• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Exchange Protocol

Ginseng

Banned
When I first arrived at CigarPass, I was befriended by a senior member who made it clear to me that it was OK to ask him about any aspect of cigars or customs of the community. One of the first things on which I sought his guidance was the issue of cigar exchange protocol. This subject seems particularly relevant now in light of the recent issues with a member who seems to have abused the trust of this community by violating ethical standards.

And so, I offer up this handy guide. Let me be clear that this is not something I constructed. Rather, I extracted this from his PM and before I posted this, I previewed this post for him and he concurred that it captured his thoughts on the matter. Also, understand that this should not be construed as "the Word" on the subject. I think that it does capture the customs of this board but as with all human discourse on matters of values, it should be subject to scrutiny with the intent of affirming its goodness or amending that which is no longer relevant.

However, I will claim responsibility for making this conception of the ethics of cigar exchange explicit so that those who are new to our community can gain a clearer understanding of one of the central pillars of life here. Perhaps it's due to my background in education, but I do not believe that all learning can or should occur through unspoken, non-interactive observation. That we are clear so that we may be precise about what we wish newcomers to comprehend seems to be both logical and efficient especially in light of such a rapidly growing membership. In a word, "read more and type less" is a course of action that becomes progressively less feasible and less reasonable as the sheer volume of conversations in this forum increases.

So, here it is. I hope that all will free to share their thoughts and ideas on this. This is in fact my intent in posting.

CigarExchangeProtocol.jpg

Comments:
The selling of gifted cigars is the only unequivocally forbidden action.

The trading or gifting away of gifted cigars is generally considered inoffensive, except perhaps in special cases where a) the cigar is particularly rare, expensive or otherwise significant or b) there is an expectation that the cigar will be smoked and the experience shared.

Wilkey

Great post. I was actually about to post this question but couldn't think of the best way to word it without sounding like an ass. :)

It is kind of common sense and kind of the answer I expected, but it's nice to have it out there in explicit terms.

Thanks Wilkey!

:thumbs:

wilkey, thanks for the info, some obvious, some not so obvious.

Thanks Professor Wilkey :D for taking the time to summarize the wise thoughts and carefully explain this ever so simple yet important ethical BOTL protocol.

With that said I have to admit I am one drunken bugger :p and went straight for the easy to understand diagram (as I believe many of Asshats will) and I CLEARLY understood the whole picture provided.

Now let this be a clear and simple reminder to ALL that this is basically very simple (and morally quite simple & logical) rule to adhere to, although something tells me that in no time we will have to refer to this yet again. :whistling:

Ahh the humanity of it all! :rolleyes:

neat and concise, thank you sir, i also went straight to the visual aid. nothing to argue with here. :cool:

ML237 said:
Thanks Professor Wilkey :D for taking the time to summarize the wise thoughts and carefully explain this ever so simple yet important ethical BOTL protocol.

With that said I have to admit I am one drunken bugger :p and went straight for the easy to understand diagram (as I believe many of Asshats will) and I CLEARLY understood the whole picture provided.

Now let this be a clear and simple reminder to ALL that this is basically very simple (and morally quite simple & logical) rule to adhere to, although something tells me that in no time we will have to refer to this yet again. :whistling:

Ahh the humanity of it all! :rolleyes:
[snapback]300450[/snapback]​

I agree with your "something tells me" I am also thinking that the people who come here and already had that chart/diagram in their minds eye and understood it are the ones who "Get it"

Nice post Milan, even with you being drunk lol

good post Wilkey.

professor Wilkey is useing charts now lol.

Wow, you are stating the obvious. Who would sell a gift of any kind? I really hope the actions of some on this board is a result of age or rather a lack of life experiences.

wasy said:
Wow, you are stating the obvious. Who would sell a gift of any kind? I really hope the actions of some on this board is a result of age or rather a lack of life experiences.
[snapback]300533[/snapback]​

Obvious to whom? Under what conditions? In what setting?

In posting this, I'm basically saying that for some, joining an online cigar community may not be like becoming a part of anything else that they're familiar with. The disorientation and lack of familiarity along with having to process a new set of behavioral standards can easily render "the obvious" not so obvious. At least until they have reason to examine and reflect on these things. We would like for this to become the obvious at some point in their stay here.

Wilkey

PS. Milan, an admirable post, especially for one as drunk as you are :p

Very good Wilkey.... It's a shame that this has to be posted but some people are jus too stupid to understand.....

Hey Rod !!!!!....... this should be pinned

Ginseng don't get me wrong, that is a great and informative post that was necessary giving the goings on of late. I just assumed (incorrectly) that no one would sell a gift under any condition or circumstance.

wasy said:
Ginseng don't get me wrong, that is a great and informative post that was necessary giving the goings on of late. I just assumed (incorrectly) that no one would sell a gift under any condition or circumstance.
[snapback]300555[/snapback]​

Sadly, this post has been, and will be, needed more and more. Let's hope it will become a vital part of the READ MORE, post less part of being a newbie here.

Great job Wilkey! :thumbs:

Here's my quick and easy guide to some CP posters. Part 2 to come soon:

cp21dj.jpg

cp21dj.jpg

:D :D :D

Damn, Zee. You are coming up with some funny-ass stuff these days...your little one must be letting you get some sleep. ;)

Wilkey

cp21dj.jpg

:D :D :D

Damn, Zee. You are coming up with some funny-ass stuff these days...your little one must be letting you get some sleep. ;)

Wilkey

I couldn't resist. I saw your chart and I just thought to myself "Wilkey" :D I tried to follow your colors and formatting just to keep it on the up and up.