• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Michelin flambe story

GrouchoM

The secret phrase is cigars! ! !
Woke up early this morning to a rear side driver flat on my car. Begrudgingly put on spare,and drove to tire shop. Looking to pay $7 for a patch or plug. Found these were $9 & $6 respectively. Ask for plug, told patch was better. Wanted to definitely save the $3, but owner walks by and sees I have 2nd leak. I go still $9 for both. He goes, "two holes, two patches, $18". I was getting less happier by the moment. But, agreed. Then the tire tech did something I had never seen before and set the inside of the tire on fire to patch it. It was so cool, I was like whoa, now that's worth $18. Never saw anything like it...sorry, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects. Tire patched, but left thinking it's definitely time for new tires...but that's another story, for another day.

BTW, really long screw was the cause. Damn, in Houston it's either potholes tearing up your suspension or nail and screws puncturing your tire.20160406_111124.jpg 20160406_112100.jpg

Last edited:
I put a huge gouge in a tire and cracked a 16" rim by hitting some shrapnel on the freeway. Ended up changing the flat on the freeway with cars zooming past me a few feet away while at dusk. Good times. It all could have ended there.

Seen them set the entire tire on fire to put a patch. Don't remember what the reason was for doing that. They are right though patches are better then the plugs. $3 is worth it for piece of mind.

I thought this was going to be a restaurant story about a great dish you ate.

LOL I initially thought the same thing, Michelin (rating agency) and flambe! Waiting for how many stars.

Save the screw and use it for a nub tool, others here do that.

Last edited: