• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying a Car in Switzerland

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
Last weekend I went out to look at, and hopefully buy, a car for the family. We have been carless since we moved over here. I had a GMC Sierra in the US, but it simply doesn't fit in Switzerland. The car buying experience is something quite different here.

I had been looking online at cars on an autotrader type equivalent. I wanted a diesel with navigation and bluetooth. I found an AMAG dealership that had multiple cars that fit the description and set off to check them out. Unlike in the US where salespeople tend to quickly come and start talking to you once you arrive, you could wander a round a Swiss lot for hours without ever hearing more than hello from the sales staff. So, I walk intot he office and ask if someone can help in English. They then point me to the English speaking sales guy. He then ask what kind of car I'm looking for and we put the information into the same search I'd been using at home and I pick a few that I'd like to look at a little closer.

Once I had chosen the cars I liked, he tells me that he will get the keys so I can have a closer look. This is where I assumed the sale would be starting, but no he hands me three sets of keys, shows me the general area that the cars are parked in, and let me go on my way to inspect them however I see fit. I then narrow down the choice to two cars.

I go back into the office and tell him I've narrowed it down and would like to test drive them. He suggest I not think about one of the cars because it has ~50hp less than the other and would have a harder time through the Swiss mountains with a family inside. I remember the trouble my Corolla had in Utah at times and decided I didn't need a repeat of that. I decide to take the larger engine out for a spin. he puts the temp. plates on it, I sign something saying I'll pay some money if I crash it, and he gives me the keys and tells me to be back in 20-25 minutes. He also suggested the route I take because it has more mountain and hills while the highway is flat and boring. I really liked the car and decieded I was going to buy it.

I went back into the office and we started all the paperwork. Being Switzerland this isn't an afternoon process (The Swiss are kinda slow at moving paperwork along; however they generally do it right the first time). Basically, we simply agree I will buy it and he reserves it for me and I send him papers on Monday. I happily walk out to catch the numerous public transport connection on a 2 hour ride home. After I complete step one and am waiting for my train, the salesman calls me to inform me that I had forgotten to return the key to the car when I left the dealership. I apologised and said I'd bring it right back. he said to just keep it as I would need the key when I came to pick up the car next week. So I have the key to an Audi A4 that I haven't signed or put any money on yet. I doubt this would happen anywhere else in the world. Hopefully in the next two weeks I can have the car at my house.

Wow, that's 180* different. Thanks for sharing, James.
Best of everything with your new car!

I wish the whole process was like that here. Sounds like buying shoes. Go in, get fitted, see which ones you like best, and then make the purchase.

I always wondered how buying a car in Europe would happen. Thanks for sharing the enlightening experience.

That is just awful. I hate high pressure sales tactics.

2 weeks? Last car I bought took under 2 hours. Why so long?

What? They didn't sit you down in an office for some slickster to pull a numbers fast one on you with that damn four box shell game? What is this world coming to?

~Boar

Good for you, a pleasant experience adds years to your life. Second reason for being nice, there probably isn't a chop shop I all of Switzerland,despite what 007 says. Enjoy the good things life places on your plate.

2 weeks? Last car I bought took under 2 hours. Why so long?
The process is:
1) find the car you want (picked car on Saturday)
2) contact the bank for financing (Sent paperwork in on Monday, hope to hear back Wednesday)
3) work out insurance coverage and license plate (2-3 days, presumably after the bank)
4) Do the final inspection, clean out the car and such.

What really slows the process this week is the Easter holiday. Unlike the US the world stops for Holidays. So nothing except the shops in the train stations will be open on Friday or Monday, and everything is closed on Sundays. I'm fairly certain the Sunday closures are government mandated, not the choice of the business owners. It would probably be done by the weekend if it weren't for the holiday affecting the schedule.

I missed the relaxed pace of a lot of things in Europe. Yeah, sometimes it was a pain, but overall it was nice. Especially meals and not being rushed. And coffee. :)

Ahhhh, I miss Europe. Hopefully be back over there by the end of summer. Hopefully. We'll see...

But, don't be a pansy -- I survived four years in Germany with a lifted Dodge Ram 4x4. :D

Not going to lie, though, I often wished for a smaller vehicle when parking (and getting gas). Make sure you post photos of your new wheels!

Did you live on a base? I live in a small village outside Zurich. The village would actually be fine, but there is no where to park in town. That and the taxes would kill me since it is based on engine size and fuel efficiency. I'll post pictures when i pick it up. Set a pick up time of 9 Am Saturday the 2nd of April. We are then driving to Legoland, I think.

So is the sticker price, the end all price or is there a back and forth process as well?

I really don't know. I hate the whole negotiation thing. If I don't like to sticker price I keep looking for something I like. I probably loose money that way, but I'd rather not get annoyed with people.

Did you live on a base? I live in a small village outside Zurich. The village would actually be fine, but there is no where to park in town. That and the taxes would kill me since it is based on engine size and fuel efficiency. I'll post pictures when i pick it up. Set a pick up time of 9 Am Saturday the 2nd of April. We are then driving to Legoland, I think.

No, I lived in a little village about 20 km NW of Ramstein proper. Our stock (at the time) Jeep Wrangler couldn't fit in the little one car garage, nevermind my truck... I'll be honest, there were times I just chose not to go out or downtown because I simply didn't want to deal with parking, but for the most part it wasn't too bad, as long as I wasn't in a city (forget parking garages). I resigned myself to possibly having to walk a little farther when I went places since even disabled parking was usually of no better benefit in a vehicle that size. I drove it all over Germany, into Belgium, France, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg -- only times I ran into issues was in cities. You should have seen the look on the valet's face in Rothenburg when he saw what I gave him the keys to... :p If we go back to Europe, I plan on bringing it with me again.

No, I lived in a little village about 20 km NW of Ramstein proper. Our stock (at the time) Jeep Wrangler couldn't fit in the little one car garage, nevermind my truck... I'll be honest, there were times I just chose not to go out or downtown because I simply didn't want to deal with parking, but for the most part it wasn't too bad, as long as I wasn't in a city (forget parking garages). I resigned myself to possibly having to walk a little farther when I went places since even disabled parking was usually of no better benefit in a vehicle that size. I drove it all over Germany, into Belgium, France, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg -- only times I ran into issues was in cities. You should have seen the look on the valet's face in Rothenburg when he saw what I gave him the keys to... :p If we go back to Europe, I plan on bringing it with me again.

4 inch lift and 35's? LOL.

I picked the car up yesterday. We went to Germany but just across the border to buy some groceries. A kilo of chicken in Der Schweiz is about 20 buck and 8 in Deutschland. So here is a picture of the car, to shatter all the awesome and sporty ideas of Audi you might have. I've also added the building superintendant's car should we ever have an attack by anyone. That is a 106mm anti-tank gun mounted on the back of his jeep.

IMG_1485_zps6siqwbe7.jpg
IMG_1486_zpsssgdqd3q.jpg