• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Private Stock natural maduro

GrouchoM

The secret phrase is cigars! ! !
Name: Private Stock

Manufacturer: Davidoff/Avo

Filler: Dominican (mid)

Wrapper: Connecticut

Price: $3.99

20160305_213728.jpg 20160306_003659.jpg 20160306_005332.jpg 20160306_010242.jpg 20160306_010250.jpg 20160306_011637.jpg

The initial smell was fainter and the bouquet was off for some reason to my nose. Later, I realized it was because this stick only had two flavor profiles, cocoa and coffee.

The draw was fine, but initially pulled very little smoke into my mouth, but soon re-corrected (due to the foot taking longer to fully light the entire end. Best piece of advice I received about lighting a cigar was to make sure the foot was fully ashed by blowing on it before taking more draws. I'm a bit of a rusher, but I'm learning, no premature for me-ruins the smoking experience right out of the gate). What I noticed and why this review will be short (a first for me) there was a harshness that didn't disappear but changed into bitterness and remained through the remainder of the smoke.

The smoke itself fluctuated from dense steam mostly as I exhaled, but rarely to creamy billows of thick swirling cigar smoke bands (which I prefer). The stick burned a little unevenly, and the cherry appeared to smolder almost to the point of going out. I touched it up once to make sure. The ash was a little gnarly on visual inspection.

I had spoke to someone on the forum earlier who said he didn't care for Davidoffs due to them not packing a lot of punch. Which I agree. This may have been a hybrid 2nd, but it was a dog of a smoke and a bad experience trying to get value from a smoke someone else informs you “is the best tobacco in the discount section”. I think I will revisit this stick way down the road and take one members advice of giving it a lot of humi time (I smoked it a few hours right out of my former B&M crappy humidor).

The other most memorable part was the weird taste it left in my mouth, nay the sensation. I wound up with a severe case of dry mouth and was stuck with this bitterness aftertaste (which stayed with me 24 hours later).

Sadly, I don't think this was a case of bait and switch but an attempt at maximizing profits by trying to create a Frankenstein monster off of a sterling reputation and company. When I read the label on the bag I noticed it said “natural maduro”. I asked the B&M employee who agreed that was strange and google the answer. He said some companies will mix seeds to come out with a hybrid blend batch for sale to specific companies or markets. Apparently, this was such a hybrid. I mean noticeably it was smooth, but as my other member stated “where's the punch (pop) and flavor (it was extremely mild). All I know is that it left me with a horrid smoking experience. The kind I'm glad after numerous bad sticks in I can notice. I'd label it a dog rocket, but because of the pedigree I'll just say, maybe after some extreme humi time and a cool summer night there might be a connection, a spark, an attraction. Sadly, tonight Davidoff's 2nds were like 4ths, maybe even 5ths and a definite miss. Next!

Last edited:
Factories can produce cigars for a number of labels. Just because this was produced in the same factory as some Davidoffs doesn't make it a Davidoff. It just means the people doing the rolling may be the same. If anything, the rollers who make this level of cigar could be the trainees/interns. Also, the quality of input matters. Crap in = crap out. So it shouldn't be a big surprise that your $2 cigar wasn't a good experience.

Two recommendations for you in the ~$4 range: Brickhouse and Illusione "R" Rothchildes. Better to smoke one good cigar then several crappy cigars that give 24 hours of bitter cigar taste.

In addition to MichaelD's suggestions, try some "Oliva" offerings. Their budget bundle stuff is a huge seller, although I haven't smoked any. The G, O, and V series are all respectable cigars for the money. Buying boxes or fivers, at auction, is typically cost effective.

Or ya can buy some Buena Vistas. Either reserva or the superior edicion limitada 08. Read up and you'll see what people think about them.

Buying boxes or fivers, at auction, is typically cost effective.

Speaking of auctions - Famous Smokes' auction site can be a good source for inexpensive cigars. The only challenge is not getting caught up and over-bidding. Early on I placed a few orders through the auction site to get a broad sampling of cigars. A lot of stuff ended up sucking, but once you know what to look for, it can save you a ton of money. For example, I get my boxes of Crowned Head Jericho Hills via auction and typically pay around $96 for the box. That comes to $4 per cigar that retails for around $10. For some reason they just don't get much attention from regular bidders. If it's a "hot" brand, expect to face a lot more competition.

Crowned Head Jericho Hills
Yea, I've not had any Crowned heads cigars, but have heard lots of praise. Sounds like they blend to the sort of complexity I like, which is a lot of flavors going on at once. I keep meaning to get some, but I keep jumping on deals of stuff I know I love.

Yea, I've not had any Crowned heads cigars, but have heard lots of praise. Sounds like they blend to the sort of complexity I like, which is a lot of flavors going on at once. I keep meaning to get some, but I keep jumping on deals of stuff I know I love.
Let me send you a couple in the sizes I have first. Best way to make sure before you go buying full boxes. Then again if you don't like them and you have a full box you want to get rid of....

Let me send you a couple in the sizes I have first. Best way to make sure before you go buying full boxes. Then again if you don't like them and you have a full box you want to get rid of....
Thanks, Very kind, but already have my vendor working on a sampler.

We might consider doing a short thread on who " makes" what. Hopefully I don't get my ole azz in a sling, but I believe Ashton is a Fuente product, Oliva Saison ( which I feel is a grand smoke ) is labeled Saison, by Oliva, they do not make it, Fuente has how may lines that don't say Fuente.

This is the place ( CP ) where you will get an honest opinion, yea or nay. To me, a B&M is in the business to sell and it's one persons opinion. Here, you get the have the chance to listen or ignore. I might also say that everyone would like to find a really got $2 stick, I sure the heck would, perhaps with the exception of Buena Vista which is decent.

Take another look at the thread line in the sand. It speaks volumes.

As Tony Soprano would say, make sure to send me my cut...crown head lovers speak highly of them. I see a lot of cigar vets rep My Father, Padron and Olivos exclusively, while watching them at the B&M smoking lounges...I'm paying attention to what people smoke than what they recommend (CH was the only logo that was very distinctive...like a Richard the Lion heart crest).

@MadMonk how fortunate, but oh where will @MichaelD send those couple of crowns he offered? Where? Oh where? (I'm oiling up my catcher's mitt). Lol.

Typically it is not considered good form to even joke about someone sending you cigars that were offered up to someone else even if they refused then. Nor is it good form to ask for your cut. We spend a long time developing friendships and relationships on this board. When you make comments like the one above it really makes you come across as a mooch. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Typically it is not considered good form to even joke about someone sending you cigars that were offered up to someone else even if they refused then. Nor is it good form to ask for your cut. We spend a long time developing friendships and relationships on this board. When you make comments like the one above it really makes you come across as a mooch. Just my opinion of course.

Apologies, point noted. I will modify my behavior.

We don't delete posts here at CP. It's considered bad form. If you make a mistake own up to it, learn from it and move on. The community as a whole is better for it.

Deleting and editing out your post to try and hide the mistakes doesn't benefit you or the community. There is a reason we quote posts, and in your case it proved to be for a good reason.

Apologies, point noted. I will modify my behavior.
Dude, as I said before. CP Ain't those other places. We've all stepped on our dongs but just follow a simple suggestion that has been made countless times before. Hang out, relax, chill, read more post less. You'll be better for it.

Peace,

C

Dude, as I said before. CP Ain't those other places. We've all stepped on our dongs but just follow a simple suggestion that has been made countless times before. Hang out, relax, chill, read more post less. You'll be better for it.

Peace,

C
Thanks

To follow up on this point - I chose to ignore your first attempt at fishing for free cigars. But now that you did it again, allow me to blunt in my response: I don't know you. You strike as a very eager young person who is short on patience and some social graces. But you write well. Since you basically asked me to send you cigars let be equally up front - I'm not going to to do that. Not right now and not until I feel like there is some sort of friendship or bond that has formed through positive interactions on this board.

Having said that, it's time to buck up. I too stepped on some long stemming CP traditions when I first got here. It wasn't for the lack of not wanting to do right, I simply just missed some of the subtle community norms. Trust me when I says it worth the investment, but you have to step back and observe more then you initiate.

To follow up on this point - I chose to ignore your first attempt at fishing for free cigars. But now that you did it again, allow me to blunt in my response: I don't know you. You strike as a very eager young person who is short on patience and some social graces. But you write well. Since you basically asked me to send you cigars let be equally up front - I'm not going to to do that. Not right now and not until I feel like there is some sort of friendship or bond that has formed through positive interactions on this board.

Having said that, it's time to buck up. I too stepped on some long stemming CP traditions when I first got here. It wasn't for the lack of not wanting to do right, I simply just missed some of the subtle community norms. Trust me when I says it worth the investment, but you have to step back and observe more then you initiate.

Understood.