• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to Safely Ship Liquid Refreshment

jfields

Where did all my money go?
While getting the biggest bang for your buck..... IMO

I've probably shipped "liquid refreshment" seventy or so times to brothers here, and on other forums over the years. Some mistakes early on resulted in broken bottles. That, and some of the shipment methods used were quite expensive. Through trial and error I have found what seems to work really well while saving money. I've used this method close to forty times with no reports of broken bottles to date. Now while saying that, I would recommend you use the specialized shipment boxes specifically made for shipping that rare $400.00 bottle of Coca Cola.  ;)

Step One: Lay out your shipping supplies.... A free Flat Rate Priority Large box. A roll of perforated small bubble wrap. Packing tape.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11488]

Step Two: Take two sheets of two bubble wrap and lay one on top of the other in a way that lines the bottom and four sides for cushioning.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11489]

Step Three: Tear off two sheets of bubble wrap in one continuous length. Roll the bottle being sure to leave an even length at the top and bottom of each bottle. Tape the side once fully rolled, then close the ends  and tape to keep the bubble wrap in place. That last part is important to protect the cap and bottom from jarring impacts. This also works for 22 oz. and 750 ml corked and caged bottles. The top just has to be left exposed in order to properly cover the bottom. A third sheet of wrap will then have to be folded in half, and wrapped around the top to cushion these bottles properly.
Do this on eight 12oz. bottles per large flat rate box. 
Typically I can fit any combination five 22 oz./corked bottles, in addition to another two 12 oz bottles per large flat rate box.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11486]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11485]

Step Four: Place four wrapped bottles in the bottom of the box, then lay the other four bottles on top of the others with the bottom of the upper layer bottles lying over the caps of the bottles at the lower layer. You should have approximately a two inch gap of dead space at one end of the box once finished. This dead space can be filled with rolled up bubble wrap to keep the bottles secure during shipment, or see "Optional" below.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11484]

Step Five: Place one sheet of bubble wrap on top and then tape the lid shut being sure to use liberal amounts of tape top and bottom. If you use Click and Ship postage like I do, it'll cost you just over $15.00 to ship 2-3 day Priority Mail. Pretty reasonable considering this example package weighed just over ten pounds.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11476]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11475]

Optional: A Large Video Priority Mail Box can be modified to fill in the previously mentioned 2 inch void. This can be used to pack in a few hitchhikers if necessary.  :whistling:

Step one: Assemble the box leaving the lid open. Then using a sharp knife cut down the side of the box opposite of the adhesive lid (two inches). Do this on both ends.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11482]

Step Two: Fold the tabs on left and right in.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11481]

Step Three: Tear the outer perforated section of the non adhesive lid side off.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11480]

Step Four: Fold in the bottom and then wrap/fold the adhesive side over top. After placing contents inside, seal it shut, then place inside the void area. If packed correctly, it all should fit nice and snug without distorting either box. Note: This option will only work when just shipping 12 oz. bottles, and nothing larger in size.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11479]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11478]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11477]

I wish we could figure out where all the list packages go. That would be some party.

Thanks for putting this great information together.

Thanks John, great post! I use bubble wrap in the same manner but use newspaper on the bottom, sides and top. However, I do like your idea of using the video box.

Nice guide John! I'm going to pin this. 

Thanks for the tutorial John. I'll have to get involve in the Beer PIF and try it out.

thinde said:
Thanks for the tutorial John. I'll have to get involve in the Beer PIF and try it out.

The Beer PIF has a sweet bottle shipper with it that works great.

Paul
Great write up John thank you for sharing!

I'll try this with your beer John......hope it survives.

bfreebern said:
I'll try this with your beer John......hope it survives.
That was your beer in the tutorial. :laugh:
I mean soda.
Paul,
Just out of curiosity, how much was it to ship that bottle shipper box UPS from NH to VA?

I remember last time I had to ship one of those from east to west coast it was almost $90.00
Paul,
Just out of curiosity, how much was it to ship that bottle shipper box UPS from NH to VA?

I remember last time I had to ship one of those from east to west coast it was almost $90.00

Wait, I only see Bud Light Lime and some Straw-ber-itas.  What kind of trade we doing here?  I'll get yours packed up this week/weekend/first of next week, LOL.  Still digging out of the snow, but now we're in the mud season and trying to dry things out.

When I shipped the Beer PIF from Ok to NH, it was $65.  Granted, I printed the postage online and didn't weight it, but holy shit it's expensive to ship that thing.

That's the only thing I don't like about it. I can ship two large Flat Rate boxes with 10 - 12 oz., 5 - 750 ml beers, a fiver of cigars, and a beer glass for about $31.00.

An extra step I always do as well is get a large garbage bag and put it in first to line the box with, then I pack everything inside the bag.  Sort of as an added insurance that just in case anything breaks it wont leak everywhere.  Its not fool-proof, but luckily I've had no issues so far.

So I'm guessing using trained carrier pigeons to transport this precious cargo is not advised?

I put each bottle in a ziplock bag before bubble wrapping. Just in case.

I didn't do everything else perfect, though, as I've had some break. Never had a wet box upon arrival, though.

CMontoya79 said:
So I'm guessing using trained carrier pigeons to transport this precious cargo is not advised?
Not unless you want to risk fowl tasting beer.