• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How was your week?

Two 50+ hour work weeks developing new education programs for the summer and hosting 30 kids from Molokai this week for a three day program at the museum. Then, I actually had to find time in there to do MY job. I spent a good portion of the last week running around like a chicken with its leg cut off finalizing my own program's trip to Maui over the next two weeks. But, everything is as done as it is going to get right now, so it is what it is and we've got what we've got at this point.

I thought I was retired...

So another week, another late post. Last week, my wife was home for most of the week, which is a change from the past few months. Like I said before, this is her busy time of the year and from February to end of May, she travels alot. The past month, my son has been cutting in his 2 year molars and as a result, his normal routine and character has been completely out of wack. So having her home was a blessing. Obviously this weekend was Mothers Day which has always been tough for me because I have a weird relationship with my mom, and my mother inlaw is, well, a typical mother-inlaw. With everything that was happening this weekend, it was tough to find a time when my son and I could carve out time for just my wife. I must admit, I was having some serious Man PMS. Luckly my wife was understanding and like usually, we were both on the same page with each other. I'm glad that last week was over. This coming week, ie today, is the final week on the calendar of crazy travel. My wife is out of town for 3 days and is hoping to take a day off at the end of the week. I'm looking forward to Thursday when she is back and can enjoy her company again.
On to the basement fixing, we are trying to decide what kind of flooring we want to replace our carpet with. Our contractor recommended a product called Pergo Max Premium. It sounds great in terms of durability for our 90 pound dog but I am concerned that it is too water sensitive. The manufacturer says not to wet mop which does not seam feasible to us. I would love to know what people think of Pergo Max Premium, esp with regards to moisture and more so mopping and drink spills as it would be installed in our walkout basement bar area. So If you can tell me what you know about Pergo Max Premium and how it does with spills, wet dogs, and mopping, I would love to hear your experiences.

Don't forget dog claws. Some of those floors do not do well with that. I had Danes for years. (they're addictive) Talk about instant gouges.

If your basement has a nice cement floor, have you considered a stain? Then maybe some decent throw rugs. I am very leary of a nice finished floor, in a basement, if any chance of plumbing issues. (depending on your home's construction)

wow, cannot believe that it is Monday already. So, with regards to the flooring, we are in the process of comparing Pergo to Tile. The Pergo does good with dog claws, and I did a few tests on how well the Pergo does with water spills and saturation. Both were good enough for us to feel comfortable selecting it as our non-tile option. So now our contractor is pricing up the two options for us and we will see what the dollars look like. We looked at a couple of vinyl flooring options, but didn't like them. So while we are waiting to hear back from our contractor, we are lining up our carpet for the small section of our basement which will still have carpet, and trying to do whatever other projects in the basement that we held off on for fear of spilling something on the carpet- now not an issue since it will get torn out shortly.

So my wife's crazy travel schedule is over and is just doing her regular travel. This past weekend, we hung out and didnt really do a whole lot. It hit me how tired and exhausted we both were. I guess it took some down time to have it set in. We are both glad that our operation tempo can come down a few notches and we can go back to enjoying some of the more important things in life, rather then seeing them as obligations.

Lastly, with regards to the FDA stuff, please go out and sing the petitions that CRA has going on. The White House on needs a lot of signatures, and the CRA form letters to your congressmen and senators are important. I have found some of my elected representatives supportive of the various bills aimed at supporting the cigar industry, and one that needs to start looking for a new job when his election cycle comes up. Please click on the links below and help make our voices heard. Or go to Cigar Coop's blog for the links.
http://cigar-coop.com/2016/05/cigar...n-response-to-fda-rule-on-premium-cigars.html

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...s-option-1-final-rule-premium-handmade-cigars

Back on Maui again this week.

Commence the older-than-you-think-you-are-you're-gonna-feel-this-in-the-morning drinking...

Aaaaaaand... I'm done (for).

*In the nature of the thread, the last week was awesome.

Car's in the shop (Toyota Solara). Alternator went, apparently in a sort of instant manner. Light came on about a mile from a major intersection. When I hit the gas, it sputtered and died. Getting it towed to the shop worked out well. Asked my mechanic to do a thorough 70+ point check to hopefully avoid any shorter term surprises. (I need to make a big pot of Pasta e Fagioli for my buddy who helped me)

Car's getting old, but need to find a job before getting anything newer. I like the Impala, but need to look up reliability ratings. Toyotas have been my most reliable cars. Have a Camry rental, and it is a really nice car. A more bells and whistles option. My modern high tech son loves it. haha!

My son has 7 more days of school before summer break. We need to get down to FL to see my mom, so hopefully sometime in June I can swing a trip. She has been in and out of nursing homes since breaking her hip about 1.5 yrs ago. 86 years old. Maybe 87 (I suck with ages) Today is actually her birthday.

Waiting to hear from Mechanic. Looking for work, cooking, cleaning, and yard work. Spring has fully sprung! That's all!

Last week sucked. Had a colonoscopy. The GI Doc filled me with enough air to re-float the Titanic. Removed 22 polyps. Depending on the pathology report, I may need to have another sooner than I care to. BTW, If you're 50 or older, and haven't had one, get it done. It could save you from an early, not very pleasant, demise.

Doc

Last week sucked. Had a colonoscopy. The GI Doc filled me with enough air to re-float the Titanic. Removed 22 polyps. Depending on the pathology report, I may need to have another sooner than I care to. BTW, If you're 50 or older, and haven't had one, get it done. It could save you from an early, not very pleasant, demise.

Doc

Here's to hoping the report is a good one.

Last week was a little messed up. We found out that on the 6th, the International for our local union put our office in trusteeship. Ever since our head guy was elected in 2011 he has been under criticism. Now apparently, they had some evidence that could make it stick. Finding out a few days ago that the union had purchased a beach front home for member use was the real kicker. When were the members going to be told of this? Idiot.

Today I am 35 years young. To celebrate my wife took off from work yesterday, got a baby sitter and we went to play 9 holes at a nearby golf course. Even though we played like we hadn't touched a club in a year- cuz we hadn't- it was still a ton of fun, and we improved with each hole. The weather was fantastic, the scenery was amazing, and we didnt have another twosome with us. Could not have asked for anything better. Then we had lunch at Devils Backbone. She sent me off to the cigar store once we got back and i walked into a Perdomo Event which was nice. We meet up at free outdoor concert where we ran into a bunch of friends, some of which we hadn't seen in a bit. It was a fantastic day. Great way to end a pretty good week.
So the rest of the week: We decided to go with tile for our basement- well 2/3rds of our basement and carpet for the rest. It was a chunk of change to upgrade from carpet but we figured that it was the right investment. So we are going with a wood looking and textured porcelain tile. We are going to pick out the little bit of carpet we are replacing, and the tile/grout so that our contractor can get working. We are excited about the decision. Of all of the opinions and bits of advice we received, the one consistent thing we heard was to go with tile if possible.
This weekend I'm watching some of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse games and we have a pig picking tomorrow afternoon.
How was your week?

We decided to go with tile for our basement
Nice. I like the tile that looks like wood. Typically has a nice texture too. Just make sure you save some extra for any possible repairs.

I decided to take a whirlwind trip to FL to see my 86 yr old Mom in rehab. Car was in the shop and I had a top-o-the-line Camry Rental. Too tempting for a road trip. Mom's been having a rough go of it after a hip fracture a while back. Hip healed well, but her knee is a mess, so she can't walk. She also needs cataract surgery so she can see properly to manage her diabetes. Vicious cycle of not reading the sugar or insulin doses correctly which messes with her mind. I think she is finally at a point where she needs semi-constant to constant supervision. She doesn't want to live with any of us. I.e., she's bound and determined to have her own space, kitchen, bathroom, etc.
Back was killing me on the way down, but I just stopped a lot and used pillows, kept changing the seat adjustments, etc. Was betterer on the ride back. I hope to be able to go for a week or two in June or July.
My son has 2 more days of School, and I'm unemployed, so it looks like we'll have some great pal around time at least for part of the summer vacation. Gotta squeeze in as much as possible the first month or so, depending on Job prospects. It's really weird looking for a job after 25 years of the same job. A lot has changed.

Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a relaxing day. Well-deserved.

MM, best of luck on the job search, but the time with your son is a silent blessing. He will remember the time together regardless of the circumstances. We'll keep your mom and your family in our thoughts.

Me... the work trip that has consumed my professional life for the last two months is finally in the rearview. The first week on Maui was amazing: great students, great support from the schools and teachers, and many great contacts made for our (hopefully) next return trip in October or November. The second week was quite the opposite of the first, unfortunately. I can't really blame the students for being little assholes (some of them truly were), but there was no support from the school, and it all snowballed downhill. I'd still call it a successful venture, though, as I learned a lot about what NOT to do for the next time.

Lots of teenager drama while I was gone, and it seemed that my 9-year-old was injuring herself in a different way every day. But, I'm home now, if at least for a few days. Offspring No. 1 has been sucking up to me hoping to get her phone and computer back, and I'm spending quality time with The Short One watching "Unlikely Animal Friends" on Netflix while cuddled up on the couch or on the bed. Tomorrow and Tuesday are going to be busy at work making up for the last week. Then, Tuesday evening I'm back on a plane bound for NOLA where my buddy and I are headed on a road trip to the Indianapolis 500. I've been waiting for this trip for a year and a half, but man... I can't wait for May to be over so I can relax for a while!

Not bad this week. I spent most if it trying to hire two more people at my lumberyard. Wife and little girls split out yesterday morning to the in-laws' so I would have time to replace two doors and repaint the bathroom. Have managed to spend the weekend in a buzzed state of mind, with a few cigars and bowls of tobacco to boot. Hope the paint still looks good when I come down :)

Well what a super up and down week. My wife had decided she wanted to move so I spent hours scouring the internet and apps for a house... Finally found one after looking at a few and it was 3.5 times the size of our current house. It was a beaut!

However a few nights ago I was laying restless in bed and thought hit me... If we applied the same house payment that we had budgeted for this giant house towards our current house how long would it take payoff? The answer 5 yrs. Sooo we are staying put for 5 more yrs..

This last week has had a lot of consternation but at that moment I felt peace. So in five yrs or sooner we will be debt free and be able to do whatever we want... Even get a bigger house.

So I will be around here more, instead of on the Zillow app. Which is amazing if your looking for houses.

Well, my Mom's out of rehab. Crazy week. Countless hours working the phone with Mom, Insurance agent, medicare, medicaid, rehab center, doctors, relatives, Mom's friends, etc.
She's a stubborn and proud woman (which I prefer, to a degree) but it can be more of a challenge.
Main thing is she needs constant supervision, and she was bound and determined to go home., to her own home, bathroom, kitchen, etc. Can't blame her, at all.

Finally found a homebody woman who was living with another of her close friends. Idea is she would live with mom and provide supervision. Mom kept changing her mind because of misplaced guilt. This lady doesn't work, and likes the idea of having rent free accommodations. She is not a stranger, which is good. Very kind and compassionate, so we feel pretty good. She proactively spent about a full day in the rehab learning all of the details of my mom's care. (not much, diet, read blood sugar, dose insulin, type insulin, and how to get her up and down into wheelchair. So, I think Mom is squared away for a little while.

Now I think I can catch up on stuff I had to let slip.

So its been a great two weeks. The week before Memorial Day Weekend my son and I traveled to DC with my wife on one of her trips up there. Once we dropped her off for her meetings/etc. we went and played at the Building Museum for a bit. Also hit up one of the liquor stores in MD and got some Basil Haden, and Zaya 12yr- the old kind. We had a play date on our way out of town with a old friend of ours who was in DC to visit family. MDW was spent watching college lacrosse- great games by the way, laying low and generally taking it easy. Given the past few weeks and months, this was preferable to the alternative. Plus, the weather wasnt the most inspiring for outdoors activities. My wife had off on Friday so she got a 4 day weekend out of it which suited her well.

This week has flown by. I guess when you start the week on a Tuesday, that happens but it is nice that tomorrow is Saturday again. This week has been hot and humid like crazy. Its like we went from Spring with the rain and mild temps to August's heat and humidity over a matter of days. Been at the Splash Park/Play Grounds every day this week and Parker and I are beat. I love being a Stay At Home Dad and being able to relive my childhood, but man, I'm not 2 anymore. The other exciting thing this week, is that I took advantage of a lot of MDW sales on cigars and everyday there has been a new box in the mail for me. But that is another post for another thread.

How was your week and how was last weekend?