• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More geeky stuff

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
For those that know what I'm going to talk about, I just picked up a brand new, still in plastic, SC846TQ with the dual internal SSD mount, DVD kit and redundant 900W PS for under $200.................wait for it..............

DELIVERED!

Got to get some odds and ends to get it up and running like a fan out for the header cable so I can use my Intel MB and I need an extension for one of the 8 pin power lines. Minor stuff for a killer deal.

Holy crap, had to google the part number, new egg shows that to be $1300.00

What are you plans for it!
It is going to be my new Media server. I have a 16 bay one that is full with 3TB drives and my backup server can only hold 12 drives so I get to upgrade both and it gives me some time to do drive capacity upgrades on the backup to keep up with the soon to be 20 drives in the new server. Right now I have 52TB (raw) in the main server but that will be going up to 64 in a few months but I only have 44 TB on the backup but hope to have that up to 56 by the end of September and then eventually 64. However, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry so we'll see.

It is pretty intimidating when looking at raw storage but then you have to realize that a advertised 3TB drive is really 2.72 TB and then there is 25% taken out for redundancy and then OS overhead so 16 3TB drives of advertised space is really about 31TB of useable storage space. Then of course, you have to backup that data too. I'm about 71% full and I start looking to expand when I hit 80% but this deal came along so I started early. When I'm done I should be good for 4-5 years instead of the 18 months I normally have before I start looking to expand into bigger or more drives.

70 TB of Digital goodness coming off the test bench...provided I can pick it up :eek:
index.php