• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any rum connoisseurs want to help out a novice?

I like Ron Millonario I think 12 from Peru. We've got a nice rum bar here in town that is also the best cigar lounge around. It just gets expensive fast.

Most of my sipping rums have been mentioned above
Ron Zacapa 23
Ron Zacapa XO
Zaya
Zafra
Vizcaya Cask 21

Any of these would be worth finding too.

Ron Centenario 25-Year

Ron Millonario XO
Opthimus 25-Year

And the ultimate if you can find it the Ron Zacapa Straight from the Cask Special Edition from about 3 years ago. I only had a taste but what a taste it was.

Wow, thanks for all of the info guys. I'll pick up a few of these as soon as I can find them.

It's all BS. Real men drink Pusser's Rum. It's the same stuff the English Navy served to it crew prior to battle. What more do you need?
rum-pussers-109-proof.jpg

Doc

Meh, I was a bit disappointed. Seemed watered down and thin.

I'll give it another go tomorrow, because my palate is off today.

Had a few more fingers of this last night.
It is not half bad.

It's all BS. Real men drink Pusser's Rum. It's the same stuff the English Navy served to it crew prior to battle. What more do you need?
rum-pussers-109-proof.jpg

Doc

I've got a bottle of this in the bar, as well. I also use it for my Christmas pudding, and the Christmas pudding barleywine I brewed with my brother.

the more you drink the better it becomes, or... the less you care.

No, I had to give it a second try.
Saturday my palate was shot from the Listerine I gargled for too long because my throat was sore.
Then, my only clean whiskey glass was in my wife's hand....the rest were in the running dishwasher...so, I had to pour the rum in a highball glass, and I must have used too much ice, as well.

Tl;Dr Saturday was a perfect storm for failure. Sunday was much better.

Nobody said put ice in a sipping rum. If you must, use whisky stones.

Nobody said put ice in a sipping rum. If you must, use whisky stones.

I like a few cubes to thin it a touch, but have sipped it with no ice, as well. The bit of water from the ice really smooths out the burn, and allows me to taste the flavors.

I like a few cubes to thin it a touch, but have sipped it with no ice, as well. The bit of water from the ice really smooths out the burn, and allows me to taste the flavors.

I have one of those giant ice cube molds that I use for some (but not all) of my scotches. For some libations I prefer a tiny bit of water and it seems sacrilegious to me to just splash straight water in there.

The problem is that most rums available on the shelf are already watered down to 40%. I suggest as advised previously...use a whisky stone.

Reactions: AVB
Try different glasses too. You might be surprised how much your perceptions may change based on what and how your nose and tongue are brought into play.

Ron Zacapa is still my favorite sipping rum, and I definitely feel that is the best way to drink rum but...
For an afternoon or warm evening cocktail I take some Mount Gay and make a rum & tonic made just like a G&T. With lime. A nice refreshing cocktail...