Does this look right, or should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Cuban Cigar Forum' started by Pipe Smoker, May 22, 2011.

1. Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker New Member

My first box arrived today and I was a little concerned about the condition of the seal. I was hoping someone with a little more experience than me could look at the pictures and tell me if I should be concerned about the authenticity of the box. Its the first picture that concerns me the most. Looks like the seal was removed and reapplied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Backslide

Backslide RASCClicious

no big deal man! they removed the barcode.

3. NASTY

NASTY Cold Fire

I beg to differ. I think those are very likely to be some fakes. I'll do you the favor and inspect a couple of them for you. Addy in profile.

4. Backslide

Backslide RASCClicious

So in about 5-6 years you might be able to smoke one :whistling:

5. Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker New Member

Thanks for the insight guys.

6. Aussie Shaun

Aussie Shaun Just call me Grumps.

They are fakes for sure, send them to me and I will get rid of them for you ( in a series of small fires of coarse ) :laugh:

7. BobbyRitz

BobbyRitz You're Fired, Daddy.

Grey market vendors typically remove the barcode to protect their sources. Legitimate Habanos channels would be in a great deal of trouble if it was determined they were selling cigars to the grey market. But it happens.

8. Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker New Member

Ok, so how long do I have to wait to smoke them? They call my name every time I walked past the cooler.

9. Backslide

Backslide RASCClicious

doesn't hurt to try one and see if you like them fresh. I personally would let em sit for 4+ years before I opened it up. I don't really care for fresh Monte's outside of the no. 5's

10. The Master

The Master New Member

If you have a legit source then you never have to worry about discrepancies with packaging. or how the cigars look. Cuban quality control sucks so there will always be weird looking boxes, labels and the like. Now if you do not trust your source then all bets are off and you do have to worry about every little thing like a label being off.

11. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons all jogging into the fut

AMEN! :thumbs:

12. Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker New Member

But the question is how do you know your source is legit?

(That's obviously a rhetorical question...)

13. CrnrPokt

CrnrPokt New Member

[/quote]

But the question is how do you know your source is legit?

(That's obviously a rhetorical question...)
    [/quote]

Usually thats trial and error unless you do some homework on cigar forums. PM some of the brothers here to see if anyone will talk. Some will and some wont. Hope that helps

14. djkojione

djkojione New Member

Pls put me in line to test if they are fake.

15. The Master

The Master New Member

Once you develop some relationships there are plenty of guys who will share sources. If you come here and you post looking for sources in your first month or 2 then most will be wary of you.

16. ironpeddler

ironpeddler Ye Old Newbie

That's exactly how it's done!

Once you're here long enough and the members read what you post and like what they read over a decent period of time, you can politely ask a member via PM for additional information. Since you've only been here a short time, it's unlikely that anyone would divulge their sources for such a thing.

Without a reliable source, it's futile to attempt such a buy.

17. ggiese

ggiese Active Member

Those that "will" I'd be wary of. :whistling:

those that "won't" you want to get to know. :thumbs:

18. Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker New Member

Being impatient I opted for the trial and error approach - which prompted this thread. I read enough to know not to go to the extent of asking anyone to verify or suggest a source, but two brothers have very generously contacted me and confirmed my source. For that, and all of the help I have gotten here, I am very grateful.

19. indyrob

indyrob You smell like my sausage!

The best advice you'll ever get on the subject.