Guide: How to season your humidor

Discussion in 'Humidor Forum' started by Rod, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Rod

Rod Administrator Staff Member

Hope the newer members find this guide useful - I felt it was time we created something like this...

http://www.cigarpass.com/cigars-101/76-how-to-season-a-humidor.html

2. grateful1

grateful1 Oh My!

Very nice.

One thing I do when seasoning is to put a paper towel in the cup/shot glass.
    I fill it up to just over the saturation point of the towel.

If a tip=over occurs, it's limited.

3. dbanther22

dbanther22 New Member

Just my 2 cents here but read awhile back you could use a shot of your favorite liquer. Don't know of the long term outcome but it sounded interesting.

4. Rod

Seasoning a humidor with liquor is not something I'd recommend, never heard of doing this. Doing something like this would most likely cause your cigars to pick up the flavor of the liquor.

5. Gonnagal

Gonnagal New Member

I know a lot of people use the Boveda seasoning pack, or what I did was just fill a shot glass (or bowl) with distilled water and let it rest in there till I the RH regulated where I wanted it.

6. rectifythis

rectifythis CP; may cause dependency

Just an FYI for the nervous noob, my 1st 150 ct humi took 4 weeks to season. I almost ruined my sticks by putting them in prematurely and sucking the moisture out of them. The operative word is patience.

7. grateful1

grateful1 Oh My!

Top for a couple folks.

8. Golfanatic

Golfanatic The Biggest Newbie on CP

This is great! Thanks for the good tips. I have ruined one humidor and just ordered another one. I will do it the right way this time.

9. Rod

Time is on your side. Once you season your humidor properly, it will provide years of service. Keep it maintained properly and you'll never have to season it again. Good luck!

10. Golfanatic

Golfanatic The Biggest Newbie on CP

thanks Rod! I have really found some great info on here today. I have visited most threads and am thirsty for more knowledge.

11. Rod

Sounds good! You've come to the right place. As time permits, I will write up some more articles, but the forum provides a wealth of knowledge. I was by no means an expert when I first started (and still not), however almost everything I've learned has been from fellow members.

12. Fishin345

Fishin345 Member

Thanks for the great info just nought my first humidor. seasoning it right now cant wait till its done and start buying more sticks.

13. benedic08

benedic08 New Member

From experience, I dont recommend using a paper towel to wipe down the inside of the humidor. A paper towel can leave a paper trail on your humidor. What i use is a soft fragrance free sponge when wiping the inside of my humidor.

14. Goldie

Goldie Active Member

Definitely a great write up. I'll have my new humi. seasoned in no time

15. indianasharps

indianasharps Banned

I think the link is broken. Does anyone know the new link?

16. modo22

modo22 Well-Known Member

I second that. Rod, can you update the link?

Thanks

17. Rod

Link has been updated.

18. eups73

eups73 New Member

Awesome right up. Really informative. I wish I read this months ago.

19. J-Dramastically

J-Dramastically New Member

Thanks alot. Got on to ask about the cellophane and lo and behold you've answer it for me along with a great guide for seasoning.
    Thanks

20. Rbantz

Rbantz New Member

Excellent piece! My humi should be arriving tomorrow, and this article explained many of my questions. Thank you for taking the time to help us noobs out.