• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre-Embargo Cubans

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
I was at the local shop this weekend, and saw they had pre-embargo cubans. Has anyone ever smoked one of these before? I've never seen anyones like them, and thought about picking some up to try out. They run about 13 a stick, and wondered if anyone else had gotten. They are limit one per customer, so let me know your thought before they are gone. Thanks guys.

KayakinBoy said:
I was at the local shop this weekend, and saw they had pre-embargo cubans. Has anyone ever smoked one of these before? I've never seen anyones like them, and thought about picking some up to try out. They run about 13 a stick, and wondered if anyone else had gotten. They are limit one per customer, so let me know your thought before they are gone. Thanks guys.
What brand? Anyway, just buy the real thing if you want a Cuban cigar.

By and large they are a rip off. If they actually have any pre-embargo cuban tobacco its usually very little. Were it not illegal :lookup: I would suggest you just stick with the real thing.

They came from the Tinderbox. They don't have a band or anything like that to get info off of. I'll return tommorow and get more. I've only had one cuban. I need to get a couple of them. Anyone wanna trade?

Have you done a newbie sampler trade? If not thats a good way to go.

Did some looking online tonight. here's the cigar I bought the other day. Not smoked it yet. Might go buy some more if it's good.

Pre-Embargo Cuban Cigars -
100% Cuban tobacco from 1958 - 1960

The current tobacco being used by Armando Ramos to construct the PINAR line of Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars came from the Grossman Estate in Tampa. The Grossman family was involved in the cigar business in Tampa when everything being rolled was Cuban tobacco. The Sr. Grossman died almost 25 years ago and a large quantity of pre embargo Cuban tobacco was tied up in Probate while his estate was being settled. One of his sons finally inherited the tobacco and realizing the value, decided to hold on to it. The tobacco had been in a 70F/70% environment since it was imported in '58, '59'and '60. In the late stages of the Clinton administration, rumors were that the Embargo would be lifted as one of Clinton's last acts as President. The Grossman son, if this happened, realized that his holdings would be be greatly devalued. He sold his tobacco to the Puros International de Armando Ramos, Inc. (PINAR) in 1999. The tobacco is sent to Equador to be rolled and blended and then shipped back to the US. It has gone through Customs 3 times and is well documented to be authentic.

This is the one I got:

P3000 - 100% Pre Embargo Cuban Tobacco - long filler. These cigars are some of the smoothest I've ever smoked. Medium to full strength with superb richness and flavor.
Pinar-P3000.jpg

Here's the web site

Cubans

Step away from those Pinars as fast as you can! Trust me on this.

A friend brought me 2 supposed pre-emabrgo Cubans from a recent trip to Phoenix. I thanked her as she thought she was doing me a great favor, tried 1 of the sticks, promptly threw the other in the trash, and told her how great they were. That would be my second experience with pre-embargos and the first was no better. For what it's worth.

HA HA. I take it I might not want to give this one a try then. Well, I'll have to hurt myself atleast once. Then I'll give it another try. And I'll stay away. gotta try a cigar twice to make sure you hate it. I'll let you know tommorrow what I think. Although, I think I might give it a fair chance lol. Thanks guys.

Don't let the price you paid cloud your taste buds.

No offense but these cigars were made for people similar to you.... a bit uneducated in the cigar world yet willing to plop down $13 bucks on a cigar they know nothing about. The pre embargo story I believe has been questioned but never proven one way or the other. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... which is likely. :)

On a good night I've vomited a better taste than these cigars. LOL! ;) :D

KayakinBoy said:
The current tobacco being used by Armando Ramos to construct the PINAR line of Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars came from the Grossman Estate in Tampa. The Grossman family was involved in the cigar business in Tampa when everything being rolled was Cuban tobacco. The Sr. Grossman died almost 25 years ago and a large quantity of pre embargo Cuban tobacco was tied up in Probate while his estate was being settled. One of his sons finally inherited the tobacco and realizing the value, decided to hold on to it. The tobacco had been in a 70F/70% environment since it was imported in '58, '59'and '60. In the late stages of the Clinton administration, rumors were that the Embargo would be lifted as one of Clinton's last acts as President. The Grossman son, if this happened, realized that his holdings would be be greatly devalued. He sold his tobacco to the Puros International de Armando Ramos, Inc. (PINAR) in 1999. The tobacco is sent to Equador to be rolled and blended and then shipped back to the US. It has gone through Customs 3 times and is well documented to be authentic.

[/quote]
There was a post on this board a month or so back with a link to a site where someone debunked this "Pre embargo" tabacco stuff.

The gist of it was that a bail of leaves (I think he used that term) would rot after 45 years. If someone remembers this link, maybe they can repost it here.

I've had the Pinar robusto,,,dark,,,enjoyed the first one and went back to get another and was BAD really BAD
INCONSISTENT

Allofus123 said:
The pre embargo story I believe has been questioned but never proven one way or the other. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... which is likely. :)

On a good night I've vomited a better taste than these cigars. LOL! ;) :D
Thanks to Joe for the link.

Here is what was in Smoke Magazine:

7) “OUR CIGARS USE GENUINE PRE-EMBARGO CUBAN TOBACCO!”
Don’t buy it. While experts have varying opinions on several other subjects discussed here, on this one virtually all agree. The Cuban embargo happened in 1962, and no cigars or tobacco have been shipped to this country (at least, not legally) since then. Some U.S.-based cigar manufacturers did have the foresight to stockpile the raw material when they saw the Embargo coming, and did make cigars with actual Cuban leaf while supplies lasted. But those supplies, according to those in the know, are now long gone.
Henry “Kiki” Berger, who spent years in the Cuban tobacco business before heading up his current cigar company, Tabacalera Esteli, in Nicaragua, is in favor of some kind of official authentication system for tobacco’s origin to prevent disreputable companies from deceiving consumers. “If there is any Cuban pre-embargo tobacco out there today, then I don’t exist,” he states unflinchingly. “There’s just no such thing. If there was any tobacco here from Cuba, it was gone during the Boom. [To claim otherwise] is just lying to the consumer.” As far as cigarmakers claiming the covert use of illicit Cuban leaf in their blends, pre-Embargo and otherwise? “Cuba doesn’t sell tobacco outside of Cuba anymore; they only sell cigars.”

“That tobacco would be dead,” Borhani states incredulously, referring to pre-embargo leaf. “If you don’t roll it into a cigar, tobacco will continue fermenting; heat continues developing in the bales. Tobacco stored for 50 years would be old enough to deteriorate in your hands.”

Best advice is to be suspicious of any cigar not verifiably made in Cuba prior to the embargo (and these do exist; though they are rare, quite expensive, and spotted occasionally at high-end auctions). Rule of thumb is that good cigars, kept in a properly humidified atmosphere, can age for decades, just like good wine. Raw tobacco leaf, even properly maintained, has a much shorter shelf life.

OH LORD HELP ME!

Well, liked I said. I almost always try it twice. I don't think I'll head back for seconds. Guys, I was very wrong. Not only is this cigar packed extremely too tight, but is the stinkiest thing I've ever smoked. My best friend (Who has seen me threw almost every cigar I've smoked and never said this) says "That thing really stinks." The was not bad, but it was just not good. It was NOT, repeat that NOT NOT NOT, worth more than one DOLLAR! And the fact that the draw was very quick to warm up, just made it more gross. I got the biggest size they had, and got really bad draw 1/2 down. Then, after that, the smoke was the weirdest color I'd ever seen. The ash also was nothing like I was used to seeing. Guys, this is a never smoke again cigar.

Yes, those Pinars are awful. Again, if anyone is really considering going the pre-embaro Cuban route in the first place, go for a Gurkha instead. Those from the 40's or those from the 50's are pretty damn good actually. But definitely stay away from these Pinars.

Glad to see you learned your lesson, even if it came at a slight price. :) :)

After one of those KING SIZE DOG ROCKETS, I would vomit too! I about died after my first Opus. It was an XXX, and I was laying in the bathroom for a good ten minutes. I felt like such a loser. then I got my tolerence up lol.

Shadow said:
Step away from those Pinars as fast as you can! Trust me on this.
I was at a shop this weekend, which featured some pinars for sale. At roughly $10.50 a stick, I was tempted to try some forbidden leaf. I went against it and bought an Opus X instead, but I had to think long and hard about it. Glad that I made the right choice, especially since reading Maggs44 post. The tobacco shop had little certificates of authenticity and a short description of how the tobacco got into the country. If you have to put forth a lot of proof to convince people, then something is up, or at least that was my thinking at the time. Thank god I didn't waste my money, I would've been depressed after reading this thread. :D

Yes, they are horrible. I took one for the team trying it lol.