• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente God of Fire Carlito – 2005

CigSid

Love this place...
This was one of the cigars that Wyatt (Brickhouse) sent me from the CP Make-A-Wish PIF Thread. I promised to do a review, and here it is:

God of Fire is a super-premium brand with a base of cigars dubbed either “Don Carlos” (Ecuadorian wrapper) or “Carlito” (Cameroon wrapper) Beautiful artwork on the first band (an image of Prometheus tied up and being slowly pecked by an Eagle), with a 2005 secondary band, that said Carlito... (Carlito Fuente, who blended the cigar)

Obviously with Wyatt, "cello on"

And seeing the yellowing of this cello, it is obvious that is has some age on it...

cello%20on_zpspmgzru6i.png

Initial smell and appearance:

Graham cracker, milk chocolate, and a slight spice. Rustic looking, with one prominent vein. I am pairing this cigar with ice water, so I can taste every nuance this cigar has to give...
This tightly packed cigar has a solid weight and no soft spots anywhere along the length…

INITIAL%20LOOK_zpsorm2uhwo.png

The fragile Cameroon wrapper had a small crack, which I did not notice initially, and was probably caused by the very dry desert air here... it allowed just a bit of air into the draw, but still had ample smoke production...

CRACK_zpss87jeqpw.png

It’s a beautiful day here in SoCal, 62 degrees and sunny.

BEAUTIFUL%20DAY_zpsbux92r5m.png

Cold draw, graham cracker, milk chocolate and a bit of cinnamon.

Initial taste, first few puffs, a bit of a sour taste, Green apples mixed with lemon and lime…

This reminds me of the massive amount of research I did a few years ago into the differences in the tobacco, the soil, and the growing techniques of different cigars around the world. I found that the main difference is in the soil in Cuba (especially the Vuelta Abajo region) which has virtually no “Malik Acid” (the naturally occurring substance that gives green apples their tart flavor) in the soil makeup. Everywhere else in the world this substance is abundant...

1st third, green apples. Sourness is making my mouth water… lemon/lime and orange peel.

After about 1 inch in, I started getting some sweetness with the lemony tartness...

1%20INCH_zpsdusdkrns.png

Coming up on the end of the first third I can taste leather and the tart lemon/lime twang…

At this point the profile is medium strength, and I am starting to get some sweet grass and cocoa notes, with just a bit of pepper on the retrohale

1 hour into smoking this and I am about half way... Even though I am still getting the tartness, it has moved to the background... Up front is leather, earth and some nuts.

HALF%20WAY_zpsjfoafuqg.png

End of the second third... Lots of leather, some tea notes and cedar. Tons of smoke at this point, and a perfect burn. The strength is medium full and I'm glad I had a big lunch before I tackled this double corona...

Into the final third the tartness is almost non existent at this point (or I have acclimated to it) and the flavor of cedar, sweet hay and leather are prominent. There is a bit of pepper on the retrohale that combines nicely with the dominate flavors. The ash is holding on to about an inch before I tap it off...

Nearing the middle of the last third, I get more spice, and a bit of cinnamon, really enjoying it at this point. The retrohale has black pepper and a nice nutty flavor.

Nearing the end of the final third, and lots of pepper coating the tongue, with leather and earth in the background. There is a sweet tea flavor starting to build which is really nice. The flavor profile is full on at this point and I can feel the nicotine surging through my veins...

DONE_zps1o4hnod4.png

Wow, with this much power at this age, I can only imagine how brutal it was 10 years ago...

Feeling a bit dizzy, I take a few deep breaths, man up, and push on...

At this point I get a Barbecued meat flavor (or maybe it was my fingers that were burning) and toasted sweet tobacco, with spicy black pepper.

I take a few more puffs and surrender the nub to the ashtray...

The burn on this cigar was perfect with a grayish white ash, credit goes to Wyatt for doing a fantastic job of aging this cigar

Final Thoughts:

* The God of Fire by Carlito 2005 started out with that typical (to me) sour taste, and is the main reason why I used to chunk NC’s and DC’s...

* I am glad I continued smoking this; it evolved beautifully into something that I really enjoyed...

* Total smoking time was just under 2 hours

* This was, I believe, the strongest cigar I have ever smoked. I may just be a wuss, or used to the Cuban Cigars that are a bit milder...

* Wyatt described this cigar as smooth as silk… I have to agree, smooth and creamy…

Total score 93… If you break it down, the first half was a 90, and the last half was a 95, finishing really good.

Thank you Wyatt for giving me this opportunity.

Last edited:
Excellent Review, Bill. I had a couple of good laughs too.
Those Fuente's take a while to warm up and come into their own, but I typically enjoy them once they come alive.
(I tend to enjoy the Don Carlos line most).
Can make a person wonder how CA can rate a cigar based on how little of it they say they smoke for their review process.

I'm certainly glad that you ended up enjoying it Bill. Sorry about the crack, I didn't even notice that when I packaged it up. I hope it didn't detract from the experience too much, and it doesn't sound like it did.

Yes, those can be some heavy hitters, I thought after 10 years that it would have mellowed out quite a bit, but apparently not. I always found those to be interestingly strong yet smooth. Which is part of what I loved so much about them.

Also, you made a great point about them starting out sour and being the reason you normally chuck NC's. I think you're pretty damn right about that, and actually I find that fairly common with a lot of NC's. I never noticed it until I started smoking more CC's, but it seems to me it takes most NC's about 10 minutes to get settled in. Whereas the CC's I smoke rarely need to "stretch" so to speak. I'm glad you stuck with it and it worked out for you....see they aren't all bad!!!!

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to do the review and thanks for the pics. I hope you enjoy the rest as well, I've tried to mix it up in regards to their overall profiles.

Last edited:
.....WHAT..!!..?? Bill smoking a NC? Fire, brimstone, the four horsemen of the end times riding over the hill..!!..??...:p

Kidding aside, thanks for a great review..!! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Bill. I've had these in the past, and with even a few years on them, I remember being quite impressed. I also found Wyatt's comment quite interesting;

Also, you made a great point about them starting out sour and being the reason you normally chuck NC's. I think you're pretty damn right about that, and actually I find that fairy common which a lot of NC's. I never noticed it until I started smoking more CC's, but it seems to me it takes most NC's about 10 minutes to get settled in.

I hadn't given that much thought, but I believe it to be the case, more often than not.

I have a few NC's that I really like, but of course you can't buy them anymore...:(. You may have inspired me to burn one of my treasures and write a review.....:cool: