• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Conceal Carry

Bayamos

You reap what you sow...
In the market a for a new conceal carry. I think, I have narrowed it down to the Glock Gen 4, S&W MP40, BrettaPX4 Storm, or the H&K VP40. I have always shot a 1911 thus the 40 cal.’s listed. Stopped today and handled them all, next step is to run some rounds though all of them. My local indoor range (American Tactical Systems) lets you rent them, before purchasing a new one. I am leaning towards the H&K VP40 . Thoughts.

You need to shoot them, if possible. My buddy did best, by a pretty wide margin, with a CZ which wasn't even on his short list.

I've got the Glock 19 gen 4 and I really like it. I am on the heavier side (Fine I am fat) and it is harder for me to carry. I recently switched to a Ruger LCP Custom because I wanted to try Pocket carrying and I am really liking that as well but its small so its not for everyone. I totally agree that you should shoot it.

I carry a Glock 19 "Mexican Carry" or "Appendix in the Waistband" with a Sticky Holster.

I keep a spare 17 round mag in my front non dominant side pocket.

With a Sticky Holster or the Remora No Clip Holster, it disappears riding up front. You can draw discretely while seated. You can wear dockers and an oxford tucked in. You can wear it with snug fitting boxers or basketball shorts with a drawstring.

Also, in a pinch you could draw with your non dominant hand. Or if you were knocked backwards, you wouldn't land on it, and possibly suffer a spine or kidney injury.

As far as what you choose, be sure mags and holsters are widely available. H&K is notoriously expensive and it is hard to find things for them.

I've got the Glock 19 gen 4 and I really like it. I am on the heavier side (Fine I am fat) and it is harder for me to carry. I recently switched to a Ruger LCP Custom because I wanted to try Pocket carrying and I am really liking that as well but its small so its not for everyone. I totally agree that you should shoot it.
I carry the Ruger LCR for the same reasons. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. I shoot it a lot and feel comfortable with it.

I carry a Glock 19 "Mexican Carry" or "Appendix in the Waistband" with a Sticky Holster.

I keep a spare 17 round mag in my front non dominant side pocket.

With a Sticky Holster or the Remora No Clip Holster, it disappears riding up front. You can draw discretely while seated. You can wear dockers and an oxford tucked in. You can wear it with snug fitting boxers or basketball shorts with a drawstring.

Also, in a pinch you could draw with your non dominant hand. Or if you were knocked backwards, you wouldn't land on it, and possibly suffer a spine or kidney injury.

As far as what you choose, be sure mags and holsters are widely available. H&K is notoriously expensive and it is hard to find things for them.

I am not sure if I want find to many things for the H&K that its stock setup doesn’t offer. The grip and trigger feels right. I would only change out the back strap and update to night vision sights. I would like to however install the Viridian Green Laser with Light but and I believe Viridian offer a custom holster, keeping in mind that I want to conceal carry.

If you're a 1911 guy looking for a full size carry pistol with good capacity, check out the CZ75 SP01. Conceals fine with a good holster and the trigger and accuracy is going to be more towards 1911 territory than some of the alternatives.

It will start a huge debate but, given quality modern defensive loads (speer gold dot or Federal HST), I like 9mm over . 40cal. Also pick up a few extra rounds in the same size package. Like Dan said though, your going to have shoot them 1st and see what you like. I would also suggest some compact models, slightly more comfortable to carry.

Going with Smith or Glock will give you the best selection of aftermarket parts and accessories. Holsters are a whole different obsession but my favorite is my compact MTAC, a little more than some other offerings, but it's the best balance of comfort and price that I have found.

I didn't want to open up that can of worms but hell, I agree with Breedy regarding the effectiveness and consistency of modern high quality 9mm JHPs like Gold Dots and HSTs. Easier to keep tighter groups with a 9mm if you're shooting fast, they expand out almost as big as a JHP .40 would, you'll probably have an extra 3 or 4 rounds of capacity, and shot placement is the name of the game anyway. The MTAC is a pretty popular one even for folks with drawers full. Its my favorite also.

For me personally, I would go with a officer or commander 1911 if you are used to the 1911 platform. If you are looking for something different, I don't see any added advantage of a .40S&W over a 9mm or .45 ACP. Any added benefit for the size of the round is lost on me with the added felt recoil on the .40 compared to the other 2 rounds. Though if you're dead set on a gun from your list, the VP40 is a great gun. However, additional magazines for any H&K are expensive compared to the other guns you listed. Being in California, I do not have the luxury of being able to conceal carry :(. Given the opportunity, my choice would be either a tune commander 1911 or a Glock 19 with speer gold dots, despite their fugliness. That way, if I ever had to use it I wouldn't have to worry about one of my nice guns being locked away and finger fu**ed by a bunch of cops :D:eek:.

I am not sure if I want find to many things for the H&K that its stock setup doesn’t offer. The grip and trigger feels right. I would only change out the back strap and update to night vision sights. I would like to however install the Viridian Green Laser with Light but and I believe Viridian offer a custom holster, keeping in mind that I want to conceal carry.

You're gonna want spare magazines. That is my biggest reason for having Glocks.

Personally, I think a laser is overkill on a concealed carry pistol. If you're engaging at a distance that you need a laser, you have room to get out of there.

Save the money you'd spend on a laser and use it to take some training courses. There's really nothing more exciting than getting to draw from a holster, explode off the X, and engage multiple targets. Once you run and gun, a public target range will bore you to tears.

Never get into a gun fight with anything that doesn't say .45

Doc

I have to agree with Doc on this one. When I lived in Washington I had a conceal carry permit and only carried a 1911 in .45, never had any trouble concealing it or discomfort from the gun when sitting down. Magazines are plenty and almost always available. Most are very reliable right out of the box, but once you have a decent smith go through the gun, other than replacing recoil springs and routine maintenance I've never had any reason reasons to worry or issues with any of mine.

I'd steer clear of the Viridian Green Laser with Light for a conceal carry gun or any mounted laser/light. Adding them makes the gun difficult to find a holster that fits comfortably and allows you to still conceal it. Better off buying a flashlight and if you're dead set on a laser getting a crimson trace laser that is built into the grip so that when the laser is turned on it activates when your hand is on the grip. I took the laser off the one gun I have that came with it. My thought was I'd rather not practice with it and become dependent on something that could fail (batteries die, laser get knocked out of alignment, etc...) and become proficient with the stock sights or night sights.

Never get into a gun fight with anything that doesn't say .45

Doc

Good thing 4+5 = 9mm. :D

Putting the bullet where you want trumps diameter arguments. I don't want a BB to the face, anything larger is more than adequate.

Any of you Saturday nite cowboys ever fire a shot in anger? Just wondering.

Doc

Good thing 4+5 = 9mm. :D

Putting the bullet where you want trumps diameter arguments. I don't want a BB to the face, anything larger is more than adequate.
See, that's where you're wrong. I hit you in the thumb with a 9mm; you're going to keep coming. I hit you in the thumb with my .45; you're going to fall down. Now obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Doc

Never shot in anger and never will. That was my promise to myself when I got my CCW.. Either you can co tell yourself or you can't carry IMO. Never shot at someone out or need either if that's what you were asking. Here's to hoping I will never have to.

I think a 9mm is plenty just aim for chest and not thumbs

See, that's where you're wrong. I hit you in the thumb with a 9mm; you're going to keep coming. I hit you in the thumb with my .45; you're going to fall down. Now obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Doc

Just like cigars, everyone has a ring gauge preference. :p

I'm just glad you're carrying; matters not the caliber as long as you carry something.