• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying a Car in Switzerland

So is the sticker price, the end all price or is there a back and forth process as well?
A friend of mine is in sales, thus a professional negotiator, and got about 500 off his brand new car. The Swiss don't seem to like the back and forth.

IMG_1485_zps6siqwbe7.jpg

My morning commutes would never be the same. :)

Maybe mount a stand platform on the back and chain some Mad Max type in a gimp mask back there . . . :eek:

The Audi's nice too. ;)

~Boar

My morning commutes would never be the same. :)

Maybe mount a stand platform on the back and chain some Mad Max type in a gimp mask back there . . . :eek:

The Audi's nice too. ;)

~Boar

Gimp is the hood ornament. Need a hottie on the cannon.

Well heck, if a 106 on a jeep makes this thread, so will my tale.

We landed in Rome the morning of 9/11/2001. Enough said about that. Had a 26 day European bus tour starting Rome, ending Frankfort. Had a three day stop in Zermatt which is a great place, except.... no cars allowed. You get off the bus and are picked up by a horse drawn cart.

I honestly don't know how any of you stationed there would get into Zermatt, but if seeing the Matterhorn is on your bucket list you will have to go to Zermatt. As far as things being closed, even the bank was closed for lunch, 1.5 hours.

Last edited:
Well heck, if a 106 on a jeep makes this thread, so will my tale.

We landed in Rome the morning of 9/11/2001. Enough said about that. Had a 26 day European bus tour starting Rome, ending Frankfort. Had a three day stop in Zermatt which is a great place, except.... no cars allowed. You get off the bus and are picked up by a horse drawn cart.

I honestly don't know how any of you stationed there would get into Zermatt, but if seeing the Matterhorn is on your bucket list you will have to go to Zermatt. As far as things being closed, even the bank was closed for lunch, 1.5 hours.

Well, that's because it's Switzerland -- a bank with a country built around it...

The traffic camera laws are horrendous in Switzerland. Just as I type this I got a ticket from Avis from my time in Switzerland a month ago for speeding. Apparently I was going 6km/hr over the limit. 6! 220zrh for that mistake. I have no idea how to pay the fine or send money in either. Any advice?

If your back in the US, I'd ignore it. The ones I received had a pink payment slip in them with the IBAN and message code to use to pay it. Easy with a European account. Not sure how this do it from the US, though.

Apparently I was going 6km/hr over the limit. 6! 220zrh for that mistake
Well, they could refuse a car rental is you ever returned. EU member countries will cooperate to add points to a license. USA does not have that agreement with the EU. If you are inclined to pay it, I would assume that they've provided evidence. Or did they not?

They sent me a ticket. I have no issue paying it, but there doesnt appear to be a way to pay it online, and with a wire transfer I wont get any receipt.

It might just be a notice and the actual "bill" will come later. I've had that happen, too.

I got a ticket a week ago, at least I got the camera flash. I haven't received the ticket itself just yet. Holmes is right about getting an orange "pay in" slip that should have all the banking information to pay in Europe. We could potentially work something out via PM, if you want to pay it.

I know in the US the rental car company will pay the ticket and charge your card for it. Can you ask them about doing it?

I know in the US the rental car company will pay the ticket and charge your card for it. Can you ask them about doing it?
Avis in its letter specially stated I will need to take it up with the police and they are just charging me 50francs just to process paperwork. In the past I know they pay a lot of tickets but now I guess it's better for them to allow it to be passed onto the driver.

Yeah, sounds like you got the notice and the fine will find it's way to you later. I had to pay the processing fee, too, on mine.