• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarpass Book Thread

I really enjoyed "Ready Player One" by Ernst Cline. Lots of references to mid and late 80s pop Culture and a easy entertaining read.

My wife has been telling me to read this book for a while now. I think this one is up next for me.

The Silo Series (Wool, Shift & Dust) - Hugh Howey
http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-...F8&qid=1461332446&sr=1-1&keywords=silo+series
Post Apocalyptic. This is similar to the "Divergent" series, in that society has been reduced to it's simplest form. Different groups of people working together within their skill set to make a civilization. The society lives in a giant underground silo. Of course, someone is not content with living underground and has to know more. If you enjoyed Divergent or Hunger Games then I suspect you will enjoy this series.

THIS! I had the chance to meet Hugh Howey at a convention in NYC two years ago. He's just a fantastic stand-up guy. It never ceases to amaze me how much that can have an impact on me purchasing someone's books. But in this case, both he and his books are worthy of note!

Not at all. Whatever appeals to you. I grew up reading the classics (at a young age Dumas was my favorite), but had a steady diet of pulp fiction, Robert E Howard, Burroughs, etc. Regardless of what I've read, those are my all time favorites for the pure escapism and imagery they provided. I reread Burroughs Mars series a few years ago when the John Carter Movie came out.

ETA: Those books you listed look like a lot of fun. Looking to buy some now.
Oh, I have to mix in light reading. I love graphic novels. Terry Pratchett has done four graphic novels, collaborated with Neil Gaiman, wrote the goofy and entertaining Disc World novels. He was unfortunately just diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's.

Currently readin "Stocism and the Art of Happiness" by Donald Robertson
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/14441...+happiness&dpPl=1&dpID=51GlQV-GsML&ref=plSrch

As I wander the globe I have plenty of personal time and often try to pay attention to subject patterns in life. That may pop up in Facebook, an email or personal interactions. Usually if I notice a subject three times I search out a book on it. Stoicism has done just that so I grabbed this book and am about half way through it.
So far is a particular view on living your life and an enjoyable read.

Next up possibly another book on Stoicism or finish the Isis Covenant by James Douglas.

If you opt for another book on Stoicism, may I suggest Epictetus? Sharon Labell's The Art of Living (link) is the best modern take I've found. His original Enchiridion and Discourses are fundamental Stoic texts.

I'm rereading Victor Davis Hanson's Carnage and Culture. The book is almost a direct refutation to Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel and that book's assertion that Western military success is largely an accident of geography. Hanson argues that Western culture has been the deciding martial factor since ancient Greece. He makes his case well; the fact that his prose is more approachable and captivating than Diamond is just icing on the cake.

If you opt for another book on Stoicism, may I suggest Epictetus? Sharon Labell's The Art of Living (link) is the best modern take I've found. His original Enchiridion and Discourses are fundamental Stoic texts.

I'm rereading Victor Davis Hanson's Carnage and Culture. The book is almost a direct refutation to Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel and that book's assertion that Western military success is largely an accident of geography. Hanson argues that Western culture has been the deciding martial factor since ancient Greece. He makes his case well; the fact that his prose is more approachable and captivating than Diamond is just icing on the cake.

I have those somewhere in the cue... Thanks

My wife has been telling me to read this book for a while now. I think this one is up next for me.
This is a great book. Armada is a decent read as well.

The magicians by les grossman if you liked Harry Potter :)

If the sci-if tv series is any indication, this ought to be a great read. I keep thinking of getting it.

Brickhouse turned me on to Jack Whyte and his historical novels. He does a great job of imagining the daily life that falls between the historically known events.

Leon Uris covers many of the tragic events of the twentieth century, again placing his characters in the history among the actual persons.

Although written for pre-teens, Hatchet by Gary Paulson is a riveting story of the human will to survive.

Ender's Game, and Speaker for the dead should be must reads. Ender's Shadow is also compelling, telling the same story as Game, but from a different character's perspective.

Ender's Game, and Speaker for the dead should be must reads
Great books! I went on an Orson Scott Card kick, years ago. Love his "style". I remember thoroughly enjoying his "Alvin the Maker" series, as well. I even have some books written under his various pseudonyms.

Great books! I went on an Orson Scott Card kick, years ago. Love his "style". I remember thoroughly enjoying his "Alvin the Maker" series, as well. I even have some books written under his various pseudonyms.
I just finished Gatefather by Card. It was very interesting thematically, as most of his books are. I enjoyed Ender's Game when my brother turned me on to Card shortly after he wrote it and then read Speaker for the Dead. I thought the sequel(Speaker) was better. Really one story as the sequel explains much.

The Daniel Silva books are good.

Love the character Gabriel Allon.
Restores paintings, and saves the world while the paint dries. ;)

If you're in to military themed fiction, the books co-authored by Richard Marcinko are highly entertaining testosterone filled chest beating roller coasters of kill people and break things.

For the ancient aliens geeks, Zechariah Sitchin's books are thought provoking. Also, Erich von Danniken's are excellent reads.

Another great pairing is Stephen King's The Stand and his Dark Tower series as there is a bit of character crossover. The Dark Tower ultimately pissed me off, but it was a fascinating alternate universe.

I will say this my favorite all time author is Frederick Forsythe. I have yet to find an author that remotely comes close him. Any of his early books will blow you away.

I went away to school and would lend my collection out on the premis that you would have to finish the last 30 pages in my presence. Countless times the fellow would stand up drop the book or just sit there in absolute amazement on how the book would end.

Check him out.

I will also add George Orwells, 1984 or Animal Farm. Everyone always says "Yea I read them in highschool, etc etc" go back and read them as an adult. Mind blown.

I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the first time. I don't know why I'm just now getting to it, since I recall enjoying Brave New World so much when I was in college.

Great topic, btw. I have a tough time choosing fiction - looks like some good ideas here.

Bobby

I just finished Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, it's a sci-fi about time travel. I enjoyed 11/22/63 by King, another time travel book also.

I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the first time. I don't know why I'm just now getting to it, since I recall enjoying Brave New World so much when I was in college.

Great topic, btw. I have a tough time choosing fiction - looks like some good ideas here.

Bobby
I remember after the Patriot Act was passed there were many people noting that 1984 was supposed to be a cautionary tale NOT an instruction manual! That was the moment it finally sunk in how important literacy is and how relatively illiterate the general public had to be not to know about or understand the relevance of that warning. I later learned the author was a Fabian and was privy to incrementalism as a result. So this warning was probably not just a lucky guess. ;)

I am a slow reader, but apparently I really enjoy "Ready Player One" since I started at 2pm Sunday and I only have 80 pages left... AWESOME AWESOME book