• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Well, Joe (Yeahthatsme) pointed out to me that I never did my review. And I know I posted it, but it's not here. The interweb equivalent of that lost sock in the dryer. So, here goes...

Back here I got Joe's great PIF package.

When the weather is nice, I try to make Wednesday my cigar lunch day at work. So, with the weather expecting to cooperate, I decided to take the blind smoke out and do my review. A short drive from my office is Freeport's Nautical Mile, and down the end is a little gazebo that overlooks Long Creek, near the Jones Inlet. The selected stick had a nice brown color to it. A couple small veins. And a scent that was nothing except pure leather. The cap was well done, but not a triple, so that eliminates an entire nation, and some other smokes produced elsewhere.

100_3504.jpg

The stick was about 4x the length of a small tug boat, with a ring gauge equivalent to the height of the boat, as you can see. More scientifically speaking, I'd guess around 6" in length, 46-48 ring gauge. The pre-light draw had a hint of the leather I could smell on the wrapper, but most of the taste was tobacco. The cigar was paired with ginger ale, my non-alcoholic preference when I'm smoking. I lit the foot with my Zippo Blu, and was off to work.

The first third was highlighted with a lot of spice. I could feel the spice on the back of my throat. And an underlying hint of sweetness. I tried to put my finger on it. Kind of like the taste of real cinnamon. Maybe a little hotter. Throw some chili powder in the mix with it. The wind was blowing a lot harder than it was supposed to, but that wasn't holding the cigar back. The burn would occasionally go off-line, but it quickly corrected itself. The construction had me VERY impressed. I headed over to the other side of the gazebo for better protection from the wind and a better angle from the sun for the pictures.

100_3505.jpg

As the cigar moved into the second third, the spice started to subside. I don't really want to say it "mellowed," because that kind of sounds negative. Maybe "settled" would be a better word. Big, thick clouds of smoke with each draw left me with a taste of leather and coffee, along with the last remaining hints of the sweet spiciness from the beginning. I was also starting to get a little bit of a buzz. That right there was a pretty big clue.

I normally like fuller-bodied cigars, and from time-to-time I do still get a little bit of a buzz. But it does not happen often. Now that the cigar has settled in to it's flavor profile, I start to think back to the smokes that I have gotten a little light headed from, and what could possibly match what I'm tasting.

100_3506.jpg

As I come down to the end, the leather becomes more prevalent. So does my head rush. There's only one marca this could be: La Flor Dominicana. And although I usually smoke more Oscuro Natural LFD's than their Natural counterparts, one of the biggest buzz's I ever got from an LFD was from smoking a Chiselito Natural. A MUCH stronger buzz than from any Chisel O/N I ever smoked. The burn keeps self correcting, and I never need to re-light. Pretty impressive in my book, considering how stiff the wind is down here.

The cigar is not burning hot, does not taste bitter, and is still going strong. Unfortunately, my lunch hour is winding down at this point. I have time to take one last picture before I start to collect myself and head back to the office:

100_3507.jpg

At about 1.5x the length of a fishing charter boat, this cigar has made it a very happy lunch hour. And a half. I continued to smoke it the whole way back to the office. Driving slowly. And then as I walked up to the front door. Slowly. And then one last draw as I open the door, and drop it in the cigarette thing out in front of my building.

I come back to my office, open the envelope with the band, confident in my guess of LFD.

Only to find out I was wrong. Kinda. Litto Gomez Diez Americano, 5.75 x 46. I don'tknow why LG never even entered my thought process. Maybe because Ive only smoked a few, and most of those were Orientals or Chisel Puros. But this blind review definitely tells me I need to smoke more.

Joe - thanks again for a great smoke. :thumbs:

Hooray! Glad you liked it, I smoked one of the orientals after eating at jack stack the night before the LFD event and MAN was it a good(and STRONG) smoke!

Hooray! Glad you liked it, I smoked one of the orientals after eating at jack stack the night before the LFD event and MAN was it a good(and STRONG) smoke!

I gave an Oriental to a good friend of mine. It was right after the Bucs - Giants playoff game. We just left the stadium, it was 90+* outside, and we were all extremely dehydrated. When I lit my post-game smoke, he asked if I had anything he could have for a victory smoke.

After having to hear the whole walk back to the lot how much better his Giants were than my Bucs, I thought it would only be right to let him smoke the LG. :whistling:

I remember reading your review a while ago. The lunch break and boat trip were a give away.

Here I go about to embarrass myself. I received my first Blind PIF from Anthem and was pleasantly surprised by the sticks he sent.
I found some time to smoke while I was at work last night. As I prepared for the smoke, I tried to find a make-shift ashtray. I couldn't find any foil, no empty cans, cups, nothing....so I had to improvise. As you see in the picture below, there is my Zippo, a bottle of Poland Spring, my Blind PIF cigar, and yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is a frying pan. Screw it, I wasn't going to smoke hanging around the bathroom sink or toilet.

IMG00085.jpg

Upon inspection of the cigar, I instantly thought it was a special edition John Stamos cigar. That stogie was oily as hell. The stick was 6 inches long and had about a 50 ring gauge and it gave off a strong chocolate aroma. The construction of the cigar appeared to be very well made. It was kind of toothy but solid at the same time. I used a bull's eye cutter to pierce it. The pre-light draw was tight, not breathing through a straw asthma tight but slight resistance tight. I want to say that I tasted some cedar and leather just a bit. The chocolate was present during the draw as well. The chocolate aroma and the taste was just like the unsweetened baking chocolate. (Yes, I know about baking chocolate).

As I lit the cigar, I noticed that the foot lit almost cigarette like. I didn't really have to spin the cigar at all. The first couple of puffs of smoke, I want to say that it was a hearty smoke, but hearty sounds like it's synonymous with full-bodied. At this point it was mild, extremely mild. There was a lot of white smoke being generated.

IMG00086.jpg

IMG00087.jpg

IMG00089.jpg

There should have been a picture preceding the last picture but I was caught up in the game last night. SCREW THEM PHILLIES!

The first 1/3 gave me chocolate and leather flavors. As the cigar burned it filled the room up with a sweet smelling aroma and it made me keep leaving and entering the room just so I can smell it.

From the middle of the cigar to the nub, some pepper picked up. The cigar became spicy on some draws but then kept it's initial sweetness on other. Some people would call that complexity - I'll call it weird. I put it down with about 1/2 inch to go and called it a night.

Overall, I enjoyed the cigar. It relaxed me for some reason. I really didn't feel the urge to take a drink as much as I do with other smokes.
Anthem told me the Blind PIF cigar would be one of my wished for cigars, so I thought all along it was a Liga Privada No. 9. I seen that cigar a couple of times and from what I remember, it looked just like this one. So that was my guess: Liga Privada No. 9.

Wrong: CAO Soprano

Ok, this is a first for me….

After reading everything in this thread I’ve chosen to also borrow Marco-Polo’s format. Prior to torching this stick I spent some time reading other CP reviews, finding a lot of buzz words such as sweet, spice, coco, chocolate, creamy, leather, cedar, earth and the one that scares me the most; barnyard. Thankfully I won’t be using that one. Smooth, bitter, soft and bold were also frequently used. So I tried to keep all of these terms in mind as I smoked.

I smoked this stick in my off season smoking lounge (garage) with my current read (Amber Room, passed to me through the CP Book Club) and two Harpoon India Pale Ales. I intended on one ale but the stick demanded a second. The weather was damp and about 60 degree.

Prelight:

Dimensions: 6” x 58 at the foot? It was hefty.

Wrapper: Medium dark not a Madura. Maybe Sungrown or Sumatra.

Prelight draw was easy, smooth. Maybe a hint of coco? Something on the sweet side.

Construction:

There were a few veins showing through the wrapper, all in all, a very sturdy stick. Signal cap. Lit right up, didn’t have to turn it more than once. I was able to get a 2 ½” ash and then another about 1 ½” with little difficulty. Strong, solid ash, medium grey with small lines of black.

Flavor and Aroma:

First third was light with an easy draw, smooth, maybe creamy is the word I am looking for but everything was light/thin. Half way through the first third the flavor intensified. It became fuller and made me think of velvet and silk. The aroma was pretty much the same throughout the first third, thick clouds of sweet smoke.

Second third was still a nice easy draw but as I went through this stage the taste changed to more soft leather rather than cream. At the bottom of the second third it turned a little earthy but no barnyard flavors, thank god.

Top of the final third was more soft leather with a little more earth but it was still easy, smooth, tasty draw. At this point I realized what an exceptional cigar I was smoking and I would have to get more. I smoked it down to within an inch of its life. It turned a little bitter at the very end but with a stick this size that didn’t surprise me.

Conclusion and guess:

The stick never got hot but then again I don’t rush my smokes. It remained smooth with hints of various flavors, I had trouble indentifying, changing steadily throughout. I spent about an hour and a half enjoying it. The burn never needed to be touched up, it was perfect throughout.

As far as my guess? I was thinking Aston VSG or Montecristo?

Reality:

Arturo Fuente, Don Carlos #2…6x54. This never crossed my mind because I had never had one. This was an excellent smoke and the experience was good. It made me realize that I need to pay more attention to the good ones when I have the opportunity.

Thanks Derek and thanks to all for letting me play.

Tom
Review003.jpg
Review015.jpg
Review018.jpg
Review019.jpg
Review023.jpg
Review030.jpg
Review037.jpg
Review041.jpg

Help! Can someone please tell me why all of the photo's I just posted are side by side instead of up and down.
Tom

Great review and I'm glad you enjoyed it!! Don Carlos are some tasty sticks...hope you're not hooked! :whistling:

Derek

->you're pics are fine...the page takes awhile to load

Nicely done and good looking photos.

Don't be ashamed of not getting it - you hit a lot of the points dead on. Now I want to try mine.

PS. Barnyard doesn't mean that it smells like dung - it means it smells rich and earthy, like a freshly plowed field as opposed to inside a stable on a hot summer day (ew!) Some really expensive wine, notably barolos and barbarescos from Piemonte in northern Italy, has a similar smell, wet earth and violets. It's very pleasant.

PS. Barnyard doesn't mean that it smells like dung - it means it smells rich and earthy, like a freshly plowed field as opposed to inside a stable on a hot summer day (ew!)

Thanks for explaining that Marco-Polo......Also thanks goes to whoever fixed my photo's. I reduced to 50% on photobucket but I must have screwed something else up because they posted at 100% and side by side. Love to get a little help on that if someone has the time.
Thanks
Tom

My apologies go out to Marco-Polo. When I logged on a couple minutes ago I realized I edited Marc-Polo’s post. I had no intentions of editing your post. I was just trying to just quote you. Once again my website ineptness shows bright. Again, my apologizes, I meant no disrespect.

Please bear with me during this learning curve. Obviously its not at a 90 degree angle.

Tom

I don't think you can actually edit someone else's post. You were probably editing what was quoted from Marco's post.

In any case, nice review. That stick looks like it smoked very well. I'll have to try one of those.

All you did was take out the last quote tag. I wouldn't have even noticed, and neither would 99% of the other people on CP. No big deal - now pull out another good smoke and enjoy yourself.

Appearance) Looks to be a small robusto. Triple cap. Minimal veins with a medium-dark brown wrapper. Firm near the cap, but looser towards the foot. Easily pop off the cap. Pre-smell offers light leathery cedar. Easy pre-draw offers the same. (9.5/10)

Taste) Easy light-up and we’re off… First draw provides mainly leather and pepper, with a touch of cocoa. There’s a slight grassiness. The easy draw leads to an abundance of smoke…*cough*cough. Harshness at the back of throat and impossible to nasal exhale. Only strong, woodsy leather. Very spicy and full-bodied through the first 1/3. Pepin-like…? ???

Immediately it begins to calm, the smoke turning from harsh to flavorsome and creamy. Very complex wood and leather notes - toasty. Hints of coffee jump in and out. Medium-full with a little pepper. Absolutely tasty!! The slower I smoke, the easier the flavors are to pick out.

Past the halfway point and it’s still mainly cedar; the leather notes turn earthy. Definite rich coffee aftertastes. Easier to exhale the savory smoke through the nose now. Still has a kick of spice in the background. At this point I get a little tar on the lips. :angry: I reclip, purge, and let rest a few minutes.

Final 1/3 is cedar and coffee at the forefront. There are hints of bittersweet/dark chocolate. Still plenty of spice…methinks this is Nicaraguan. The richness continues all the way to the end, never getting as harsh as the beginning. (9/10)

Construction) Never needed any touch-ups. Light colored solid ash. No draw problems. Very well-made. (9.5/10)

Final score: 9.35

Conclusion) This cigar performed like a champ. It had a definite kick to it, but I didn’t get the tremendous nic-buzz like most Nicaraguan head-rippers. Good solid tobacco flavors throughout. I’m in love with this cigar!! Complex, rich flavors, great construction! I’m going to guess, based on the perfect construction and the spice, it’s a Padilla ‘48. If not, it has to be something Pepin-made!!!

*edit==> REALITY:
La Aroma de Cuba - Ashton-made; mostly Honduran. Wow, I was way off! ??? A great stick, nonetheless. Thanks again, NASTY!!!