• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Conceal Carry

Tidbit I've always found interesting, based on some classes I took, I learned a man can close 16-20' quicker than you can draw and aim. Think about that....

One of my best friends is a handgun instructor, and I have the luck of being his "star pupil" at most of his classes. Another words, I get to be the one that runs the drill first to give the noobs in the class a chance to see what he is asking them to do.

After class one afternoon, we were doing the "man with a knife drill". I would stand facing the target in a surrender pose (hands up like a football goal post) and he would stand behind me with one hand on my shoulder facing away. After I gave the ready command he would leave, at a random interval, in a full sprint away from my static position. When I felt the hand leave my should I was to clear leather and get a shot off onto the target. When he heard the shot ring out, he would drop a weighted object like a blue gun or magazine as a place marker. When I was clear and reholstered, I would turn around and we would measure the distance covered. That was the minimum distance you would want a knife wielding attacker to get. It was spooky how far it was. I think my first time it was about 18', of course this is knowing what's getting ready to happen.

So, then we got the great idea of making a contest out of it....gotta love competition. :)
Making a sport of it, we were able to get down to 14' for me and 13' for him. This was from an outside of the waistband holster and no garments concealing the pistol.

Add in concealment clothing and the reaction time of realizing the crazy guy with the knife is charging at you, and you might need upwards of 30'. If you have a hard time visualizing 20', most full size half ton trucks are right at 20' long.
This is also the reason why you don't want to freeze when the clock starts. You have to explode off the X, and put some distance between you and the bad guy. Standing still like an old west shootout or like at a public target range will get you hurt (or worse).

When the bad guy is at bad breath distances, it's best to have some hand to hand skills. Also, a fixed blade knife is very quick to present.

Ok, found it....at 24' Adam shot Jamie, but Jamie would have still stuck that knife deep in Adam's chest....

Two cent comment. The owner of my b/m is Dallas PD, my som-in-law in Dallas PD, and a great brother is a US Marshall.

We got into a round table discussion on open carry. The current word from the City attorney is, if you see someone walking with open carry, ignore them. Why? There is no probably cause to stop them, the other side is, if they received a call with a guy walking open, or a business owner with no signs posted then you have cause if he calls it in.

There are two rules that must be followed. You must carry on you hip or in a shoulder holster. You may not take your gun out to display it or do fancy twirling tricks. That would give probably cause. This is Dallas, I can't speak for the rest of the states.

Ok, found it....at 24' Adam shot Jamie, but Jamie would have still stuck that knife deep in Adam's chest....

Although it makes for good video the Mythbusters video only serves to illustrate the basic point of "reactionary gap". Training course can very a good amount in what they actually teach and I would highly recommend one that offers force on force scenarios.

Although it isn't a substitute for quality training, shooting IDPA or USPSA is a good way to improve your overall gun handling ability.

" The safety is on".........he was dead when I heard that.

Last edited:
I may be tad late on the subject but I just acquired a Springfield XD 4" chambered in .40SW

I've banged out about 100 rounds, my groups were tight it puts the lead right where you point it

Just picked up a HK VP 40. I just loved the pistol all together.
This really wasn't on my list, until I held it. Somethings you just know, It was just awesome to me.
The Glock 23 Gen 4 was the runner up. Maybe next time. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sig 229 in 357Sig, Federal HST

Nice choice. Proper Ammo selection trumps gun or caliber choice, IMO. BBS linked to some good articles earlier, but it bears repeating, make sure to choose a well vetted ammo. There are plenty of new "gimmicky" offerings out there, but the tried and true HST, Ranger T and Gold Dots are going to be your best bet.

Shopping for defensive ammo online is a good choice, as you can get 50 round boxes of any of the above for around ~$25 plus shipping. Order a couple of boxes to make sure they function with your gun.

Oh, I don't carry anything until it is WELL vetted... both gun and ammo. And that includes my own ballistic gel testing from my own gun/ammo combo, both bare and thru various clothing. :cool: And I wish I could get the ammo deals you guys do, but the shipping to AK kills ANY deal online. It's local buy or reload for me. But I loaded my own 357Sig stuff to mimic the HST's so I can practice without the cost. I save the actual stuff for carry. I do shoot it and cycle new rounds in every few months or so.

Here's a pretty good read

For all the negative rap Dallas and Texas gets for being gun nuts, it's been quiet as a church mouse here. TV hype has been going nuts trying to play on the fact, but there is nothing happening.

For all the negative rap Dallas and Texas gets for being gun nuts, it's been quiet as a church mouse here. TV hype has been going nuts trying to play on the fact, but there is nothing happening.
you mean it never turned into the wild wild west with shootouts on every corner? shocker... SHOCKER I say.

you mean it never turned into the wild wild west with shootouts on every corner? shocker... SHOCKER I say.

I've only seen 1 open carried pistol since the beginning of the year...

Got me a new EDC item. Haven't carried a flashlight in the last decade. Since AA mini maglights are out, I snagged this little rechargeable beast.

View media item 11639

in the realm of ammo selection...

Massive Ammo test @ Lucky Gunner

.38, 357Mag, 10mm and 357Sig are all coming in the next few months. but a really good read on the different ammo. I was a little surprised by a few of the results.

in the realm of ammo selection...

Massive Ammo test @ Lucky Gunner

.38, 357Mag, 10mm and 357Sig are all coming in the next few months. but a really good read on the different ammo. I was a little surprised by a few of the results.

It's almost paralysing trying to parse all of the info posted there.

I ended up ordering Black Hills 9mm +P loaded with the Barnes 115gr TAC-XP bullet.

I also have a couple mags loaded with the Federal HST 124gr.

there is a ton of info there, but if nothing else it does show that not all defense ammo acts the same! I am anxiously awaiting the new additions to the test, namely 10mm and 357Sig.I added a comment to their page that I'd like to see the muzzle energy for each round listed... there are some 357Sig rounds that deliver more than a 45ACP and so on. But in the end... if you can't hit your target, it makes no difference what caliber you are shooting.