• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

sterlingnotes said:
Hmmm... breast like wrapper.  I've GOT to try one of those!
That's what happens when you use cellphones to do a review. The autocorrect function turned bready into breast. I think the autocorrect is a breast man, too! :D

Its been awhile since I was able to do a review, But this one is going to be fast. Sorry in advanced for that. Not allot of time and I don't want to drag my feet on this.

So 1st off. This stick was very well made. Looks flawless. Dark Rich Oily wrapper. I did not go into measuring or anything I wanted to really go into this BLIND. So once it was lit my first draw had just a touch of earthiness to it quickly followed by a rich smooth tobacco flavor and maybe some leather? WOW I said to myself like a dumbass in my garage. HAHA this is very nice.

The draw on this was average nothing to light nothing to hard. I guess its what you expect from a cigar right in the middle. Smoke production was again right down the middle. While it rested between draws it kept a smooth nice wisp of smoke pumping off of it just reminding you, HEY Im over here! 

The pure clean rich tobacco flavor followed by nice leather notes continued down to my half way point. At this point the ash is still holding on strong and burning evenly. Now im guessing this is a MED to FULL body cigar. The complexity of this smoke now keeps its tobacco and leather notes but for some reason I pick up just a hint of coffee and or nutmeg? cinnamon? hmm very nice. The strength is picking up just a bit at the 3/4 mark, but none the less very enjoyable notes throughout. This is about where my phone died and wasn't able to get anymore pictures of the smoke. I smoked this thing to almost a full out NUB when I had to run inside because my daughter woke up and wanted daddy. Shame to waste even 1/4 inch of this baby.

Sorry for the short, probably horribly written review. 

Now for my guess???? Who the hell knows, I in the beginning was thinking NOTHING going in blind. Then because I am not a cigar master or anything and dont know the look of just about anything I started thinking.... Could it be a padron maduro? But once I felt I was tasting some coffee style notes I became confused thinking a padron would probably not have notes of much other then awesome tobacco....
Its dark and oily... drew estates? my uzi? no cant be that....I do have something that looks identical to it in my box. But I dont want to compare and guess on that. So I honestly give up..... Follow to the bottom for the reveal.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12031]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12042]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12043]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12044]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12045]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12046]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12047]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12048]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12049]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12050]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12051]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12052]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12053]

Tatuaje Reserva GOD DAMNIT! I do have 1 of these in stock, but have never had 1. WOW thanks! I loved it. And I will mark my words be buying more of these! 

Excellent review Steve, glad you liked it! It was an older '64 that kinda looked like a backwoods stogie, so I thought on looks alone it would distract from the Padrón flavor profile.

You must have a great tongue... :sign:

emoshun said:
Excellent review Steve, glad you liked it! It was an older '64 that kinda looked like a backwoods stogie, so I thought on looks alone it would distract from the Padrón flavor profile.

You must have a great tongue... :sign:
I enjoyed smoking an unfamiliar cigar that was also quite tasty - and "breasty", as it turns out!?! :p

Thanks, Jimmy, for stumping with such a unique cigar!

extremeXconcepts said:
who is steve? lol
Glad you enjoyed it, Jeff. I also smoke the little Tat #5 petite reserva when time is short.

My first blind review so this should be fun.

Prelight:  Smooth wrapper with a visible seem, not much veining.  Firm feel without too much give.  Draw is firm but not hard with a nice clean tobacco taste and smell to it.

1/3:  First couple of puffs had a real spice to it.  A tingle on the lips and tongue but not in a bad way.  Some pepper as well and the profile that I usually only find on really nice CC's.  All of this quickly tames down into a nice low medium strength cigar.  A good amount of smoke is being produced.  This looks to be a very good cigar.  About a half inch in, the spice shows itself to be clove in nature.  Even has the slight numbing effect but I don't find this to be a negative.  Ash is light grey, tight and held on over an inch before I knocked it off.  Burn was slightly wavy needing minor touch ups.  At the end of the first third I am starting to pick up some wood and coffee notes while the spice and pepper are much more subdued but still present.

2/3:  The flavors here move into a nice mix of toasted wood and tobacco with coffee and white pepper undertones.  Strength is now a solid medium.  

3/3:  Going into the final third, any pepper and spice have have disappeared leaving toasted wood and tobacco in a nice medium strength cigar.  With about an inch left it does start to burn a little hot so I let it go out.

Conclusion:  A very nice cigar.  Worked very well as a late night treat.  My initial impression was a CC, but as it evolved I dropped that assumption.  For the life of me I don't know what this cigar is but I would smoke one again.
sml_gallery_19975_1936_150838.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_1174807.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_1174807.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_668071.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_1054063.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_959673.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_980839.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_1206257.jpg

sml_gallery_19975_1936_729864.jpg

med_gallery_19975_1936_1761851.jpg

Montecristo Espada Robusto.  Really nice cigar and one that I had wondered about.  Haven't had the best luck with the few Monte's I have had so this was a nice treat.  Thank you Jeff.

I enjoyed your review. Sounds like an unusual cigar.

extremeXconcepts said:
Nice review man. Sorry again for my delay. Glad you enjoyed it.
Not a problem, it was worth it.

vortex said:
I enjoyed your review. Sounds like an unusual cigar.

It was good considering my past experience with the Monte's I have had before.  Worth the cost I see them go for online IMO.

Well the weather finally got to a balmy 39 degrees yesterday so I figured it was high time to do my blind review from oke&coke, so here goes:

Pre-Light:
Great construction, triple cap.  Corona size.
Sniffing the foot I get some nice aromas of sweet hay and honey.  Pre-light draw gives me a bit of milk chocolate, not much spice noticeable.  
Zero guesses at this point.

1st third:
First few draws reveal a good bit of spice, contrary to the cold draw.
Nice coffee notes and a great draw.  Great med-full strength.  A really nice cigar so far.
No guesses.

2nd third:
Smoothing out a bit, but still nice and full on the flavor.
Good strong coffee notes and rich tobacco flavor with each draw.
Burn is spot on and consistent. 
Starting to think its a Nicaraguan....illusione perhaps?  Can't be quite sure...

Final third:
Full and rich.  Spice stepping back up to the plate.
Burn spot on, great flavor very enjoyable.  I've had this cigar before... I just can't place it!
Slight licorice/bright notes.
Grrrr...what is it?  I'm stumped!

The reveal?  See photos below....

...Photobucket is currently being a b*tch so I will post photos later.

Cigar: My Father 2012 LE Corona!

I have a half box of these in my cooler.  Knew I've had this before.  Thanks for the smoke, brother!

Start Time: 11:00 am

Place: My office temp about 62 degrees F, with the door open for a little draft.

In Cello no band

Size:   Toro about a 50+ ring

Pre-light visual inspection shows no wrapper flaws, only one place where the wrapper was slightly wrinkled due to pulling to make the edge even.  Double cap with one wide layer under the cap.  Slightly toothy light medium colored wrapper.  (The pinch between the thumb forefinger test as described in the video How to tell a fine cigar yielded no soft spots indicating this is indeed a fine cigar.  http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/77066-tips-for-determining-a-fine-cigar-from-a-not-so-fine-cigar/ LOL) 

Pre-light wrapper sniff has very light aroma of tobacco.

11:13 The light: cigar toasted and lit before cutting head.  The head was cut using a straight cutter.  Limited cut by the cutter, as if on a table.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12555]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12560]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12567]

11:17 first puff was nearly flavorless but with generous smoke.  Second puff yields very generous flavors with a medium finish and a slight a bit of a perfume note upon release.  At this point the profile is mild.

First Third: finished at 11:41  The ash was firm for the first ¾ of an inch but fell off when simply placing it in the ashtray.  Not a knock on the stick as this is very normal.  Perfect burn, no runs or errors of any kind.  Consistent flavor profile mild with medium at best finish.  Pleasant tobacco flavors.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12566]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12565]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12572]

Second Third: finished at 12:15, the flavor profile has morphed a bit into a distinctly longer finish with notes of leather added to the tobacco flavors.  Burn is still nearly perfect and the ash is firmer than the first third.  Voluminous smoke on demand with an easy draw.  A bit of an aftertaste develops on the tongue after a draw.  Almost a walnut or nutty flavor, pleasant indeed.  A slight bulge developed with a crack of about ¼ inch.  A second crack near the first one is starting to appear.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12559]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12564]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12565]

Last third: finished at 12:41 Burn is still very good but more cracks are developing in wrapper.  About every inch the ash falls off.  This is not a knock just reporting it.  As the cigar was smoked, it burned right through the cracks with no big issues.  Nutty flavor continued to manifest itself as the cigar entered its final stages.  Not much of an increase in the intensity, but there was some.  More intense nutty flavor on the tongue as it begins to enter the nub phase.  At the nub phase a few uncharacteristic flavor developed perhaps because it heated up a bit.  I am calling this done.  A nice overall smoke.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12561]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12574]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12557]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12568]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12569]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12563]
If I was asked on a scale of 1-10 my call would be about an 8, over all this was a good solid, smooth cigar.

My wild guess is R&J by Altadis, weak I know but thats all I can come up with, and I haven't had one of those in quite a while.

And the answer is....see picture..HA fooled the heck out of me.  Big Time.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12556]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12562]

PS sorry about the edits, but I wrote the review on Word as I was smoking the cigar and then copied and pasted, so I keep finding spacing errors.

Thanks for the review Larry.  Haven't tried any of the Davidoff offerings myself.

Alright, time to bang out this blind review. 

I had planned on accomplishing it earlier, but a slight cold put a damper on that.  I managed to find a little time on Sunday… only two days until baby Graham’s arrival!  I’m not counting on much free time after that, so I mosey out to the back porch with a big cup of Café Au Lait and a blind cigar from my old friend Trey (Spad31). 

The blind stick in question is a 5x50ish natural robusto with minimal veins, but they are pressed.  The head is far too round and not triple-capped, so right off the bat I’m thinking Non-Cuban.  Weight in the hand is average and it’s fairly solid with minimal give when squeezed.  I clip the head with my Palio and take a few cold draws, which give very slight barnyard flavors.  Two matches to toast and one to light and we’re off to the races.

gallery_7985_1339_68579.jpg

The initial draws are tremendously mild.  There’s a trace of earth and fleeting touches of cream.  The cigar is very light through the first third, but the burn is sharp and the gray ash holds on for an inch plus.  Towards the end of the first third I start to detect a slight mineral note which I usually associate with Dominican cigars.  Could be a possibility. 

I try hotboxing the stick starting the second third.  The ash falls off and I’m rewarded with a slight changeup in flavor; a slight hardwood note that’s pretty good.  Unfortunately the other trace flavors vanish.  This cigar is still very mild and remains so throughout the middle.

Going on into the final third I try hotboxing the robusto again trying to coax some more flavor out of it.  I get a vegetal flavor like green pepper.  The mineral note also comes back, but the cigar is starting to punish me for hotboxing by turning bitter.  I give it a quick purge which helps cool it down and yields a very faint peanut butter note.  It doesn’t last, however… the mineral flavor returns, along with the bitterness.  The blind cigar has given me all it has to give and I let it go out with about an inch and a half left.

As for a guess?  I’m think it's Dominican, but I don’t have much beyond that.  This cigar was much milder than my usual cup o’tea, so I’m struggling coming up with something...  I’ll guess something Altadis/General out of the Dominican Republic.

gallery_7985_1339_81978.jpg

The reveal:  A Cohiba Red Dot!

Crazy coincidence I opted for my Cohiba ashtray today, huh?

I think it’s been the better part of a decade since I’ve had a General Cohiba.  I remember this cigar being much more full-bodied.  Good evidence of how much tastes change I suppose.  Trey, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try it!