• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O! Baby Salomones MAY08 (3rd Review)

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
(Review done Sunday morning May 15)

Another beautiful weekend! Had a huge yard sale yesterday; lots of work and not much made. But, still got some things gone I didn’t need/want anymore. Sitting out back this morning, and while it’s a bit on the cool side with a fairly strong breeze blowing, it still feels great out. I'm mostly under the gazebo shade, but have my legs/feet in the sun.

I know there was a thread I ran across regarding my friend John (Johnny-O!) and his cigars saying to beware, that kind of thing. I've had a lot of dealings with John and have never had any issues. Sure some smokes are hit and miss, but what smokes aren't? Anyway, I did reply in that thread that I'd get this review up, so here it is!

I had actually smoked the last I had of these a long time back; however, a friend who I sold a fiver to, reached out to me saying he had given up cigars and wanted to know if I wanted to buy back all those I had sold him. Well, needless to say…lol! In those cigars I got back, which was probably about two years ago, were these same saolomones I had bought from John back eight years ago! I was tickled!

Link to the 2nd review on these Johnny-O! Salomones MAY08 (2nd Review)

I really like this vitola, with both ends tapered, not sure why John calls them baby salomone because it is definitely not a baby. The wrapper is a gorgeous rustic looking brown with the center vein running the length. It had very little give feeling quite solid, but the weight light in the hand. After slicing off the head, I find the draw not too open and not too closed, but just right. Flavor in the cold draw is straightforward tobacco, maybe a hint of raisin and slight mustiness. I light the tapered foot, and immediately the smell of the smoke brings back memories.

The first good draw is downright fantastic, with the taste at first seeming like mild vanilla bean mixed with fresh baked bread, sweet on the lips and front of the tongue. Tons of smoke was coming through with very little effort having a light mouth feel.

Further in, I got strong tastes of grass/hay with a load of woody and worn, strong leather. What really comes to my mind as I’m smoking this, is meaty. I mean I’m picturing a thick, juicy steak, rare to medium-rare. Great googly moogly this is good! There’s a perfect amount of spiciness on the back of the tongue and in the nose, like a sprinkling of white pepper.

As mentioned, the smoke has a light mouth feel, the body medium with the strength medium as well. The draw is just right with a decent burn and somewhat flaky gray ash forming, which falls off about an inch in. There’s no coning at all; wrapper, binder and filler all burning perfectly together.

I keep trying to snap a picture of the hummingbirds showing up at the feeders hanging up, but sure enough every time I put the camera down to type, smoke or take a drink, another one shows up. There’s also the tiny no-see-ums out, tiny little buggers that sting like fire wherever they land. Aggravating, but still a beautiful day! The cigar is smoking fantastic, and consistent as I head through the midway mark. Just incredibly good straightforward tobacco flavor that is woody with tons of leather.

As I’m finishing up the cigar, I finally snap a picture of a hummingbird, although it's not that great. Damn things are like lightning!

As I head towards the end of the smoke, flavors of wood/leather did get somewhat stronger in the finish with a bit of charred taste. But, what an amazing smoke! Just an incredibly meaty smoke, would have been so good after having had steak with a glass of cabernet. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I think I'm definitely going to be grilling a big 'ol steak on the grill later!

Great review! Just curious was the diagonal cut of the cap intentional? I've never seen someone do it like that.

edit - typo. stupid auto-correct.

Last edited:
Great review! Just curious was the diagonal cut of the cap intentional? I've never seen someone donut like that.

I don't cut mine that way, but I have seen many do it. I think the thought is that when the smoke is drawn, you can draw it directly to your palate.

That hummingbird has ghost wings in one photo and no wings in the other! Must be one of them fancy chameleon hummingbirds.

Great review as always! So neat to see how these Johnny-O's age. Looking forward to having a few of my own age out that way. :)

I've usually cut salomons and torpedos with a slant, I was told that it prevents unraveling but haven't noticed a difference when I cut them straight.

Great review, I think I have one of these from about 5 years ago buried somewhere.

Thank you for the well done review.

I've usually cut salomons and torpedos with a slant, I was told that it prevents unraveling but haven't noticed a difference when I cut them straight.

Great review, I think I have one of these from about 5 years ago buried somewhere.
Unraveling has nothing to do with it. The idea behind the slanted cut is to direct the smoke to the palate. This is only done with figurados.

Doc

Holy crap, look what the cat dragged in! Nice review, good to see you again.

Great review Greg. I recently bought a bundle of Shorts, and while some felt a bit underfilled they have all smoked wonderfully. I only have a few left. I don't think I've ever had a bad one.

Thanks all! Yep, that's the Dick cut (sup Brandon!) to direct smoke towards the palate. Ahhh it's good to be back! :D

Great review, as always. I need to give these a try. I shy away from virtually anything with the word 'salamone' next to it since I have had across the board bad luck with that vitola.