• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
Size:Length: 4 1/4"
Ring Gauge: 39 (110mm x 15.87mm)
Factory Shape: Secretos
Appearance: 8 (a very toothy, very dark wrapper)
Construction: 10 (typical perfectly rolled Cohiba)
Flavor: 10
Value: 8 (very expensive for this sized cigar)
Experience: 10

The wrappers have been aged for 5 years before rolling. These have been in my humidor since 2008. I smoked one the day they arrived and didn't think too much of it. I tucked them away until last year when I stumbled on them looking around the humidor. I was pleased with how it had matured. The draw was flawless and the flavor second to none.

Fast forward to last Saturday. A couple of the guys at the local B&M were discussing the Secretos and the comments weren't complimentary. I added my two cents regarding the benefit of aging these gems. The primary complaint was the draw. This was similar to my observation when I had my first one.

Yesterday, while watching the Daytona Shootout I decided I should try another one to see if it was consistent with my last one a year ago. Simply put this is the best tasting cigar I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. A great draw and very robust. I think the flavor profile of cigars is very subjective and everyone has their preference. For me it's chocolate and coffee and this stick abounds with those notes.

I recently parted with five of them, but I still have plenty left for now. I need to get another box to set aside. If you get the chance and have the patience to let them age, I recommend this gem as part of your special occasion stash.

secretos3.jpg

secretos2.jpg

secretos1.jpg

My wife got me a box of these last year for my birthday. Of course, I had to break into it and smoke one immediately (to make both of us happy). I couldn't tell her after she spent so much money, but I was thoroughly unimpressed. It was absolutely the tightest draw I've ever experienced. The flavor was so-so, but the headache-inducing draw was a killer. I gave a few away (everyone loves a Cohiba gift, right?), and save for one other smoke, I believe, the rest have been in the box in the frigidore ever since. I tried one last week, I think it was, and it was an entirely different experience. The draw still wasn't spectacular, but it had loosened up significantly, and the flavor was like a bomb compared to the previous experience. I'm not planning on touching them again for a while, so I can't wait to see what another few months (and then a few months more, etc...) does for them.

Glad to hear you are having positive experiences with some age.

My wife got me a box of these last year for my birthday. Of course, I had to break into it and smoke one immediately (to make both of us happy). I couldn't tell her after she spent so much money, but I was thoroughly unimpressed. It was absolutely the tightest draw I've ever experienced. The flavor was so-so, but the headache-inducing draw was a killer. I gave a few away (everyone loves a Cohiba gift, right?), and save for one other smoke, I believe, the rest have been in the box in the frigidore ever since. I tried one last week, I think it was, and it was an entirely different experience. The draw still wasn't spectacular, but it had loosened up significantly, and the flavor was like a bomb compared to the previous experience. I'm not planning on touching them again for a while, so I can't wait to see what another few months (and then a few months more, etc...) does for them.

This has been my experience too, so perhaps I need to let mine age a bit more. Though I think the few I have left are from 2008... I'll have to try this spring and see if the draw has loosened any.

I totaly agree, you have to let those babies sleep for a quite a while, and only then can you truly enjoy what they have to offer. They are worth the wait.

I have a box of Sancho's that I've had for 12 years that are almost unsmokable, they are rolled so tight. It's like sucking a golf ball through 50 feet of garden hose. I have the room to store them so I clipped one and check the draw every year or two. I only hope to have the same result with the Sancho's as I did with these.

IIRC, the last one of the Secretos that I smoked, I actually used a jeweler's screwdriver to try and open it up a little inside. So, I guess that would make two smoked since I put the box away, since I recall one of them being un-poked, yet still having a better draw than right off the truck. You may want to try some sort of tool to try and loosen the insides a bit, or to put a shaft through the filler. Good luck with the Sanchos. I don't think I have the patience for 12 years of storage! :p

If the Sanchos haven't opened up after 12 years...I don't think they are ever going to open up. Sorry...

According to MRN the Sanchos should be coming in to their peak soon. :thumbs: