• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any rum connoisseurs want to help out a novice?

Eshaw99

Just livin' the dream
Not that I'm getting tired of bourbon, scotch, and beer (tip of the hat to John Lee Hooker), but I think I'd like to start getting into rum beyond Bacardi and Myers's. Can anyone point me in the direction of some decent rums and (non-frozen) cocktail ideas?

We enjoy Flor de Cana 18 year it's a dark rum from Nicaragua. Nope I lied its 12 year. Sorry bout that misinformation.

Ron Zacapa
Flor de Cana
Just drink it straight. (sipping rums)
Dunno about mixed rum drinks.

- Ron Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

If you know anyone in the Dominican Republic or travel there then you must try the Punta Cana rums, all of them are delicious but one of my favorites is the Punta Cana Club Esplendido.

As pointed out by Seth, these are also sipping rums to drink straight.

Definitely like the suggestions for sipping rums. When I was in Mexico earlier this year, I would often order Havana Club 7yo and squeeze a couple of limes into it. Can't get that here though...

Ron Zacapa 23 Solera
Ron Matusalem Espiritu de Cuba
Flor de Cana Centenario Gold (that's the 18 year old one)

Also:

Cruzan, El Dorado, Zaya, Pyrat, Ron Pampero (in the leather bag) and the younger Flor de Canas are all quite nice, just not nearly AS nice Still quite drinkable, though.

I usually just drink them on the rocks. They really don't need a mixer. But "Tiki Lounge" classics like Mai Tais, Zombies, and Planter's Punch are actually pretty good:

tiki-tolteca-new-orleans-tiki-cocktail-menu.jpg

~Boar

Another that my wife likes is called SantaFe. It's made in Colombia it's pretty good and it gives her a taste of home.

Definitely like the suggestions for sipping rums. When I was in Mexico earlier this year, I would often order Havana Club 7yo and squeeze a couple of limes into it. Can't get that here though...

Really?

I'm on my second bottle of this delicious sipping elixir.

IMG_20160715_175627.jpg

Some great New Hamshire guys turned me on to ron barrilito rum. It's the best sipping rum I've ever had. More in line with cognac than a mixed drink type rum.

Gotta add Appleton Estate 21 to NAMP's list.

Yes. This. A thousand times this. If you want to get your feet wet in Jamaican rum with a lower price tag, the Appleton Estate 12 is good, too.

If you're feeling adventurous, Rum-Bar overproof white rum (65% ABV) is good stuff for mixed drinks. Not too much burn, but it's got a nice coconut nose to it.

If you want a true rum, and not a sweetened liqueur, you should look at Appleton, Doorly's or Mount Gay which are readily available here in the U.S. Some of the European independent bottlings by Velier, Silver Seal, and Berry Brothers & Rudd for example, are beyond great.

Reactions: AVB
I started drinking the Appleton 21 and 12 after drinking Barbancourt 15 for several years. Pretty sure tomthirtysix suggested it to me. I even prefer the Appleton 12 over the Barbancourt.