• If your break in skilled care lasts more than 30 days, you need a new 3-day hospital stay to qualify for additional SNF care. The new hospital stay doesn’t need to be for the same condition that you were treated for during your previous stay.
  • If your break in skilled care lasts for at least 60 days in a row, this ends your current benefit period and renews your SNF benefits. This means that the maximum coverage available would be up to 100 days of SNF benefits.
Note
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. It’s important to ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.

If she has Medicaid:

Medicaid is a joint federal and state government program that helps people with low income and assets pay for some or all of their health care bills. It covers medical care, like doctor visits and hospital costs, long-term care services in nursing homes, and long-term care services provided at home, such as visiting nurses and assistance with personal care. Unlike Medicare, Medicaid does pay for custodial care in nursing homes and at home.

Overall program rules for who can be eligible for Medicaid and what services are covered are based on federal requirements, but states have considerable leeway in how they operate their programs. States are required to cover certain groups of individuals, but have the option to cover additional groups. Similarly, states are required to cover certain services, but have the option of covering additional services if they wish to do so. As a result, eligibility rules and services that are covered vary from state to state.

To be eligible for Medicaid you must meet certain requirements, including having income and assets that do not exceed the levels used by your state. The section on “Medicaid Eligibility”, which you can go to by clicking on the link below, provides more detailed information about how to become eligible for Medicaid.

Once your state determines that you are eligible for Medicaid, the state will make an additional determination of whether you qualify for long-term care services. When determining whether you qualify for long-term care services, most states use a specific number of personal care and other service needs to qualify for nursing home care or home and community-based services. There may be different eligibility requirements for different types of home and community-based services.

Your State Medical Assistance office is the best source for information about how to qualify for Medicaid in your state and if you qualify for long-term care services.

Getting in contact with, and staying in contact with a good social worker will help. Sadly there's a high demand and caseload for most. The info Bill provided is straight from the guidelines it seems. Be persistent, be patient, you'll get the answers you seek. Good luck. God bless.