• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone work on late '90's Jeep Cherokee's?

Yep! You want to see if the ignition source wire is getting 12 volts when the mission keys turn. If not, try moving the gear shift selector while simultaneously trying to crank the vehicle (make sure foot is on brake pedal). You can either be a neutral safety switch issue, or an ignition switch related issue.

The neutral safety switch theory assumes that it's an automatic transmission and not a manual.

Interesting video. Not so much the Jumpstart method, which I have done since the early 80s. I will say that I am always called stupid when I hook up a jump in the manner he does. Can not only keep the battery from exploding, but it can prevent you frying your alternator. I thought of this thread when he mentioned what voltage reading he says is a dead battery.

Exactly how I learned to jump start a car, black connected to chassis away from the battery. Also, don't ever try to jump start if you smell rotten eggs. Towed a few cars rather then jump because of that.

Interesting video. Not so much the Jumpstart method, which I have done since the early 80s. I will say that I am always called stupid when I hook up a jump in the manner he does. Can not only keep the battery from exploding, but it can prevent you frying your alternator. I thought of this thread when he mentioned what voltage reading he says is a dead battery.

Holy crap that dude is funny!!!

Jfields, I am going to check that stuff now and worst case scenario, jump the solenoid and get the radiator job (the original repair) finished so I can just drive up to my buddy's shop if I can't figure out what's not playing nice with the other parts.

Holy crap that dude is funny!!!
Yea, I enjoy his videos. Even learn a bit. Subbed him about a year ago. He's got a pretty decent grasp of both electrical and mechanical. His teardowns/evaluation of product quality are fun, and often eye opening.

Well it was a loose wire coming from the relay! Fortunately everything I replaced needed done anyway so we're on to the next thing on the list!
I'll put up a pic later today or tomorrow as time allows.
Thanks so much for your help guys!!!!!!

The neutral safety switch theory assumes that it's an automatic transmission and not a manual.
Saw my neighbor working on his car, one day. Me: "What's wrong", Him: "Won't start" He had a lot of crap disassembled in the cabin, dashboard, etc. I looked at his Stick, and the car was in drive. Diagnosis complete.

Saw my neighbor working on his car, one day. Me: "What's wrong", Him: "Won't start" He had a lot of crap disassembled in the cabin, dashboard, etc. I looked at his Stick, and the car was in drive. Diagnosis complete.

I've responded to two different people calling me with a "my car won't start" plea for help. Both needed to put their cars in park. :(

Well I'm dumb/stupid/incompetent sometimes but not quite that bad. LOL

Jeep didn't even make it home before it stopped starting again. Jumped the solenoid again and dropped it at the shop.
I have to learn to weld now from a friend because the header on it is cracked and we are going to weld it shut.

Okay, pics...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 5
Well I'm dumb/stupid/incompetent sometimes but not quite that bad. LOL

Jeep didn't even make it home before it stopped starting again. Jumped the solenoid again and dropped it at the shop.
I have to learn to weld now from a friend because the header on it is cracked and we are going to weld it shut.

Is it a cast iron manifold or is it an aftermarket tubular header?

Scap, it looks like maybe an aftermarket with a horizontal crack. My guess is it's from the exhaust hangars being completely rusted out for quite some time.
Right now it needs the neutral/park relay thing replaced. My mechanic says he can do it for $450. I need to see if it's something I want to do. He says the part is $350 or so.
YouTube and Google here I come again.

Scap, it looks like maybe an aftermarket with a horizontal crack. My guess is it's from the exhaust hangars being completely rusted out for quite some time.
Right now it needs the neutral/park relay thing replaced. My mechanic says he can do it for $450. I need to see if it's something I want to do. He says the part is $350 or so.
YouTube and Google here I come again.

$100 to keep from losing more skin off your hands isn't bad. ;)

That's what we have kids for.
That's what I keep telling the wife. Son's already worked on everything with me so far. He freaked a little bit last time we had to jump the solenoid. I made him do it, you should have seen the look on his face when I handed him the screw driver and said watch out for the sparks! Lol

Okay, final entry to the tale of the Jeep Cherokee.
Yesterday my son and I had time to pull out the neutral safety switch. Holy crap that was the easiest fix I've ever done! The YouTube videos were spot on and once cleaned, sanded and hit with dielectric grease and re-installed the damn thing worked better than ever!!!!
Just saved myself about $450 or so and taught my son how to fix it next time!!
Thank you so much for all your help!!!