• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bourbon Bucket List?

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
This is a question for you dedicated bourbon drinkers...is this article accurate?

Not that all the bottles mentioned are the best-of-the-best, but are they all worth trying & worth the money? 

LINK

Interesting read.  I was glad to see at least a handful of stuff I've had.  I have to say that Blanton's is the most impressive bourbon I've had to date and find it well worth the price. 

Booker's, Noah's Mill, and Four Roses are reasonbly priced in my opinion and very good.  So I see no issue recommending those.

I haven't had the rest, but I would like to try Pappy of course.  I won't be paying that price tag anytime soon though.

Cool article, thanks for sharing.  I'm no bourbon aficionado but I have had a couple on the list.  I've tried the Four Roses Single Barrel, very nice bourbon.  Not sure what my buddy paid for it but the article says it's normally around $40, I'd say it's something to consider at that price range.  The other accessible one I've had on the list is the George T. Stagg.  That one I really didn't care for, I think it was more because of the high ABV.  I had a customer here in the store bring me a bottle of the A.H. Hirsch 16 Year, actually it was half a bottle of Hirsch.  I tried some at the store and was blown away by the bold flavors and incredible smoothness.  I believe it's only a 90 proof but it drinks like a much stronger bourbon.  

Never had Pappy before, heck I've never seen a bottle in person.  I've heard of the Noah's Mill before, might try looking for some.  That Jefferson's Ocean sounds interesting, maybe a little gimmicky.  

One that's not on the list that I would recommend is Rowan's Creek.  It's a great "every day" bourbon priced around $30 or $40.

Eric   

Cool article!

I didn't particularly care for the Booker, Weller, or Willet myself, but live for the bourbon of the gods that is George T. Stagg.  It's unfortunate I'll probably never see another bottle in this neck of the woods again . . . it's become like the Pappy 20 here. Pure liquid unobtainium.

I like the Four Roses Small Batch better than the Single Barrel (smoother) and keep telling myself I will spring for a bottle of Blanton's one of these days.  And I'd love to find a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon---their regular line is literally the cheapest bourbon good enough to drink straight on the shelf, and if they can do bourbon that well on the cheap, I'd love to see what they make when they pull out all the stops.

~Boar

They are all worth it except Hudson's, Widow Jane and probably Ocean, may be my Kentucky bias but having tried them all and having 13 of the 15 in my bunker currently....They cover pretty much the range of Bourbons.  All are worth a try especially at MSRP, you will find that you enjoy them based on your particular taste for either Rye or wheat or in between.  Some of the prices are a little off and several are tough to find these days. Four Roses SB is very enjoyable and the rumor is they are ending their release of a non private label version.  However, one can typically find private label bottles.  Another interesting fact is there are 10 different recipes of Four Roses based on the mash bill and Yeast strain, all ten make for an interesting side by side.

Weller 12 is becoming a unicorn like it's big brother Pappy, although it can be found at release several times per year, I really enjoy this reasonably priced daily drinker. 

Ocean is a gimmick as far as I am concerned...interesting concept that sloshing the barrels around on a boat for 6 months will give you hyper age but the price tag does not warrant it IMHO.

Larceny is Heaven Hill's answer for a wheater and is actually quite enjoyable.

Black Maple 16 is virtually impossible to find anymore,  Same with Hirsch 16 and the price tag will be astronomical if you found it.  Noah's Mill is very nice although not as nice as was with the 15 Yr age statement, thankfully the drop off has not been that great yet though.   This year's Birthday Bourbon was very nice and in my opinion their best yet.  Stagg is great if it can be found,  Willett is a nice representation of a heavy rye recipe.

Very interesting read thanks very much for sharing. I have a few to add to my list. I have crossed off the four roses also, not a big fan of that one.

Bourbon like cigars, are pretty subjective. We each like what we like, some better than others. Pappy to me is solid Bourbon however, in my opinion, not worth the price tag.  Strong vanilla aroma, caramel, great color, nice finish but other Bourbon do the same without the price point. I remember the first bottle of Pappy I got, poured a drink and thought, “very good”. [SIZE=12pt]Older bourbon isn’t necessarily better: If the spirit spends too long in a barrel, all you’ll taste is the wood. I just didn’t wow me, some may agree, some may not.[/SIZE]

The Hudson Baby Bourbon is a “good” Bourbon just too “young” for me. You can tell it has “promise” however, right now, there are several Bourbon’s for less money that will surpass this one at least for now.

Woodford Reserve , Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig,Booker's are a few of my “go to's” and with a $30.00 plus price you can’t really complain to much.

I have had 11 of the 15 and have 9 of the 15 in my collection...would be willing to do some sample trades if anyone is interested.

As stated before...bourbon is like cigars...very subjective to the person doing the drinking. I've had many that are not on that list but that I feel absolutely should be and I've had $50 pours at bourbon bars that I wouldn't pay $15 for had I tried them before.  

I, like the esteemed Mr. DePasta am partial to Kentucky bourbon. Not sure what the objective of the list is except to create conversation which is fine. It's all about the opinions. I have had or still have 9 of them on the list. Not sure I want to spend money on the aged at sea thingy.

I will say I believe the pappy 20 is better than 23. Not on the list are Elmer T Lee and Col E. H. Taylor single barrel, at least my$.02.

The Jefferson's aged at sea is hit or miss. I've seen bottles for $75, which is a good price for what you see these for normally. Depending on the Voyage, it's worth the pickup. Voyage 3 - No, Voyage 2 - Must Have, Voyage 4 - I don't know yet.

BigJake6904 said:
The Jefferson's aged at sea is hit or miss. I've seen bottles for $75, which is a good price for what you see these for normally. Depending on the Voyage, it's worth the pickup. Voyage 3 - No, Voyage 2 - Must Have, Voyage 4 - I don't know yet.
I like the Jefferson's reserve and am interested in the process of sloshing around in a barrel for a period of time.  To me it makes sense that the sloshing and increased movement of the liquid is an aid in imparting flavor and aging.  Is it your opinion that the fact it is in the hold of a ship adds something to the flavor or the simple act of liquid movement creates the advantage?  It is probably a pretty efficient method of constant movement rather than a barrel roller or some other method requiring direct energy input for a period of months.  Kudos to the distiller for trying something different. 

Isn't it said that over 50% of the flavor of Whiskey comes from the barrel and the other half from the mashbill?...the environmental conditions around the barrel have a profound impact on the taste...such as temperature, humidity, exposure to light, whether moving or stagnant, the type of char on the barrel, etc.? My thought is that every voyage is very different whether it be the height of the waves that could affect the sloshing in the barrel, the parts of the world the boats traveled and the times of the year they were there as well as the temperature and humidity within the boats. Those are all dependent variables and the only control variable is that it's being aged on a boat. 

It's a really cool concept but the execution is hit and miss....also a pet peeve of mine is that they don't label the bottles as to what voyage it is...and I find it ridiculous that they don't with a production that is so inconsistent.  

Bayamos said:
Woodford Reserve , Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig,Booker's are a few of my “go to's” and with a $30.00 plus price you can’t really complain to much.

Woodford Reserve is the bourbon I started with when I expanded out from Scotch, and the only one I drank for quite a while.  Knob Creek is still one of my absolute favorites---it's got a sort of fruity spiciness that I really enjoy.

One that I keep around a lot that's not likely to make any bucket lists is 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.  A friend of mine once compared it to a prom date's first kiss.  I wouldn't go that far, but at $20 a bottle, it's smooth and easy drinking with just the right amount of corn sweetness for my palate.

~Boar

I am just starting in the bourbon arena.   My first bottle was Eagle Rare.  I really enjoyed it.   Second bottle which is about 1/2 gone is Basil.   It is good, but I liked the eagle rare better.   I will have to try one of the ones on the list for my next tasting.   

cookie_1978 said:
I am just starting in the bourbon arena.   My first bottle was Eagle Rare.  I really enjoyed it.   Second bottle which is about 1/2 gone is Basil.   It is good, but I liked the eagle rare better.   I will have to try one of the ones on the list for my next tasting.   

Eagle Rare...I'm assuming the 10yo, is a bottle everyone should keep around. It's my "House Whiskey" for when people come over...can't go wrong. 

Surprisingly, I've also come to really really enjoy Makers 46.

As I, like DePasta, have Kentucky connection, I have to weigh in on this one.  I saw the article and thought they did a pretty good job in putting together a list.  Some of these are absolute no-brainers. 

Pappy, Black Maple Hill, Stagg, Hirsch.  Those all should be on a bourbon bucket list. 

Willett, Jefferson's, Noah's Mill, Four Roses.  Those can all come or go from the list in my opinion.  Willett is nothing special unless you get a deeper aged Family Estate.  Jefferson's (even the Ocean) is just not a recipe that appeals to me at all...and those regular Jefferson's bottles seem to be on sale all the time.  Noah's Mill is fine but not nearly remarkable enough to be on a bucket list.  And Four Roses is good but not as good as so many others in its price range.

I have to agree with every compliment given to Weller 12 year.  That stuff is fantastic for the price.  I also agree with the compliments on Larceny which is a strong offering from the usually 'keep the bottle hidden in the brown paper bag' Heaven Hill portfolio.  Blanton's and Booker's are just plain good. 

I have a personal bias against Widow Jane...long story but I can't go for that one.  Hudson Bay just didn't grab me.

Golfgar is dead on correct that Elmer T. Lee needs to be on this list.  The mellowness of that bourbon is second to none.  Breckenridge Bourbon is an interesting Colorado change of pace.  If you are looking for a cocktail on the bucket list you have to include Knob Creek.  And, finally, Maker's 46 is a good step up from the standard and works well if you a liberally pouring at parties.

I'm going to join Stu and Golfgar in regards to Elmer T. Lee. For me, It's the smoothest I've tried, and among the tastiest. Stu is responsible for getting me to try it, and he was spot on.

I, like my bourbon brother have 13 of these on the shelf (although it may be down to 12 by the end of tonight) and have no problems with any except the Ocean which is pure marketing BS. Old Forester is pretty much the house brand here as there is always a handle of it in the house.  Given the choice I'd take 2 Pappy 15's over just one 20, The Hudson is something to try but it is $40 for a half bottle - a bit on the high side. I like Baker's more than Booker's but you really can't go wrong with either - the same with the Blanton's  The Hirsch you won't find unless you make me a killer offer and the one pictured isn't the best either, that would be the blue wax one IMO.  I do have an extra 20 yo one if someone hit the lotto. Of course, what can you say about Stagg although this year's batch slipped a bit I thought which means it went form DAMN! to just exceptional.

Now they need to make the list with Rye as there are some outstanding ones being made or at least sourced from LDI lately..

The best "bourbon" I have ever had is Blanton's.  I hate to admit it, but the only other "bourbon" I have had on that list was Booker's.  Some of those I have seen around, and some of those I have never heard of.  One "bourbon" I think should be mentioned more is Basil Hayden's.  It seems like every time I talk about "bourbons" with locals, Basil Hayden's comes up very quick.

*The reason I say "bourbon" is because I know "all bourbon is a whiskey, but not all whiskey is a bourbon", and I do not want to say anything incorrectly.  Most of my drinks are Jim beam, and a dash of 7-Up TEN.